Is accounting a good major?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

25 Replies - 7325 Views - Last Post: 15 August 2011 - 10:46 PM

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Is accounting a good major?

Posted 11 September 2009 - 10:36 AM

Hi, I am currently in college finishing up 2nd year. I want to know if a major in accounting is valuable? I have a gpa of 3.0 and currently majoring in accounting.

I personally hate accounting but my dad forced me to take it. I wanted to get into computer science but was told that computer science it a flooded job market.

I plan to become a cpa and a cma. I personally don't know how valuable are they?

I notice doctors or computer it people are like very valuable. Like if your sick you have to go to the doctors and they can really name their price. Same with computer IT or anyone in the computer area they can name their price because if computers are broken or down it costs companies and many other people. Computers play a huge role in our lives. So when it goes down college students would need it fix right away or businesses would need it fixed right away.

Now when I look at accountants. I personally don't see how they will be needed. I know big corps needs to manage costs but they can easily just have a software program to count it for them.

I mean their is peach tree and many other software out their that can do the accounting for you. However their is still possible errors that can occure.

So I would like to know if accountants are really important?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is accounting a good major?

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Is accounting a good major?

Posted 11 September 2009 - 11:54 AM

Every time a new "Hot Jobs" list comes out, Accountants seem to always be in the top 5. It seems to be a good choice for those who want a job. I had to take accounting for my CIS major, and hated every minute of it. And I love math.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Epic Awesomeness
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:12 AM

Yeah i totally hated Accounting in my MIS degree...However Finance was a lot of fun.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 September 2009 - 04:57 PM

View Posthockey97, on 11 Sep, 2009 - 11:36 AM, said:

So I would like to know if accountants are really important?

You're probably asking in the wrong place. Still, give the devil his due... Every business, from the corner garage to the Corporate Overlords in the glass towers, fundamentally rely on accounting.

Any business that uses computers uses some of their network power to service the accountants. The little guy that uses something like Quickbooks or Peachtree will ultimately turn over the results to some kind of accountant for a signoff. Larger companies have a full time accounting departments that run things like payroll, purchase orders, and simply paying the bills.

New programmers often envision writing some killer app, new accountants seem to see CPA as the goal. The reality is that programmers often solve business problems that are unique to the company's situation. An accountant in a company will often do the same thing, in a far more structured way. Such accounting is essentially debugging. Some idiot made an invalid entry and it has to be tracked down and "adjusted".

Yes, accountants are important. I don't think accounting is as amusing as programming, but that's me. ;) I know a lot of IT people who used to be strictly accountants. I've done far more accounting work than I ever planned on.

Of course, in a broader sense, everyone's important. Really, don't sweat it.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 September 2009 - 05:33 PM

I personally hate accounting but my dad forced me to take it.

That's going to be a problem down the road. The future job market shouldn't be a deciding factor in your major/field.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:36 PM

The future job market shouldn't be a deciding factor in your major/field.

Actually, I think it should. For instance, aside from programming I also enjoy graphic design. Personally, I think I'd be without a job.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:57 PM

To each their own I suppose. Life's too short to spend it doing stuff you don't enjoy.
Was This Post Helpful? 2
  • +
  • -

• Epic Awesomeness
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2009 - 03:43 AM

amen brother!@ :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:56 PM

I know a guy in a chemistry class I'm in who got a degree and was working an accounting job, but it just wasn't his thing, ergo why he is back in school.

I'm not the most knowledgeable, but honestly I'd assume you should at least have some interest in the field you're looking at as a whole. Jobs become necessary, but without relevance to something you enjoy you'll just be that much more removed from something you might enjoy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:12 PM

View PostKYA, on 13 Sep, 2009 - 06:57 PM, said:

To each their own I suppose. Life's too short to spend it doing stuff you don't enjoy.

But then you can't enjoy life without the moolah.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:19 AM

Um, recently Forbes came out with the top 5 paying bachelor degrees and Computer Science was second overall. Mind you, 3rd, 4th and 5th places belonged to Economics, Finance and Marketing. KYA is right, the fact that you hate accounting and are only taking it because your father told you to is a very bad decision. You need to do what you want to do whatever that may be, or you're going to be kicking yourself down the road for not doing so.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Epic Awesomeness
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:03 PM

View Poste_barroga, on 14 Sep, 2009 - 11:12 PM, said:

View PostKYA, on 13 Sep, 2009 - 06:57 PM, said:

But then you can't enjoy life without the moolah.

Not true..plenty of people enjoy life without money

View Postcmwise, on 16 Sep, 2009 - 08:19 AM, said:

Um, recently Forbes came out with the top 5 paying bachelor degrees and Computer Science was second overall. Mind you, 3rd, 4th and 5th places belonged to Economics, Finance and Marketing. KYA is right, the fact that you hate accounting and are only taking it because your father told you to is a very bad decision. You need to do what you want to do whatever that may be, or you're going to be kicking yourself down the road for not doing so.

What was #1? just curious.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:03 PM

Not true..plenty of people enjoy life without money

Yes, by being optimistic. For instance, you could say: "I wish I had more money" Then you'll say to yourself: "Oh well, atleast I am doing a job I enjoy."

However, I've also heard from people that chose the career path most relevant to their hobby and claimed that doing your hobby as a career will eventually make it not your hobby.

The truth is, work is work no matter how you look at it. Doing something you enjoy does make it easier on your behalf because its something you're interested in, but mind you it "helps" you do your work better but it is still work.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2009 - 03:25 PM

I say nay. If you enjoy doing something it isn't, by pure definition, work. It is playing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2009 - 06:20 AM

mattman059: Environmental Engineering was the #1 highest paying job.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +