40th Anniversary of the Internet

Let's Celebrate. What is to be expected in the next 40 years?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

21 Replies - 2394 Views - Last Post: 02 September 2009 - 12:28 PM

• if(coden4fun.NotTired){ ContinueToCode(); }
  • member icon

• View blog

40th Anniversary of the Internet

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:22 PM

Here is the article I read while surfing the blogs.

40 years later The Internet

I knew this from studying the history of computers, networks but it's still unbelievable how far we have gone in 40 years!

I would like to know from a well diversed, well intelligent, programming, net surfing, nerds how they see the internet take shape in the next 40 years.

I see home servers, community servers will become a big hit. Each household will have there own server that is secure to share anything amonst the computers that the server can reach. While there will also be possibly web applications and servers in every restraunt, shopping mall, mart and store to digitally buy any item, and have it shipped to your door. Or simply reserve a spot @ the latest restraunt if it's a must.

I also of course as it's unfolding now seeing most everything done online through could computing as google has managed to make this as I have seen in some recent articles a goal to have a universal OS all online. Where you simply have nothing but a browser on your computer and all files and applications are online.

I would also predict if this fully takes place then all software or the majority of the cloud computer software will be free as the revenue would come from advertisement, and more and more web platforms like "facebook" will be built and controlled by the media setting high standards making it more difficutlt to make a simple DotCom company.

Well those are some of my theories what are some of yours?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: 40th Anniversary of the Internet

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: 40th Anniversary of the Internet

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:23 PM

:bananaman: *streaks and throws confetti*

((never really thought about it..... hmmmm))

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 01 September 2009 - 12:24 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• straight vegetarian kid

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:25 PM

hey! i'm streaking through the lounge today neo...

bleh....

:streaks into this section of the lounge wearing cowboy boots and a neck chain, throws confetti, does a little dance, then continues streaking through the rest of the lounge: i need my hat back though... :looks for danny:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:26 PM

Moving to Corner Cube for serious discussion. Since you put this much time in to the post, figured you should at least get some descent replies instead of the usual crap here in the lounge ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:29 PM

NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!! My spamfest is ruined!!! *cries*

I would think that viruses would get more vicious. The security would be fine, but the government doesn't put enough effort into cracking down on cyber crime, imho, or gabehabe would've already been arrested. ;D

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 01 September 2009 - 12:29 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• if(coden4fun.NotTired){ ContinueToCode(); }
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:33 PM

Thanks Skyhawk. I still get confused on where to post things unless it's a tutorial to write, or a snippet to post, or a real good technical question.

@Neotifa thanks for the confetti.

@Computerfox put some clothes on dude.

but yes please let's make this a serious topic.

We're all programmers, and as I see more and more use of web applications and less and less desktop applications we're the future architects, and developers of what people will see on the net.

Side question - Do you think twitter is going to last long, or is it just the flavor of the year social site?

This post has been edited by coden4fun: 01 September 2009 - 12:36 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:34 PM

View PostNeoTifa, on 1 Sep, 2009 - 12:29 PM, said:

I would think that viruses would get more vicious. The security would be fine, but the government doesn't put enough effort into cracking down on cyber crime, imho, or gabehabe would've already been arrested. ;D

Moving to Corner Cube for serious discussion.

@coden

I think we'll get to the point where worrying about having an internet signal is moot. The U.S. will (hopefully) catch up in broadband penetration as we are currently getting whipped by South Korea, India, etc... In addition to more widespread connectivity, I think the cloud will become an reality (in a concrete manner, which is ironic given the nature of the cloud) --in the sense that any internet enabled device could immediately "jump" onto the web (or whatever has replaced the web by that point).

We (in 2009) are already in an information driven, information saturated world. The money in the future is going to be protecting information and discerning useful/important information through the piles and piles of crap that are thrown across the web everyday.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:39 PM

View Postcoden4fun, on 1 Sep, 2009 - 11:33 AM, said:

Thanks Skyhawk. I still get confused on where to post things unless it's a tutorial to write, or a snippet to post, or a real good technical question.

@Neotifa thanks for the confetti.

@Computerfox put some clothes on dude.

but yes please let's make this a serious topic.

We're all programmers, and as I see more and more use of web applications and less and less desktop applications we're the future architects, and developers of what people will see on the net.

Side question - Do you think twitter is going to last long, or is it just the flavor of the year social site?

personally i use twitter and i think it's a great way to get through the day when it's going slowly. i think it's going to be here for a little bit because it's kind of like texting, but you can have updates from your favorite celebrities or favorite sites or whatever you wish, but like most things, something better comes out and takes over. but i think twitter is becoming in a way a new type of communication and since it's something like texting, i think that's why it's quite popular.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Everybody's crazy but me!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:08 PM

I think Twitter will still be used, but I think facebook will be more popular and more widely used (once they get the bugs worked out). Unless Twitter changes and adds more applications, to keep up with facebook. Or maybe it already has them, but I just don't know about it?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:37 PM

View PostOliveOyl3471, on 1 Sep, 2009 - 12:08 PM, said:

I think Twitter will still be used, but I think facebook will be more popular and more widely used (once they get the bugs worked out). Unless Twitter changes and adds more applications, to keep up with facebook. Or maybe it already has them, but I just don't know about it?

at first facebook was a great networking tool, but since they're adding all these changes and "trying" to make it "better" it's just making it worse. i guess they're trying to stay ahead of myspace, but now facebook seems like it's becoming more schizophrenic instead of a better way to stay connected with your friends.

the idea for twitter is a little bit more different than facebook. the idea is just to keep connected, but keep connected by having a handy service to update your statuses. and i don't think you would need more than a client that let's you post new statuses and pictures. what i don't like is that it's only limited to 140 characters and for those of us who think it's lame to shorten texts (ie "i luv u" or 4 the record") it's difficult to update when you need more than one post to do so.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:42 PM

My prediction : In the recent years we've seen the internet move from something the net nerds do, to everyone & anyone who wants to be 'in' has the latest 2.0 on their telecommuting devices. I believe that this will continue until everyone has a walking, updating, internet connection. With this updating convenience local & national Governments as well as large to small corporations will have easier access to our personal data, as we continue to step out of our own self decided security in trade for online entertainment. I also think that in the near future we will become so dependent upon the internet & mass communications that America is going to continue to hand over more freedoms to the Government for said securities & protections, because we're being told it's what's best for us.

Gloin, get a cot ready, I'm putting on my tin-foil hat & moving into your basement. k?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:45 PM

can i come? i promise to sit on the lazy boy in the nude :wub: well, i'll wear foil on my head and feet, how's that?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:05 PM

View Postcomputerfox, on 1 Sep, 2009 - 02:37 PM, said:

at first facebook was a great networking tool, but since they're adding all these changes and "trying" to make it "better" it's just making it worse. i guess they're trying to stay ahead of myspace

Shouldn't be too hard staying ahead of the slowest race horse.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 01 September 2009 - 02:40 PM

I think twitter is going to be phased out in another year or two. Someones going to come out with a newer and better networking site, that's the very nature of the internet.

no2pencil is also right about giving up securities. It won't be long until you get a true universal ID that can be used to purchase anything online, for networking... All you're spending habits will be tracked and you're GPS location will be up on the web for everyone to see.

Edit: typo, twitter is going to last more than a day :P

This post has been edited by syfran: 01 September 2009 - 02:41 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 September 2009 - 04:44 AM

View PostLocke, on 1 Sep, 2009 - 01:05 PM, said:

View Postcomputerfox, on 1 Sep, 2009 - 02:37 PM, said:

at first facebook was a great networking tool, but since they're adding all these changes and "trying" to make it "better" it's just making it worse. i guess they're trying to stay ahead of myspace

Shouldn't be too hard staying ahead of the slowest race horse.

That then follows the logic of "If I copy the better horse, maybe I'll get better too".

And fails.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +