How did you get into coding and why do you do it.

..and what language.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

32 Replies - 9683 Views - Last Post: 04 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

• Sarcasm Extraordinaire!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How did you get into coding and why do you do it.

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:24 PM

View PostKYA, on 11 Sep, 2009 - 10:55 AM, said:

Even diabolical tyrants should have proper grammar. ;)

True, but it's not a requirement. :)

Anyway. I got into coding by making programs on my TI-83+ graphing calculator. I made a few programs, and thought, "Hey, this is kinda fun, I'll see if there are any programming classes offered at my high school". There were 3. I took them all senior year. 2 Java classes and a VB6 class. Changed my life. If I wouldn't have taken those classes, I never would have found DIC, or declared my major as Computer Science. I'd probably be a music major of some sort.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#17 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Head MFIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:36 PM

View PostSexySquirrel, on 10 Sep, 2009 - 04:00 AM, said:

1.) How did you get into coding and why do you do it? :D

It was so long ago, I don't remember why. I would have to say that maybe I wanted to make games.

2.) Why do you like it? (And if you don't...explain why because I don't see why anyone would do something that they don't enjoy doing):P

I like the idea of being in control of the computer, that & the process of creation & improvement to the functionality. I like watching the program evolve.

3.) What was your first language and why. :)

In high school I did some QBasic, but my 1st language from my own desire to learn was C/C++
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2009 - 04:43 PM

At first, I got into programming because I loved to type. Type everything in word, type type type, get good at typing, type type type.

I was also into spy stuff when I was a kid and always wanted to make my own 'gadjets', which of course, never succeeded. I considered computers to be very important in espionage for some reason.

Eventually when I turned 14 I started to learn HTML and since then I loved to "control" what I and other people see in their computers. Now I do it as a hobby because I love technology running the way I want it, for the most part.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Everybody's crazy but me!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2009 - 08:58 PM

I wanted to do computer animation but my college did not offer it. So I picked the next best thing, computer programming, thinking I would hate it! Now I'm addicted to it, and to this site.

2.) Why do you like it? (And if you don't...explain why because I don't see why anyone would do something that they don't enjoy doing):P

I dunno. I just do.

QBasic because that is the language my instructor chose. //VB.NET was my second one, the one where I realized, hey...I like this!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:15 PM

My brother had brought home a TSR-80 computer one summer and I started fiddling around with it. I was immediately hooked and I haven't looked back since.

There are always interesting new problems to try and solve. I like exercising my mind.

A flavor of BASIC, on the TSR-80, because it used it as it's OS.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• What did you call me?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:12 AM

1) My dad was an EE and got a book on BASIC in a yard sale. He never got around to reading it so when I finally found it it was covered in dust. It was a very old book(70's/80's) so it wasn't the most up to date stuff. I liked it and learned a bit of the basics from the book. After not programming for quite a long time, except for Ti BASIC and such nonsense, I took a C++ class fell in love with programming and the way it felt to understand and use complex things.

2) I love to learn and I love computers so it is only natural that I program. I like to solve all of the problems that come up in programming.

3) I consider C++ my first language since it is the first one that I really fell in love with and learned in depth.

This post has been edited by carltech: 14 September 2009 - 01:13 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• you can't fix stupid.

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2009 - 12:00 PM

My dad, because it's badass and java.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• if(coden4fun.NotTired){ ContinueToCode(); }
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:30 PM

My grandfather was an EE and gave me huge VB books back when they made Part I and Part II of the VB bible in separate prints.

Now I do it for a living, and I make a pretty damn good living.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2011 - 02:24 PM

1) I started with hacking and, then i tried to create my own keylogger and started coding and i just found out that i liked it, so i kept on coding.

2) Well, like hacking it gives me a lot of different challenges that i have to overcome, but unlike hacking programming make me feel i do something productiv, somthing that makes sense and i create things, useful things, not breaking them.

3) The first language was objective-c/c because i wanted to make iphone apps and applications for my mac and i could combine it with c wich i also were learning at that time(because c was ten times easyer:D).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Professional Lurker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2011 - 03:50 PM

1. I had to help my wife with one of her college courses that required her to build a small website. (html, javascript and css) It was very simple but enough to get me hooked

2. I like solving problems and challenges

3. First introduction was through dabbling with javascript on my own. First class on programming was in C++.

This post has been edited by Nakor: 27 May 2011 - 03:51 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Villiage Idiom
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:25 PM

1. I got into coding in my first year of college because a bunch of friends were taking a course in it and after showing an interest another friend showed me how to use msvs and write c++

2. Because its fun, intuitive, and feels amazing. You can literally create something out of nothing.

3. C++ as its what my friend showed me, though nowi do most work in python and java
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 May 2011 - 02:44 AM

1) I started searching the Internet for programming tutorials during my year at continuation school (a 1-year boarding school-ish thing that we have in Denmark), because I'd learned some html and css and thought I'd like to take it a step further. Soon, programming was what I did when I should have been doing homework (in my defense, I did program my way out of a lot of the more repetitive math problems).

2) The satisfaction of seeing your program work. It's like a drug. Also, I like to think a lot about things, and I like to work with computers, so... It works out pretty well.

3) Python. I actually don't remember how I ended up choosing that, but I guess it seemed like a good starting point - I remember looking at some C++ and Java tutorial and thinking that it looked pretty scary with all the brackets and weird keywords.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "ADDICTED"[2:5]
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:33 PM

1.) How did you get into coding and why do you do it?

I got my absolute first start with programming by creating booters for AOL in visual basic. This was mainly copy-paste coding and I didn't really know much of what I was doing.

I got into programming seriously a few years later when I got a TI-86 calculator. I started out with their BASIC language and then eventually moved on to the Z80 ASM.

Because of my interest in TI-86, I took pascal in high school. After that, I took C++ which was taught in respect to C more than C++ (late introduction to classes and such).

I got a job later working tech support. The company used C# so I learned that.

2.) Why do you like it? (And if you don't...explain why because I don't see why anyone would do something that they don't enjoy doing)

I must say that if I never discovered programming, the computer would have become very boring to me by now. Programming allows me to create my ideas. I love it.

3.) What was your first language and why.

My first real language that I completely grasped and worked really hard at getting good at was C. I eventually became better at C# but C was my start.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:45 PM

1.) How did you get into coding and why do you do it?

I used to make HTML pages when I was a kid with stuff like marquee tags that at the time I thought were awesome. I've worked my way up ever since.

2.) Why do you like it?

I love opening up an app and being able to go "See that? Yeah I told it to do that." I've yet to finish any of the many game projects I've started but when I do it will be a great day.

3.) What was your first language and why.

I started with PHP. I fell into ownership of an old Halo fan forum years ago and had to learn fast to keep it afloat. Oh 16 year old internet drama.

I've only gotten into languages like Python, Java, and C++ within the past year or two, and I'm very inexperienced in all of them.

This post has been edited by Ntwiles: 29 May 2011 - 01:46 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 May 2011 - 01:47 PM

I have three simple questions for everyone involved with this forum.

1.) Well i did´nt know what education to go for and i talked with a friend who had started a cs eduction and i always wanted to learn to program so i tagged along.

2.) I like it because i get to control the computer =P

3.) I´m an C# fanboy, i can´t explain why...

This post has been edited by Theomi: 29 May 2011 - 01:47 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (3 Pages)
  • +