• +

20 Replies - 979 Views - Last Post: 24 September 2009 - 11:43 PM

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Helping Injured Animals

Posted 11 September 2009 - 12:50 PM

Hey guys,
So I see a lot of poor animals on the street all the time. I once found a small kitten that couldn't walk on her two back limbs, she just walked using her 2 front ones dragging the back 2 on the ground, so i took her in for a few weeks and treated her till she fully recovered. I also once found a cat that was bugged and hurt by some kids so i also took her in and took care of her for a while. My grandfather used to do the same(i think i got that from him), my mom told me that he used to bring a lot of cats and dogs home and treat them(he was a doctor)..she told me that they had a lot of pets back then from all the animals he brought home and took care of :)..so what about your experiences?.. any interesting stories?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Helping Injured Animals

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Helping Injured Animals

Posted 11 September 2009 - 06:42 PM

I have had many "rescues" over the years. One of the cats my room-mates had was thrown off of a balcony by his mother when he was very young. She was very sick and couldn't care for her kittens. They took him in and fed him using an eye dropper. They had him for 12 years. His name was Adoa. It stood for Almost Dead on Arrival. They took in another cat that was being abused by one of their neighbors. Right now I have two cats who ended up on the door step. We took them in, cleaned them up and now they are part of the family.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 September 2009 - 06:50 PM

currently i have only one cat, but it wasn't a rescue..its the kitten of the first cat i bought, been in the family for 11 years now.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• you can't fix stupid.

• View blog

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:43 AM

I even avoid taking care of my own familys dog, I just aint the animal type.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:49 AM

My mum rescued a pigeon and named him Trevor. She used to cuddle him, then he ran away (his wing was knackered, he couldn't fly)

A cat ate him shortly after.

We've rescued a hell of a lot of animals in the past. There was even a (just hatched) chick, no bigger than half your thumb. We fed him and kept him warm because he'd been rejected by his nest, but he died after about a week. :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• you can't fix stupid.

• View blog

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:54 AM

I gotta ask, where do you find all these animals? I live in a small town in the middle of the countryside, but I rarely if ever see any injured animals. Dead ones on the road though, there are plenty of them around.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I am a spoon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 September 2009 - 11:58 AM

Does donating count? I plan to donate to the Red-tail Hawks (My favorite animals). However, when we lived in Texas, we saved many a cat, and a poor abused coyote/dog. (Seriously, it looked like a domestic coyote).
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 12 September 2009 - 10:38 PM

My fatass cat Rupert was found crying on my porch on a rainy October afternoon. Her whiskers & facial hair had been burnt off, either by some neighbor hood kids or by an engine. She's enjoyed 9 years of a pampered life.

Any other animals that I've tried to help (around 6 or so) met a not so fortunate demise. seems whenever I try to help, I just make the situation worse, so I won't go into any of the details :(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• What did you call me?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:30 AM

All of the kittens that my dad has now came from one that he found and took in. He found it in a center block. 5 or 6 generations and 4 or 5 years later he has about 5 cats. We also took in a puppy that was being neglected by it's previous keeper. It's now a big dumb dog that like to run in front of my car when I'm driving...lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:16 AM

My nephew and i rescued this dog, we named him "perdido" well his story is quite normal, he was laying down on the way to my house hurted probably a car hitted him, and my nephew made a scene so i had to take him home. He is still alive and well except for a leg that never healed correctly. The veterinarian that made the cirgury on him said that he will never walk correctly again
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Everybody's crazy but me!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2009 - 05:44 PM

I help animals whenever I can. I love almost all animals (except spiders and certain other bugs). Sometimes instead of killing a fly, I'll open the door to let it outside. Admittedly this is partly because it's easier, not just out of mercy. Usually I just kill them.

Today there was a cute little frog out on the back porch when I let the dogs out. Cooter went after it so I caught the frog and put him over the fence.

There have been several turtles I've seen in the road, and we'll stop so I can get them off of the road. Only when there's not too much traffic though.

Recently (a few months ago) we had an injured baby rabbit in the back yard. It had apparently been run over by a lawn mower (the neighbor's, not ours) and my dogs were trying to kill it. I picked it up and saw that it's hind leg was broken clean off...I could not fix it. That just about made me sick, not the sight of the blood, but the fact that a vet probably could have saved him, but I could not. So I gave it to the neighbor man, who offered to 'do what is necessary'. Ugh. I couldn't do that, either. The poor little thing!

:(
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#12 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:10 PM

View PostOliveOyl3471, on 21 Sep, 2009 - 06:44 PM, said:

Today there was a cute little frog out on the back porch when I let the dogs out.

WHO LET THE DOGS OUT?!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:25 PM

The other day a rescued a stink bug. Not kidding. The little thing buzzed around the computer room for a couple days. Then it climbed up one of my USB cables, looked at me in surrender, and seemed to do whatever bug is for "shoot me." I scooped it up in a tissue and let it loose in the garden. I didn't have the heart to finish it off.

I've helped a lot of reptiles off of roads, snakes and snapping turtles mostly. One snapper was easily forty pounds. I held it far away from me by it's paleolithic tail so it couldn't amputate a finger. Or hand. Or knee cap. It actually growled at me.

I fished a possum out of a storm drain once. It was a baby. Claw like hooks. Even the little ones are ugly as sin.

Every cat I've ever had has been a rescue of some sort. I picked up my current half wild cat when he was begging for food in a cheap motel parking lot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:35 PM

weird man, never heard of any reptile rescue before, at least not in my country..still a good thing though
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:56 PM

when I was a kid my friends and I used to catch painted turtles and some times Alligator Snapping Turtles. We would check them for leaches and remove them before letting them go. Oh and we would hold large sticks in front of the snappers to watch the bight the sticks in have.

Right now I have a very large nest of Honey Bees living on my porch. They don't bother me so I'm letting them stay. Now all my (over grown) weeds have flowers :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +