Page 1 of 1

Remove the Windows.old folder after a fresh install of Windows Vista Rate Topic: -----

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 August 2009 - 04:17 PM

Recently I have been asked by people how they can remove the Windows.old folder that is left after a fresh install of Windows Vista (any flavor), so I thought I'd take some time to check this out. Right-clicking on the folder and selecting Delete wont do it, it will get part of the way deleted then the system will restart, and it will do this every time you try. So after a lot of trial and error, and of course Microsoft Support, I have found the way of accomplishing this. To remove the Windows.old folder after a fresh install of Vista, follow these steps:
  • Click Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools
  • Click Disk Cleanup
  • In the Disk Cleanup Options dialog, select Files from all users on this computer
    NOTE: If the User Account Control dialog appears, type in your administrator password and click OK, otherwise, click Continue
  • In the Disk Cleanup > Drive Selection dialog, select the HDD (hard drive) you want to clean up, and then click OK.
  • Now wait while Windows checks the computer for unnecessary files. Once that is complete it will list all the unnecessary files (and space that can be freed up by removing them)
  • Once Windows has found all the unnecessary files select the Disk Cleanup tab, then look for the Previous Windows installations check box.
  • Once you find the Previous Windows installations check box, select it and hit OK (If you do not find this check box, go to the next step)
  • When you are prompted to confirm the removal of files, click Delete Files
After you have followed these steps Wait while Windows removes the selected files. Once that is complete your Windows.old folder should be successfully removed.

NOTE: Before you remove the Windows.old folder, make sure that there are no important files in it.

And now you know how to remove the Windows.old folder from your system after you have installed Windows Vista. I hope you have found this tutorial to be helpful and informative. Thanks for reading :)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Page 1 of 1