Silverlight 3 Browser Support Coincidence I think not!

Why Silverlight 3 doesn't support opera or chrome

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 1926 Views - Last Post: 22 August 2009 - 01:22 PM

• if(coden4fun.NotTired){ ContinueToCode(); }
  • member icon

• View blog

Silverlight 3 Browser Support Coincidence I think not!

Posted 22 August 2009 - 12:55 PM

Silverlight 3 supports Internet Explorer from version 6 through 8, Safari 3 and 4, and Firefox 2 and 3, but it doesn't support browsers of Opera, and Chrome. This is definitely interesting, since I have a sneaky suspicion that Microsoft did this absolutely on purpose.

Here's the source that says MS writes Chrome and Opera off the list http://technochase.c...ht-3-unleashed/

Now we all know that Google and Microsoft are intense fierce rivals. Each of them attacking and defending their code, and IP's from search engine, cloud computing, to even soon seeing a Google OS that can compete against windows.

So not having a Silverlight 3 support for Chrome really another small attack from Microsoft not prohibiting Google fan Chrome users to have a runtime of Silverlight 3 or is it a shot in the foot? Frankely I say it's a shot in the foot.

Also, I believe awhile back we a had a post up saying that Opera was trying to sue Microsoft, or encourage Microsoft to have other operating systems distributed with Windows, which Microsoft of course declined. I'm sure this scuffle didn't have anything to do with Microsoft making up it's mind of writing off Opera from having any Silverlight 3 support.

My question is with the powerful release of Silverlight 3, and their totalitarian dictartorship decisions of continung to exclude these browsers from a Silverlight 3 plug-in will it eventually kill there market share once we see multi-surface monitors in December as we might see the first multi-touch MS Computing by then?

What are your thoughts?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Silverlight 3 Browser Support Coincidence I think not!

• using System.Linq;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Silverlight 3 Browser Support Coincidence I think not!

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:17 PM

I do not claim my assumptions to be facts, but I think that this is because there are some major compatibility issues. Silverlight 1 was supporting Opera, but later on there were discovered some bugs from Opera's side that prevented Silverlight applications to run correctly. Silverlight 2 was supported in Chrome.

Therefore, if following your idea, why would Microsoft even try to implement Silverlight support on these browsers? Apple (who develops Safari) is one of the biggest competitors of Microsoft, but as you see, Silverlight is supported in Safari.

Therefore your assumption is somewhat biased in this case.

or encourage Microsoft to have other operating systems distributed with Windows

Did you mean, other web browsers? Since you cannot distribute other OSs with an OS.

I don't think that Microsoft is really losing market share by not supporting the above mentioned web browsers. Mainly because of the reason stated above - if Silverlight apps are not working in a specific browser because of a browser-wise set of issues, then that browser is not going to offer the needed user experience anyway.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• A$$hole Extraordinaire.
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Silverlight 3 Browser Support Coincidence I think not!

Posted 22 August 2009 - 01:22 PM

First off, your post screams "conspiracy". But that aside, I did read all of it.
Silverlight is a new technology, it's also a product Microsoft puts out for free. I have not done much reading about it to be honest, but it seems to be just as capable as flash from an end-user point of view. Besides, there's no promises made for products that companies put out for free. Remember all the years that linux had crappy/nonexistant flash support? What about mobile phones now?

Just because a company doesn't bend over backwards developing it's free product for five different browsers doesn't necessarily mean it's got another company in it's sites. They developed for the 3 largest browsers out there. Their task force can only handle so much, seeing as they're pushing out new versions quite rapidly. I've only got version 2 of silverlight installed. They're sacrificing cross-browser compatibility for getting the best and newest stuff out the door.

Also, read the news. Microsoft proposed the new "browser ballot" screen on their own, a screen that lets users decide on their own which browser they want on their machine after purchase/install. Don't accuse them so easily, they're trying their best to be fair, but they're also trying to make money and maintain their market share. That's quite a step forward, even though they were kind-of forced to take it.

I'm not choosing sides here, merely playing devils advocate. I've built a linux distro from "scratch", supported large networks using windows, and my next purchase is going to be a Macintosh. I'm by no means a microsoft fanboy, but give them a little credit, eh? Who's team stayed up all night coding "Moonlight" for linux just so the linux kids could watch the presidential stuff live using silverlight? Think about that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1