4 Replies - 980 Views - Last Post: 20 September 2009 - 11:00 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Getting started in Assembly, need help with assemblers

Posted 13 September 2009 - 04:14 PM

Hey guys. Okay so I was researching on computer history and found out about assembly. I was completely intrigued and decided I wanted to learn it. I did some googling try to find some background on where to start and the liking. Kind of overwhelmed so far, but would really love to get some help. I have a 32 bit operating system.

P.S. I got FASM and have Vista and a Intel Dual Core 2 4300 Proc.

Thx guys.

-M0nst3rByt3

This post has been edited by M0nst3rByt3: 13 September 2009 - 04:49 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Getting started in Assembly, need help with assemblers

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Getting started in Assembly, need help with assemblers

Posted 13 September 2009 - 05:16 PM

Hi there,

you should look into MARS, just google it. Is an assembler for MIPS format Assembly language, good for practice. I recommend Computer Organization and Design (patterson & hennessey) it is a really thick book, but right now it is good.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Toubabo Koomi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 September 2009 - 05:28 PM

** Renamed title to be more descriptive to the topic **
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:09 PM

Assembly language is an interesting area to study. If you look at the resources section of this Assembly form you can see some links I posted to some x86 reference material to x86 assembly. Reading over the platform Volume I of "Intel® 64 and IA-32 Architectures Software Developer's Manual" is a good way to get an idea of what the architecture looks like.

From there one really needs a book with examples, unfortunately there are not terribly many modern assembly language books available. I have the book, "Master Class assembly language" which is pretty nice but not really a beginner's book.

So perhaps it is better to start learning on a Virtual Machine or emulator for 16bit assembly -- then just about any intel x86 assembly book you find will be helpful. As well as most of the information you will find on the net.

One great way to get info on assembly is to get a C compiler that can generate assembly language output. Then you can write simple programs in C and then see how they are constructed in assembly.

Most modern assembly language programming actually starts off my looking at the output of a compiler and then tweaking it to do what needs to be done.

Anyway -- the other Intel publications I posted links for are fantastic reference as they will show you exactly what each instruction does in detail.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• SCIENCE!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2009 - 11:00 AM

Here is some good resources to you:
Hope this helps! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +