Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Whats your Favorite Forum Script

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Whats your Favorite Forum Script

Posted 04 September 2009 - 07:19 AM

Given that I believe you want professional responses to this thread I took the liberty of moving it to the cube.

I really like what IPB has been doing with their forum technology through the last couple of updates, they are adding a lot of more interesting functionality into it (some jQuery for instance) and making it far more asthetically pleasing than it previously was. As such I would definately suggest you check them out, even if you don't wind up going with them (as I can understand the cost being a little much).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Php Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2009 - 10:35 AM

View PostBetaWar, on 4 Sep, 2009 - 06:19 AM, said:

Given that I believe you want professional responses to this thread I took the liberty of moving it to the cube.

I really like what IPB has been doing with their forum technology through the last couple of updates, they are adding a lot of more interesting functionality into it (some jQuery for instance) and making it far more asthetically pleasing than it previously was. As such I would definately suggest you check them out, even if you don't wind up going with them (as I can understand the cost being a little much).

i would rather something less good i think that's for pros

i think i need to pick ether phpbb or pun bb
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pirate King
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2009 - 11:33 AM

As an avid proponent of flat files I suggest you take a look at the following scripts:As to which is my favorite, well obviously GrimBB. :P Which is busted beyond repair right now LOL. Oh well at some point I will revamp it.

This post has been edited by grimpirate: 04 September 2009 - 11:35 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2009 - 12:28 PM

vBulletin forums are known for being able to support massive amounts of users. I find that they have a fantastic customer support system and vBulletin itself is a very nice platform. I'd recommend that over phpbb, however vBulletin licenses are not free. My other choices would be IPB or phpbb
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• holy shitin shishkebobs
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 September 2009 - 01:30 PM

I use SMF.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:05 AM

I would recommend SMF.

I have used PHPBB and wasn't impressed, its got a lot cool functions but I found the process of installing mods tiring as you have to edit the files, etc. With SMF they are updated automatically in the admin panel

I have never used IPB because I never got round to customising its interface, the communities I had needed something a bit more catchy...IPB themes are not that flexible and you have to fork out a bit of money to get a good unique design.

If you are willing to use money, go for Vbulletin. In my opinion its the best out there. Its code is more compact, well written plus its got probably the biggest following and lots of mods. Its an amazing system.

MYBB is not that bad either. Its in the league of SMF in my opinion but lacks the backing of a big and mature community. they do not have a lot of mods but its very flexible in theme design.

Mybb : www.mybboard.net
SMF : www.simplemachines.org
VBulletin : www.vbulletin.com

All the best
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Java Enthusiast
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2009 - 02:30 PM

View PostBetaWar, on 4 Sep, 2009 - 06:19 AM, said:

Isn't this board run by IPB? Because I right clicked on someone's (don't remember, who but I have done it with multiple people on this board.) avatar and Norton said that the site was not safe and ti looked like the avatars have been uploaded to IPB's site so I don't think it was the avatar I think it was invsionfree or IPB
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2009 - 03:01 PM

I've been looking for a free forum that has syntax highlighting. I ended up using MyBB and writing my own plugin for it. I like it because it has pretty much all the features you need and it's easy to write mods for it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Inspiring StoryTeller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:36 PM

View PostBetaWar, on 4 Sep, 2009 - 01:19 PM, said:

Yes i love ipb I think that it is a very good up and comming system. I have a license. www.fusionet24.com/main/forum/ (ignore the url i was going to buy vb but changed my mind)

View PostBenignDesign, on 4 Sep, 2009 - 07:30 PM, said:

I use SMF.

The problem it is smiple and its good for people that can't afford to pay or develop for there board and have very little knowledge but i just can't stand the system.

Plus B9 your simple :P

We need you on irc it's dead except for me and fifth ;)

This post has been edited by sbell1099: 06 September 2009 - 01:25 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2009 - 01:41 AM

i would say for a free one is myBB

but i really like vBUlliten even tho its not free sadly i think it should open source
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2009 - 06:57 AM

In my opinion IPB is extremely easy to configure so it is better for new people with boards. At least without any experience. At least that is what I've seen in my experience with IPB. So it would be a better choice or the newer administrators in the world of boards.
Demo : free forums
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1