What is the best way to layout a site?

Need to choose for my grad. proj.

Page 1 of 1

10 Replies - 1581 Views - Last Post: 23 August 2009 - 08:49 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

What is the best way to layout a site?

Post icon  Posted 22 August 2009 - 07:54 PM

Alright I have chose to remake our schools wrestling website for my highschool graduation project. I choose to do a website because it is the only computer related project my advisor would aprove, my first choise was to do something with programming. But anyways, I am using Photoshop Cs4 and Dreamweaver cs3 along with Fireworks Cs3 availible at my school if need be. I do have novice expirence in creating and hosting web pages but I have only been taught html/ Dreamweaver and have only been taught to lay out pages with tables and especially layout tables with DW. Atm this is what I have using layout tables and im not to impressed: http://www.westyorkwrestling.com ignore the absence of information please, I am only on the designing process at the moment. Now I have seen tutorials online where people will desing a website in Photoshop on a 960px X 1000px sized document and then slice and export it for web. Is it possible then to edit text and what not once you import into dreamweaver or not? Also how do you know what exactly to slice and is this method smiled upon for laying out a site? Also I do not know any CSS but I am pretty sure laying a site in photoshop requires css once you import it DW. All in all what is the best way to layout and design a site? Thanks a ton!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What is the best way to layout a site?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What is the best way to layout a site?

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:13 PM

I've never heard of that PS/FW/DW method. But, I can give some layout insight:

If you want a pretty standard layout, similar to DIC or Facebook, look at the elements of the page. You have horizontal logo. Then a menu below that. To the left and right, there are gadgets like ads, links, etc. In the center, you have your main content. Finaly, some white space, then a footer with copyright, W3C certification, hit counter, etc.

Hope that's what you meant! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 August 2009 - 09:32 PM

View Postkewlkreator, on 22 Aug, 2009 - 08:13 PM, said:

I've never heard of that PS/FW/DW method. But, I can give some layout insight:

If you want a pretty standard layout, similar to DIC or Facebook, look at the elements of the page. You have horizontal logo. Then a menu below that. To the left and right, there are gadgets like ads, links, etc. In the center, you have your main content. Finaly, some white space, then a footer with copyright, W3C certification, hit counter, etc.

Hope that's what you meant! :)

Ha ha not exactly, I know what I want my layout to be, I just don't know the best way to acheive it. Should I just use layout tables in dreamweaver? Or Slice up a template in photoshop then code it with css?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2009 - 12:46 AM

Well from personal experience, though may not be the preferred method, I draw up a basic outline in Fireworks and add color and stuff until I get the perfect design. And yes, you can slice up sections of the website and later edit the text. That would be done in Dreamweaver where you then transfer all the images that were sliced up, into it. I usually use frames, though I have heard that people don't recommend it. Just one thing, you'll need a fast image host because if you slice it up, you wouldn't want some sections to be slower than others.

PS: I think BetaWar created his HLPS in FW then coded in DW, so he may know a few more things.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2009 - 07:10 AM

Hello there,
It's true frames are not to be recommended anymore if you want an optimized website.
I would say the first thing to apply is a table-less design, meaning working with DIVs and CSS a max.
Then, if you know a minimum of php, you could use includes instead of "copying" your design every time.

Hope that helps :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• human.setType("geek");
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:53 AM

If you are going to implement a basic layout for the site with minimal graphics features, using a table layout is the way to go since I find it very an easy, fast, and standard.

Yet, if you are looking into implementing an optimized site with lots of new features, graphics, dynamics etc.. working with DIVs and CSS would be a much better option. Personally, I usually use CSS for layout and I find it much better than tables and thats what I recommend.

As for fireworks and dream weaver I personally don't like using them since they seem to make everything complicated. I usually prefer to hard code the layout in CSS and create my images in photoshop separately so that I can have much better flexibility with the code and at least I know what I am doing when looking into my code instead of making fireworks generatea bulk of CSS code for me. :)

This is just my personal opinion since I had a horrible experience with Fireworks and it messed everything for me when I was going to make a minor change in the code for the layout some time ago :P so I resorted to hard coding my layout.

P.S. Hard coding stuff is much more fun ;)

Hope this helps, good luck :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2009 - 09:25 AM

View Postayman_mastermind, on 23 Aug, 2009 - 07:53 AM, said:

If you are going to implement a basic layout for the site with minimal graphics features, using a table layout is the way to go since I find it very an easy, fast, and standard.

Since when did Table design become standard again ? Using tables to get a design done is an old technique, outdated since a long time and search engine hostile.

This post has been edited by Findarato: 23 August 2009 - 09:25 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• binary decision maker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:08 AM

There is no reason at all to use tables for your layout. It's not 1994 any more, and learning to do something the wrong way is just dumb. It's like saying your project is to build a car and you start by copying how the ancient Greeks did it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2009 - 12:35 PM

Where can I learn to hardcode a layout in css? The curriculum for my web page class was probably made in the early 2000 area hence why we are taught tables for layout and not Div tags with Css
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2009 - 03:10 PM

I started here :
http://www.pageresou...ml/indexcss.htm

But that tutorial is incomplete and most likely not the best around. I would suggest simply googling "CSS tutorials".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I must break you
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 August 2009 - 08:49 PM

I don't really think there is a "best way" to lay out a site. I think it's all personal preference and what you are comfortable wiht.

I'm a fan off laying a site out with CSS
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1