2 Replies - 821 Views - Last Post: 04 September 2009 - 07:59 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Starting out in IT

Posted 03 September 2009 - 12:06 AM

Based in the UK. I want to start a new career in IT, at the age of 39! I used to code when i was a teenager, in Basic and machine code. Since then i embarked on a career as an artist, which is fantastic but doesnt pay the bills! Anyway, i've always stuck at it with all things IT, and decided i need a new interest and career. Due to my 'advanced' age, i'm curious to know what people think might be the best route for me. Over the last year i've dipped my toes into visual basic, .Net, Real Basic, Cocoa, and also some web design languages ue html, php, javascript, css etc, all to start to give me a grounding in software development, which is what i would like to do. Problem is the market is very competitive, and i'm thinking about doing an IT Masters degree, as i already hold a degree (though in 3d Design). My question is this, should i do a degree and get some accredited qualifications, or continue to go down the self-taught, take the odd accredited course and build up this way? I'm siding with the Ma degree at the mo, as it gives me a good general overview in IT, can help me make my mind up as to which field within IT would interest me, and gives me a better chance due its higher qualification. I'm very serious about starting this new career, but i have reservations due to my age and also which 'course' to follow? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Starting out in IT

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Starting out in IT

Posted 03 September 2009 - 03:37 AM

If i was in your shoes then seeing as you were an artist i would be looking down the path of taking web develpoment courses or just self teaching as you will be able to do both the web development side of things and also the web design as you were previously an artist
:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Starting out in IT

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:59 PM

^ What he said. Go for a web based language, since you can utilise your design skills for web development.

Of course, you'd need (X)HTML/CSS for putting your designs into actual web layouts, but this stuff is easy. Then, when it comes to dynamic content:
Personally, I prefer PHP to ASP, so I'd recommend PHP. Both are as good as each other, I just think PHP is much easier to pick up, and much easier to utilise.

You could be making websites in no time! Good luck :)

This post has been edited by gabehabe: 04 September 2009 - 08:01 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1