9 Replies - 3280 Views - Last Post: 22 September 2009 - 01:23 PM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

What language should I use to make a game?

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:07 AM

I was wondering what language I should make a game with, and I thought I should ask the people at dreamincode.net. I'm going to make basic games at first then hopefully make my way up to create a mmorpg.
Would you code a game (mmorpg) in:
PHP
Java
Flash
C
and why?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: What language should I use to make a game?

#2 NeoTifa  Icon User is online

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: What language should I use to make a game?

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:18 AM

Eh, not another one.....

Whatever you're comfortable with. I am comfortable in Java, so I make things in Java. People say "oh no, c++ totally", but if you can't program in it, you can't program in it. Just do what you know. If you don't know any, then eenie meenie miny moe it. Lol. I like Java. Just research them all and evaluate the pros and cons and relate it to what you have in mind.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:59 AM

What Tifa said.

It doesn't matter what language you USE it's HOW you use it!, Kinda like something else I know hehehe :P.

http://www.dreaminco...wtopic63255.htm < READ READ READ AND MORE READ!

Proof you don't have to use a GREAT program to make a GAME.

http://www.dreaminco...h...=125971&hl= < 8 SIMPLE but nice programs I made in "VB.NET"

http://kudmipz.org/f...1.0c_Update.zip < battle arena, done in C#!

There's 2 different coding languages, you just gotta think about what you want, what you wanna do.

There's a post about making an MMORPG around here some where....

ALSO, whats your programming back ground?, did you want to use 3d? text based? 2d sprites? do you want psyics?

It makes me cringe every time some newcomer comes and says, I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT PROGRAMMING BUT I WANT TO MAKE THE NEXT WORLD OF WARCRAFT.

People have to think about, why? why do you want to make it MMO? why not single player? do you want to do it for money?(lol), why not just play already 5 year ESTAMBLISHED mmo?

These are the questions you gotta ask yourself.

EDIT: New sig :D.

This post has been edited by frostyraver: 15 September 2009 - 08:03 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:15 AM

I've never seen a post like this one. That's why I made it.
I know PHP and C.
I could learn Java or flash programming quickly.
I'm really only concerned about loading times, people's experience, and their opinion.
I guess you could say I'm relatively new. I've been programming for a couple years on and off.
I know a little bit about making games already, but I guess the more info I can get the better.
I've designed pieces of the game in pseudo code, but I just would like to know what's best language to use.
I want to do it in PHP (gd library), though if I make it in C I will have a lot more control.
If I do it in Java the person would have to have java installed and enabled. (I don't) Is one language faster than the other (networking/locally).
If I do it in Flash some linux users will experience lag.

This link: http://www.dreaminco...wtopic63255.htm
Is sort of what I'm looking for. I want a more technical break down of the languages, and why I should or shouldn't use a certain language.
Pro/Con

Any more opinions?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#5 Guest_Neumann*

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:55 AM

What's with all the beginners worrying about language's speed, efficiency, and power? Your super awesome game of tic-tac-toe will run the same using ANY language.

/thread
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:10 AM

You'll have to forgive some of us. The question is posed often, and I responded to one yesterday regarding Python as a gaming language. Additionally, the "MMORPG" tag tends to breed alot of cynicism, because any solo programmer seeking to create one that competes with published titles clearly doesn't understand the scope. (programming, business, marketing, etc.)

Second, you will sow what your reap. If your questions do not provide details on the end use, we cannot provide details on which language to use. There is no BEST language, and I would guess that while you have programming experience, you have not hit the limitations of many languages you know. This leads to confusion about which to use.

You need to define:
-Game Type (2D Classic Arcade, modern 2D, primative 3D, this year's release, online or offline, broswer based)
-Target Audience (OS, broswer, hardware requirements, etc)
-Personal Resources (how much time do you have)

Help me, help you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:18 PM

I would like to create something like Tibia (2d) or something like Runescape (3d). I know if I choose something that is 3d it will be much harder to get the gui set up.
It reminds me of seeing, "how to hack" in hacking forums, because there are so many different aspects to hacking that you can't cover them all, so I understand that it's a really broad question.
I would like to make it for Windows and Linux users.
I'm not sure what the hardware requirements are going to be, because I haven't designed the full game. That's why I posted my question in the first place.
I'm also not sure whether I should make it browser based or make a gui. I know that there isn't a "best" language, but I just want to know what language would be the fastest.
I have all the time in the world to create a game.

I'm going to make a Blackjack game in C and php.
Then I'll check the loading times of both of them.

I'll have the server and client on my local network. The codes will be extremely similar.
The client will connect and I will record how much time it takes to load using either langauge.
I was hoping someone on the forum could let me know which one would be better to use.

If the loading times are very close (which they should be) then I will just design a lot more until I know which language I need. I think I'm going to start of making some basic text based games then make some basic games, so I won't ask this question again.

This post has been edited by nemosis: 15 September 2009 - 06:30 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:49 PM

It sounds like the language choice really does not matter for you then, as I imagined it wouldn't.

Please trust me, if you start working now on a language and determine later that you need faster execution speed, more portability, faster development time, etc, you WILL NOT regret learning the first one.

Finally, for everything you program, there is the ability to optimize for loading time, execution time, etc. You can program in assembly for all I care, but if you are loading higher resolution textures than you need, or trying to render every object instead of clipping, I can probably write Python code that executes faster.

For all the language speed "shoot-outs" you usually see an agreed upon algorithm for something like searching a list, calculating pi, etc. In the real world, it is decisions like... do I blanket load modules or select ones I need... that determine program speed.

So yes... there are faster languages and there are slower languages... but your skill level determines more than the language does at the moment. Get your skill level up like you are talking about with simple programming exercises. In fact, write a game, take it here, and ask for help in optimizing bits and pieces. You could probably get a 10x improvement in speed just by eliminating common mistakes. Once your skills are honed and you STILL feel like you can't squeeze the framerates out of a given language, then you write the crucial bits in a lower level language.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Isn't a volcano just an angry hill?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2009 - 06:21 AM

The challenge is knowing the right language for the job. However, you can write everything in C. Tons of those languages wouldn't exist if it weren't for a language like C for them to be written in. The only problem with C/C++ is that you have to know what you're doing or you'll get an undebuggable mess.

If you do pick C, learn SDL and then OpenGL for something easy to do.

If you pick JAVA, research all the data structures that come with it and remember which one is right for the job. It's better to use the built in types than to keep making your own if you're using JAVA. For example, a HashSet has constant adding and removing, but it's not ordered at all. Then a LinkedList has constant adding, removing, but finding and traversing take longer and longer the bigger the list is.

This post has been edited by WolfCoder: 16 September 2009 - 06:23 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:23 PM

every language can do the job you want to do
the real questions are what are the languages that you are most familiar, what are the dependencies of the game that you want to make and how much time you want to spend on int
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1