6 Replies - 655 Views - Last Post: 28 August 2009 - 09:55 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Distributing Visual C# Apps

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:37 PM

I made a program for my wife using Visual C# 2005. I used the "publish" feature with VS2005 and tried the installer on her computer. It only resulted in a quick flash on the screen with no shortcuts in the start menu like it did on mine. (By the way she is running Windows Vista with the UAC disabled and I am running Windows XP Pro). I also tried just running the compiled exe and I got an error. I have also tried this on another Windows XP machine with the same error. The error in question is "The application failed to initialize properly (0xc000007b)".

I tried running the installed for the .net framework that came with the "published" package from VS and Vista stated that the framework has already been installed as part of the operating system. I also downloaded and installed the VC++ redistributable runtime files from microsoft.com without any changes.

The program I made isn't robust or fancy. There weren't any changes made to the project properties, including the command line stuff, etc. However, everything runs just fine on the PC that i compiled it on.

I seem to remember having this trouble a few years ago when i was deployed to Iraq and I made a few things with VB.net. I don't think I ever got it fixed that time either. I was compiling on my Windows 2003 Server box at the time.

Any help at all with this would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks,
Thomas

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Distributing Visual C# Apps

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Distributing Visual C# Apps

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:45 PM

you can try just building the solution with will result in an exe file being built inside the project area
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2009 - 06:56 PM

View Posthadesflames, on 28 Aug, 2009 - 05:45 PM, said:

you can try just building the solution with will result in an exe file being built inside the project area

I've already mentioned that I tried this. That's where I get the error from. The setup doesn't do anything at all.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2009 - 07:11 PM

Yes but you used the "Publish" option right? just try regular build ( ctrl + shift + b )

This post has been edited by hadesflames: 28 August 2009 - 07:11 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Not Your Ordinary Programmer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:33 PM

If you are not using an Express version of visual studio, create a Setup and Deployment project.

Are you sure .Net is installed? That error message does occur when .Net is not installed.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2009 - 08:56 PM

View Posthadesflames, on 28 Aug, 2009 - 06:11 PM, said:

Yes but you used the "Publish" option right? just try regular build ( ctrl + shift + b )

Yes. I tried them both.

I also tried just running the compiled exe and I got an error.

I realize that I didn't state the word "build" in there, but that is what I am saying.

View Posteclipsed4utoo, on 28 Aug, 2009 - 07:33 PM, said:

If you are not using an Express version of visual studio, create a Setup and Deployment project.

Are you sure .Net is installed? That error message does occur when .Net is not installed.

I got it to work on the second XP box. The owner wound up installing the .net framework and all is well on that end. And as far as the Vista box goes, yes, the .net framework is installed.

I tried running the installed for the .net framework that came with the "published" package from VS and Vista stated that the framework has already been installed as part of the operating system.

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:55 PM

Well my wife's computer now needs some serious work. So I won't be trying to install my app on her computer for now. However I'm confident the issue will be resolved. Thanks to everyone for the help.

And I tried that Setup and Deployment project. That's something I hadn't messed with before. Very interesting. Thanks for that tip. :)

Thomas
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1