Page 1 of 1

Ulead GIF Animator 5: How to make a crawling lizard Rate Topic: -----

• Everybody's crazy but me!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 September 2009 - 10:59 PM

Find your picture, and open with UGA.

Add several new frames. I used 30 frames total this time, plus one for the delay at the end.

Posted Image

To copy and paste your image from frame 1 into frame 2, highlight your object, at the right.

Posted Image

Go to edit, copy. Go to frame 2. Click edit, paste.

You should now have two frames of the same image. Leave frame 1 alone. Go to frame 2. Highlight your object.

Click Transform tool, method resize.

Posted Image

Your image should have a black line around it, with black squares at each corner and at the midpoint of each side.

Posted Image

Look to the right, where your object is highlighted. Note the object’s width and height. If your lizard will crawl up or down the page, click a square on the left or right side. If you click a square at the left, drag it toward the right, and if you use a square at the right, drag it toward the left until the number next to the W (for width) is the same as it was before you started dragging. If, like mine, he will crawl right or left, click a square on the top or bottom. If you click a square on the top, drag it toward the bottom and if you use a square on the bottom, drag it toward the top until the number next to the H (for height) is the same as it was before you started dragging. You’ll have to release the mouse button in order to see the number change. If it is not right, just drag the square a little more, until you get the right number. My lizard’s height is 48, so I will click and drag until it is 48 again. Your image might disappear off the page. That is okay, it is supposed to do that.

To be able to see your image again, click the pick tool.

Posted Image

Under alignment, center horizontally or vertically, whichever is necessary. Or both, it doesn’t matter.

Posted Image

Now we have our two images, which are all we need to make the lizard crawl. Go back to frame 1. Highlight, copy and paste your object into frame 3, and into every other odd numbered frame. Go to frame 2. Highlight, copy and paste the object into each of the even numbered frames.

Next, position him in each frame. Go to frame 1. Position the lizard so that its nose is starting to peek out from the edge of the canvas. The rest of him will be hidden. Right click your object in the frame, click object properties, position and size.

Posted Image

If he will be crawling left or right, use left and leave top alone. If he will be crawling up or down, use top and leave left alone. My lizard will crawl from right to left, so I will change the number for left until the lizard is in the proper position. Go to frame 2 and repeat. Remember the number from the first frame. Add or subtract (depending on the direction he is crawling) from the number you had for top or left in the first frame. The amount to add or subtract will depend on the overall size of your picture, and how fast you want him to move. Mine ended up at left, 90 in the first frame. I will move him by 20 each time. Since he is going from right to left, I need to subtract each time. 90 – 20 = 70, so frame 2’s object will be at position left, 70. Go to frame 3 and add or subtract the same number again. Mine will be left, 50 this time. Repeat for each frame, until all you see is the tip of the lizard’s tail. This will be your last frame. You may need to add or delete frames. If you need to add frames, remember to copy/paste the lizard that is in frame 1 into the odd frames and the lizard that is in frame 2 into the even ones.

Adjust the timing. Highlight the frames at the bottom. Highlight the first frame, hold down the shift key and highlight the last frame. Right click on one of the frames and click frame properties. Choose delay, 25 and pick removal method, smart. If you don't choose smart, you may end up with unwanted duplicate/shadow images in your finished animation.

Posted Image

Preview.

Posted Image

If it is too fast, change the delay to a higher number, and if it is too slow, change the delay to a lower number. Preview and change it until it is the right speed.

Since my lizard is on a white background and the rest of the animation is transparent, it will not look right unless I add a white background to the rest of the picture as well. You can skip this part if your animation is on a transparent background and you do not want to add one.

To add a background, go to frame 1. Right click anywhere on the canvas. Click new blank object.

Posted Image

Choose the fill tool. Pick white (or whatever color your background will be). Click on the canvas to color the background.

Posted Image

Use the pick tool. Under order, click send to back.

Posted Image

Go to each frame and highlight the background so it will show up in each frame.

If you like, add a new frame after your last frame and add your background to it. Adjust the delay for this frame only, for however long you want it to wait before starting the animation again. Make sure the other frames are unhighlighted. Right click on the frame you want to change and choose frame properties. I chose delay 200, removal method smart.

Click file, save as GIF.

Posted Image

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Page 1 of 1