starting over

lean vb.net , asp.net, ado.net, sql and web development

Page 1 of 1

5 Replies - 1011 Views - Last Post: 31 August 2009 - 09:07 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

starting over

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:13 PM

I am not for certain that I would consider myself a beginner but I have been out of programming for many years. So beginner it is.

I am now 33 fixing to be 34 this October. I work as a Network Administrator and often find myslef working 16 hours a day and being burned out. ( not to say I would not be working long hours as a programmer / developer ) However. what I am wanting to find out is the following.

After all of these years I am still very interested in going back to development.

considering that I am fixing to be 34 is it to late for me to start over and learn the folling ?

vb.net, c++, ado.net, asp.net and also web development. As it stands I have some very good books on these subjects , well all except web development. However between working so many hours and then arriving home late in the day I do at time find that I am having to read and reread the same chapters over and over .

I guess that I am looking for any and all thoughts on this subject. Please feel free to let me know what you think.

Thank you

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: starting over

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Re: starting over

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:52 PM

I will be 34 in March, so I am right there with you in age. My thoughts would be if it is something you want to do...do it. I starting attending college 2 yrs ago for AA in Computer Science. I will finally finish up after this fall. I love program and vb.net is my favorite. I can never get enough. I just created myself a program that will lauch other programs and also web pages. I enjoyed learn how to make and didn't mind spending the time to learn. I don't know if I was much help to you but as I have mentioned if it is something you like doing and don't mind spending your free time, GO FOR IT.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:17 AM

VB.Net is not a sufficient choice - You want more tools/skills - Specifically the Web programming relating to the following acronym collection: XML, HTML, Dynamic HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, Dreamweaver, ColdFusion, Silverlight, Illustrator. The Web side encourages individual creativity and a better possibility of self-employment.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:28 AM

If you want to do it, go for it. Simple as that and I don't believe its ever too late to start. You have a decent selection of languages that you want to try to learn, each with its own pros and cons.

I agree with mark.bottomley on his selection of things to look into for web development, except I believe that Dreamweaver is more of a crutch than anything. Personally, I prefer Notepad++ for my code but to each their own.

To add to his list, you may want to look into Java since it is used for some web applications, as well as SQL (MySQL is my personal choice for a webserver backend, but once again, to each their own).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:13 AM

I just turned 34 last month and am starting over in the programming world. I sold insurance for the past 5 years and just was hired by a company that created a program for insurance companies. I am learning VB.NET, XML, SQL, and maybe JAVA. Stanford Universerity has a great Programming Methodology course on youtube.com. It teaches you the basics of programming, which is mostly universal amongst the languages, using the JAVA language. There are 28 videos, 1 hour each. Definately worth your time to watch them.

Good Luck!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 modi123_1  Icon User is online

• Suitor #2
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:07 AM

View Postteachme32, on 30 Aug, 2009 - 09:13 PM, said:

I am not for certain that I would consider myself a beginner but I have been out of programming for many years. So beginner it is.

I am now 33 fixing to be 34 this October. I work as a Network Administrator and often find myslef working 16 hours a day and being burned out. ( not to say I would not be working long hours as a programmer / developer ) However. what I am wanting to find out is the following.

After all of these years I am still very interested in going back to development.

considering that I am fixing to be 34 is it to late for me to start over and learn the folling ?

vb.net, c++, ado.net, asp.net and also web development. As it stands I have some very good books on these subjects , well all except web development. However between working so many hours and then arriving home late in the day I do at time find that I am having to read and reread the same chapters over and over .

I guess that I am looking for any and all thoughts on this subject. Please feel free to let me know what you think.

Thank you

I guess what sort of thoughts and comments are you looking for? I work day in and day out with .NET though not fully in the capacity of web development... enterprise apps..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1