3 Replies - 3230 Views - Last Post: 03 September 2009 - 10:46 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Card Game Development

Post icon  Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:39 AM

Hi, I am new to this site and new to game development.

I want to create a turn based card game with 2 to 4 players. I do not know where to start. I am willing to learn how to do this as i currently have alot of free time. which programme is best suitable for this type of game.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Card Game Development

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Card Game Development

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:39 AM

There are a lot of helpful tips in this post: http://www.dreaminco...wtopic63255.htm

Simply put you will want to learn a programming language first, it doesn't really matter which. You can create games in any language. C++ seems to be the most popular and is almost always used by professional game development companies.

Once you understand a language you will need to start to understand how game graphics work. There are many libraries and SDKs for creating games. DirectX and OpenGL seem to be the most popular for game development. SDL is also great for creating games. (If you want to go the C# route XNA is also a great framework for creating games.) You will want to start small and build up.

Once you have learned a language and some sort of game graphics library or SDK you will need to look into network programming, usually with TCP/IP. (This is a fairly advanced topic.) You will pretty much two options: Client/Server architecture or Peer-To-Peer architecture.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 August 2009 - 08:48 PM

View Postaduncan, on 24 Aug, 2009 - 09:39 AM, said:

Hi, I am new to this site and new to game development.

I want to create a turn based card game with 2 to 4 players. I do not know where to start. I am willing to learn how to do this as i currently have alot of free time. which programme is best suitable for this type of game.

Check out: Game Maker
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 03 September 2009 - 10:46 AM

In addition to learning the programming, I'd make a physical prototype of the card game so you can test gameplay, if you haven't already.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1