Game development with C++

Intergrating the stages of game development

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 2951 Views - Last Post: 24 August 2009 - 03:15 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Game development with C++

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:27 AM

I have been using 3ds Max for a year now and I believe I am in the intermediate stage as far as 3D modelling and animation is concerned. I know how to create all kinds of movies and cartoons using this beast in combination with other packages. But the real reason I bought it is to become a Games developer. I know the syntax of C++ a great deal, but I don't know where to move next. I need to know how to import my models into Visual Studio Or Java Or Adobe Director and manipulate them. I also wish to know which development environment is the best to base in and why.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Game development with C++

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Game development with C++

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:11 PM

First of all ,3D modelling for games is quit different from modelling for movies,you cant use every feature provided by 3ds max.C++ is the best platform as games are time demanding softwares and huge calculation have to be done in a limmited time so go for C++.I use DirectX to program 3d in C++.Download DirectX SDK from microsoft website then from its helpfiles see the tutorials its a good start as I have done it i found it helpfull.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: Game development with C++

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:15 PM

There is really not that much to know about modeling for games that you don't already know if your that far along with 3DS MAX . The main difference between movies and games is the models have to be rendered in real time, while the movie models can use render farms and render per frame over a much longer period of time.

For you, your real problem is you need to decide upon a path. You can be a modeler, you can be a programmer, but odds are you wont be doing both.

For the use of the modeling you are doing you need to pick an engine first. That will decide the pipeline you are going to use to get your models into the game. For instance if you use Torque Game Engine, you will be modelling in 3DS max, making LOD adjustments and exporting using a 3DS max exporter tool specifically designed for 3DS max to DTS or DIF format, depending on if the object your exporting is static or animated.

Doing this has absolutely nothing to do with programming in Torque's C++ like scripting language. The programming is completely separate.

Getting the models into the games is mostly a function of the 3D engine. You usually wont be writing that until you get to a very advanced stage of programming skill. So once you have your engine picked out.. your model type and information about how to get the model in the game will be dictated by the engine.

You can still get into game programming, its very useful to be able to create your own models and get them into games you design. But the two fields are so complex that you will have to eventually pick one and focus on it. This is where the term "coder art" originates from. A coder is generally not very good at producing art, but sometimes needs to in order to place hold so his program can show that it works.. and then the art is replaced by much better quality work. The weak place holder stuff is called coder art.

Good luck!

Aet
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1