• +

17 Replies - 1150 Views - Last Post: 06 September 2009 - 03:21 AM

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Do you think grades matter?

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:23 PM

Hey people,

so most of us here on DIC are students i guess. Do you think grades matter that much to get you a good job?, I personally get really good grades on subjects that interest me but there are other subjects that i don't really care about so i don't really give a damn about the grade. I believe there are other factors involved that could help with getting a good job and grades is one of them for sure but its not the most important. what do you think?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Do you think grades matter?

#2 Guest_Neumann*

Re: Do you think grades matter?

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:35 PM

I think that grades matter when you're getting your first job. But after that, the experience is what the companies really look at. With that said, grades are still an important factor for me. Getting good grades means at least two things - knowing the material well, and being able to accomplish what is being asked of you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2009 - 08:52 PM

i get between A+ and B+ in subjects that I like and actually spend effort to be good at them (usually the CS related stuff) but some subjects like signals&systems or electric circuits, i don't really care, a C would be satisfying to me. i dunno some subjects just wont have impact on my career.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:31 PM

I personally get really good grades on subjects that interest me but there are other subjects that i don't really care about so i don't really give a damn about the grade.

....which would translate to you not giving a damn about projects that don't interest you?

I think "that don't interest me" is a lame excuse to get a bad grade.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:34 PM

Yea, that is a pretty lame attempt to weasel out of personal responsibility for your actions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:36 PM

i sort of agree, but there are some subjects that i really dont like :S
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:40 PM

My brother pulls that same argument. Until you graduate, being a student is your "full time job", no reason to not be good at it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2009 - 09:46 PM

you sound like my parents, KYA you suck :P

My brother pulls that same argument.

your brother must be awesome

This post has been edited by mostyfriedman: 05 September 2009 - 09:49 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:02 PM

I think the grades have become less important than they use to be. Probably because schools have gotten a little more liberal with their classes like giving a student a D because they don't want to give the kid an F and possibly cause some kind of mental complex that causes him to shoot up the school. Never mind the part where the kid never showed up for class or anything.

Now on the flip side they do make a huge difference if he have plans for a great college. Transcripts are always needed to top universities who only accept a limited number of applicants. MIT isn't going to take someone with straight Cs no matter how much "community service" the person did with the elderly people at the old folks home in IDontknowwhere, Ohio.

So you should strive to learn everything you can and do the best in all subjects if you want the best of futures. More work you do in high school the better chance you have to do what you love to do in college.

:)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:06 PM

View PostKYA, on 5 Sep, 2009 - 08:40 PM, said:

My brother pulls that same argument. Until you graduate, being a student is your "full time job", no reason to not be good at it.

I would be an amazing student if I got paid for it. :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:12 PM

I'm already in college and I do agree that i need to push myself to work harder on subjects that i don't like, I just lack motivation and keep telling myself what the hell am I gonna use electric circuits for, I'm a Computer Engineering student so I just need to be good at the comp stuff. I did notice though that even if I'm not gonna need a certain subject later on but understanding it kinda broadens my mind and improves my skills in different areas. Anyway i still got 3 more years to go and I'm sure I'll do a killer job even with the subjects that I don't give a crap about, after all I'm a genius :P jk jk, i wish :(. KYA I'm gonna out nerd ya :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 Guest_Neumann*

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:16 PM

View Postmostyfriedman, on 5 Sep, 2009 - 09:12 PM, said:

what the hell am I gonna use electric circuits for, I'm a Computer Engineering student

Actually, that's what computer engineers do - they deal with computers on the hardware-level. That means working with circuits. Or does the term "computer engineer" refer to something else in your country?
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2009 - 10:33 PM

well in my country the term computer engineer is used for either a CS or a computer engineering major (lame yea)

At my Uni the system is as follows, the first 2 years computer engineering and communication/electronics/networks majors study common stuff like calculus, linear algebra, physics, chemistry(yea that's weird), digital logic, electric circuits, computer programming, statistics and probability, Signals and Systems, computer organization and some other stuff..
In the 3rd year, students get more specialized so computer science and engineering students start taking discrete math, theory of computation, databases, software eng, concepts of programming languages, communication networks, analysis and design of algorithms, computer architecture, digital system design, embedded systems, artificial intelligence, compilers, etc the list goes on and on.

we study subjects that are both from computer engineering and computer science majors as you can see on the list
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• LIKE A BOSS
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:27 PM

Saying it doesn't interest you is a piss-poor excuse. What are you going to tell your potential employer?

"Yeah, if you don't give me jobs that don't interest me, I'll either not do them or I'll suck at them."
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:31 PM

Say you were too busy saving lost puppies ( make sure you get some pictures of really cute puppies sitting in a ditch ) and caring for the person across the street who was dying ( make sure you emphasize that you did not know the person before ).

Oh, also don't forget to mention helping out homeless people, get creative and say you were helping a homeless girl with girlscouts and selling cookies :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +