Confused about browser based or client based

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 1628 Views - Last Post: 20 August 2009 - 08:59 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Java based browser game

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:22 AM

Hello

I've been working on a java game for about a month now, and its going pretty well. Not going to bore everyone with the details about what it is.

But I recently read a post on D.i.C, which kinda left me confused. While my understanding of java is not all that great, its getting there, but I was under the impression that you can imbed java in a website, and do a java based brower game. The post I read was this.

It is it says,

To wrap it up learn these languages:
-HTML
-Javascript
-PHP
-MySQL

... and you'll be on your way.
By e_barroga (note to hang anyone out to dry, just though I would make proper referances).

This leads me to question wether I will require to have an actual game-client for my game, or if I can actually run it via a website?

Perhaps some details are in order, to properly evaluate wether or not it actually can run in a browser.

There will be some imagery, with regards to some psudo-3d graphics. One example that comes readily to mind is a sun with an orbiting planet. Is this possible to run in a browser, or is that outside the scope. I admit I havent researched it myself, with regards to the psudo-3d.

But when I search google for it, it appears there are quite alot of results for it. But again, not too knowlegdable about java, so not sure about it.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Java based browser game

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Java based browser game

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:36 AM

With Java you have the ability to create applets. An applet is a Java program that runs inside the browser, like Runescape. There are a few security restrictions on a Java applets.

You will need to know at least a little HTML to create Java applets. ie you will have to create a page that would host the applet and the page has specific tags for setting up your applet.

For browser based game there are other options. You can do what e_barroga has said with HTML, Javascript, MySQL and PHP. (AJAX wouldn't hurt either.)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Barbarbar
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:40 AM

Typically PHP gets recommended for browsergames because the person recommending it has only ever used PHP - so they recommend it, and go along their merry way.

However, you can build a game in anything you want - I've seen games done in Ruby on Rails, Python, Perl, PHP, Java, and even Delphi - if you know what you need to in order to get it done in your language of choice, there's nothing holding you back from doing it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 August 2009 - 08:59 AM

Excellent, I was just somewhat concerned that I might be limited with regards to the graphical part of the game, when run in a browser.

However, I could still change that particular design point, and use an actual game-client.

But thanks for the clarification.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1