This doesn't fit into any category...But...

What programming language is best for N00Bs?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

29 Replies - 5574 Views - Last Post: 19 September 2011 - 09:47 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

This doesn't fit into any category...But...

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:27 PM

This post doesn't really fit into any other forum, so I posted it here. But here's the question...

What is the best programming language to start out with for a beginner?

I am new to programming in general but I have been building WebSites (Then throwing them out so to speak), for about 3 years now. I just never thought I would need to learn it, but over time I have realized why I trash my WebSite's... I don't have a purpose to make one. I Have made about 6 dozen websites, (That means the whole nine yards with articles and everything), but I had no purpose in mind. Now I am thinking about building my own text editor so I have a purpose to put my site up. I mean when i got into High School last year and took Web Development, I was correcting the teacher for mistakes she was making, but now I feel it is going to be the other way around...

WoW, Just did a whole life story didn't I...

Well any way, I would appreciate a couple peoples input on my main question...

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: This doesn't fit into any category...But...

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: This doesn't fit into any category...But...

Posted 08 September 2009 - 03:52 PM

This seems like a topic for the Corner Cubicle.

I would recommend an object-oriented language like Java or C# to start with.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• What did you call me?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2009 - 04:42 PM

This same question has been posted about a million times on this site.

I started with C++ but Java, C#, python, and even PHP could be a nice start. In the end it really depends on what you wanna do and what you want to make.

Game: Python (PyGame), Java, C# with XNA, DarkBasic GDK for C++, Flash, Actionscript

GUI Apps: Java, C#, Python(PythonCard), VB.NET(very easy but not always the best)

Command line stuffs: C++, Java, Python, C#

It really doesn't matter what language you go with since pretty much any of them can do anything you want but Java and C# are very versatile and easy to learn--for the most part
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:02 PM

Thanks guys for the replys. Appreciate it. But I think I will Start with C# just because I have already downloaded M.S's Visual C#.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2009 - 06:40 PM

View Postccfre, on 8 Sep, 2009 - 05:02 PM, said:

Thanks guys for the replys. Appreciate it. But I think I will Start with C# just because I have already downloaded M.S's Visual C#.

[sarcasm] Hey, after you learn C# you'll be able to code in java! [/sarcasm]

(PS: Only being sarcastic to the language, not you :P )
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Guest_Neumann*

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:11 PM

My first language was BASIC. I enjoyed it a lot and consider it a great first language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:21 PM

View PostNeumann, on 8 Sep, 2009 - 06:11 PM, said:

My first language was BASIC. I enjoyed it a lot and consider it a great first language.

Really? It's procedural, has crappy syntax, and isn't very common anymore. I would say that's a horrible first language at this point in time.

I would strongly recommend Java or C# as a first language. I learn Java and i haven't had any problems looking through other languages
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Guest_Neumann*

Posted 08 September 2009 - 07:56 PM

View PostxCraftyx, on 8 Sep, 2009 - 06:21 PM, said:

It's procedural

Elaborate as to why the procedural paradigm is a bad choice for a first language.

has crappy syntax

It has a clear, and self-explanatory syntax that can be easily understood by the newcomers. See, I can insert meaningless personal opinions too.

and isn't very common anymore.

Name a single reason why the popularity of the language should be a factor here.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:00 PM

View PostxCraftyx, on 8 Sep, 2009 - 08:21 PM, said:

View PostNeumann, on 8 Sep, 2009 - 06:11 PM, said:

Really? It's procedural, has crappy syntax, and isn't very common anymore. I would say that's a horrible first language at this point in time.

Basic became Visual Basic. The description still fits. But if grandma wants to learn how to program, & has no desire (or more importantly has no need) to learn more than Visual Basic, then grandma should learn Visual Basic.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:03 PM

i started with Java, and i actually think its a pretty good first language..I also think that python would be another good language to start with.. python is pretty powerful and has an extremely easy syntax to learn
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:19 PM

Sorry, let me clarify a bit.

View PostNeumann, on 8 Sep, 2009 - 06:56 PM, said:

Elaborate as to why the procedural paradigm is a bad choice for a first language.

Most schools are starting by teaching OOP languages and to my understanding, OOP is currently the most used structure for application programming. Obviously there are exceptions but I also believe that new programmers should start by learning OOP and then learn a procedural language if they wish.

It has a clear, and self-explanatory syntax that can be easily understood by the newcomers. See, I can insert meaningless personal opinions too.

I'll admit that was ah...opinionated :rolleyes:

Name a single reason why the popularity of the language should be a factor here

Why would you want to learn a language that is outdated and not often found in newer programs as your first language? Down the line, sure. Knock yourself out. I'm assuming you learned BASIC when it was the high-level alternative to C since you say it was your first language. If it was, support was more widely available back then and OOP was not as mainstream as it is now. I think it makes more sense to learn one of the more mainstream high-level languages, such as Java or C#, as your first because you will probably find support more easily and you will hopefully be able to apply it successfully in your professional life if you choose to pursue an IT field, or even just as a hobby.

Just sharing my thoughts with him, didn't mean to offend you.

Edit: If you meant Visual Basic and not just BASIC, I'll take that back and say consider it as well. I'm personally not a fan of it but tons of people are and it is a very widely used language.

This post has been edited by xCraftyx: 08 September 2009 - 08:21 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:51 PM

There's a widely held belief that one should learn how to be a straight C programmer before doing OOP with C++. that is certainly up for debate, but good ol' procedural programming has its place among side fancy OOP.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• What did you call me?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:08 AM

@xCraftyx && Neumann

Tons of kids learn to program Ti BASIC which is just a calculator form of BASIC with many syntactical tweaks. It is even so easy that someone that has never touched a line of code before can write a hello world with no one telling the how to.

on this basis I would say that Ti BASIC could be an alright language to start off on, procedural or not it can teach what it means to write a program as well as some of the basics of programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2009 - 12:43 AM

Programming on a TI calculator is a damn nightmare, I would never put someone through that.

I also learned to program with a form of BASIC, I don't believe it was that bad. Its easy and teaches you programming, I'm certainly not handicapped from it. There are also a lot of off cases that use BASIC such as calculators and programmable robots, its not completely outdated.

This post has been edited by syfran: 09 September 2009 - 12:45 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 September 2009 - 04:42 AM

Check out the syntax for a bunch of languages and go with whichever's syntax makes the most sense to you :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +