5 Replies - 1251 Views - Last Post: 28 September 2009 - 04:41 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

VOLUNTEER - First Person Shooter team recruiting

Posted 15 September 2009 - 10:00 PM

I am currently in the design process of a first person shooter. The engine has not yet been determined, but I'm looking heavily into Ogre, Irrlicht, or Valve Source engine. Even though the game would be less feature-packed, I'm leaning heavily toward the Source Engine.

I'm looking for these positions:

1 C++ Programmer (will handle much of the actual code-work, alongside myself)

Should have prior knowledge of game design and some experience with C++.

3+ Graphic Artists:

1-2 3D Modelers (Should be familiar with organics, mechanical modeling, rigging and animation)
1 Texture Artist (Should be able to clean and tile textures)

1-2 Mappers (Please have a copy of Half Life 2, or be willing to buy one, and have some familiarity with BSP mapping.)

The jobs above are without pay barring any sort of commercial recognition of the project (at which time, proceeds will be divided amongst project members accounting for first, capital recovery, second labor compensation, and third, intellectual property royalty), and should not be taken as anything other than a hobbyist's position. I am filling the positions of:

Concept artist
3D Modeler (Specializing only in mechanical modeling and architectural design)
Mapper
Programmer
Scripter

Currently, I have a very strong storyboard mostly written, but have some room for more writing and fine-tuning. Characters are fleshed out, and the conceptual style is set.

Project information:

The game is currently set in a post-apocalyptic America, with most of the story focusing around the Pueblo area of Colorado. The playable story spans two years, and three characters, and the backstory involves plot elements beginning around 2021 and continuing for about two hundred years.

The key elements of the story involve strong themes of "right/wrong" and the perspective of each important character. The story is told from the perspective of three characters, who have their own distinct play style and plot themes. Other portions of the story will touch on strong central power, anarchy, and a small but important debate over individualism's hindrance of human advancement.

The end goal of the project is to have a showcase of 18 to 20 hours of gameplay, two hours of story-rich cutscenes, and three or more hours of optional, hidden footage adding to replay value.

The setting of each of the three stories will focus on three sorts of scenery: A facist dystopian city streetscape, a facist dystopian city skyscraper and catwalk jungle, and a rocky wasteland of ancient (modern) ruins and crumbled highways.

Please inquire through this account via PM. Thank you for your time.

Ter13
(Terrey West)

This post has been edited by Ter13: 15 September 2009 - 10:02 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: VOLUNTEER - First Person Shooter team recruiting

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: VOLUNTEER - First Person Shooter team recruiting

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:23 PM

Hello Terry;

My name is Jim Yake, CEO / Founder of a newly formed game studio, all former members of EA / Blackbox / and others.

We are currently 1 year into development of our studios first AAA (FPS) title called "END OF THE BEGINNING..." ™ url: www.eotbgame.com

I came across your post as we too are looking for staff up as we are now in talks with various publishers such as Microsoft & Sony and are now in need of a few talented programmers to help make alot of money.

What we need are two or three programmers to add to our exisitng staff of 15, not including our Music Department. Including: 2 Certified Game Designers, 2 Character Modellers, 2 Environment Artists, 2 Animators, 1 Motion Capture Analyst, 3 2D Artists / Conceptuals, 1 Editor, 1 Lead Programmer, and Myself, the Lead Game Designer / CEO / Founder. We also have 3 techno groups now working for us, each with a full compliment, and 2 of the 3 with their own modern studios.

We have 90% of the FULL GAME finished at this point, and have recieved a great deal of praise for our astounding graphics & storyline from various publishers and are highly confident that we will be aquirering a large scale contract soon, upon which time you would be offered a long term salary position within SnakeTakes Studios ;)

This is a once in a lifetime offer, I hope you think it over before you reply.

Sincerely;

James R. Yake
CEO / Founder
SnakeTakes Studios

Office: 1-780-420-6365
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.eotbgame.com

View PostTer13, on 15 Sep, 2009 - 09:00 PM, said:

I am currently in the design process of a first person shooter. The engine has not yet been determined, but I'm looking heavily into Ogre, Irrlicht, or Valve Source engine. Even though the game would be less feature-packed, I'm leaning heavily toward the Source Engine.

I'm looking for these positions:

1 C++ Programmer (will handle much of the actual code-work, alongside myself)

Should have prior knowledge of game design and some experience with C++.

3+ Graphic Artists:

1-2 3D Modelers (Should be familiar with organics, mechanical modeling, rigging and animation)
1 Texture Artist (Should be able to clean and tile textures)

1-2 Mappers (Please have a copy of Half Life 2, or be willing to buy one, and have some familiarity with BSP mapping.)

The jobs above are without pay barring any sort of commercial recognition of the project (at which time, proceeds will be divided amongst project members accounting for first, capital recovery, second labor compensation, and third, intellectual property royalty), and should not be taken as anything other than a hobbyist's position. I am filling the positions of:

Concept artist
3D Modeler (Specializing only in mechanical modeling and architectural design)
Mapper
Programmer
Scripter

Currently, I have a very strong storyboard mostly written, but have some room for more writing and fine-tuning. Characters are fleshed out, and the conceptual style is set.

Project information:

The game is currently set in a post-apocalyptic America, with most of the story focusing around the Pueblo area of Colorado. The playable story spans two years, and three characters, and the backstory involves plot elements beginning around 2021 and continuing for about two hundred years.

The key elements of the story involve strong themes of "right/wrong" and the perspective of each important character. The story is told from the perspective of three characters, who have their own distinct play style and plot themes. Other portions of the story will touch on strong central power, anarchy, and a small but important debate over individualism's hindrance of human advancement.

The end goal of the project is to have a showcase of 18 to 20 hours of gameplay, two hours of story-rich cutscenes, and three or more hours of optional, hidden footage adding to replay value.

The setting of each of the three stories will focus on three sorts of scenery: A facist dystopian city streetscape, a facist dystopian city skyscraper and catwalk jungle, and a rocky wasteland of ancient (modern) ruins and crumbled highways.

Please inquire through this account via PM. Thank you for your time.

Ter13
(Terrey West)

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:50 PM

View Postjimyake, on 15 Sep, 2009 - 10:23 PM, said:

Hello Terry;

My name is Jim Yake, CEO / Founder of a newly formed game studio, all former members of EA / Blackbox / and others.

We are currently 1 year into development of our studios first AAA (FPS) title called "END OF THE BEGINNING..." ™ url: www.eotbgame.com

I came across your post as we too are looking for staff up as we are now in talks with various publishers such as Microsoft & Sony and are now in need of a few talented programmers to help make alot of money.

What we need are two or three programmers to add to our exisitng staff of 15, not including our Music Department. Including: 2 Certified Game Designers, 2 Character Modellers, 2 Environment Artists, 2 Animators, 1 Motion Capture Analyst, 3 2D Artists / Conceptuals, 1 Editor, 1 Lead Programmer, and Myself, the Lead Game Designer / CEO / Founder. We also have 3 techno groups now working for us, each with a full compliment, and 2 of the 3 with their own modern studios.

We have 90% of the FULL GAME finished at this point, and have recieved a great deal of praise for our astounding graphics & storyline from various publishers and are highly confident that we will be aquirering a large scale contract soon, upon which time you would be offered a long term salary position within SnakeTakes Studios ;)

This is a once in a lifetime offer, I hope you think it over before you reply.

Sincerely;

James R. Yake
CEO / Founder
SnakeTakes Studios

Office: 1-780-420-6365
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.eotbgame.com

I actually saw your post, Sir, and read your storyboard and saw some of your media. I found myself curious about application, however, I'm currently stationed in South Korea, finishing off the last eighteen months of a military service, so no contracts other than hobbyist positions would be suitable for one with such an unstable and demanding lifestyle as myself.

While I thank you for your personalized offer, I think it would not be in my best interests to accept such an offer.

Thanks again for your consideration, but I am the sort of game developer that doesn't just wish to make a game, but a longstanding and memorable social commentary easily accessible to the gaming subculture as well. Have a nice day, and good luck with your project.

This post has been edited by Ter13: 15 September 2009 - 11:50 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:01 AM

It has been two weeks since my original post, and would like to make a follow-up.

I am still looking for several members to aid in the creation of a simple, but flexible FPS engine upon which to launch a game.

The features of the engine should include:

- Dynamic Octree based loading, possibly implementing seeded random template-driven node population (a mixture of handmade and semi-pseudorandom 3D maps)
- An integrated Lua scripting engine for all nodes, entities, and actors.
- A simple rigid-body/ragdoll physics implementation (Leaning toward Havok).
- Realtime map destruction utilizing heightmaps, overlays, and (very rarely) model-switching and polygon shearing.
- Dynamic 3-Axis heightmaps and scenegraph nodes.
- Networking.
- Single-textured models and multi-pass HLSL/GLSL enabled models.
- Bone and Vertex animation support.
- LOD for models and scenegraphs and CLOD for heightmaps.
- A hook/template driven AI structure.
- SQL-state saving and loading.
- A combination of deferred, static, and dynamic lighting, to include point, area, and spot lights.

For the engine, I think I really only need one additional C++ programmer.

- Demonstrated professional experience is not required, only a basic knowledge and understanding of game development, C++ programming techniques, and Object Oriented structures is required. Please also bring a drive to learn and improve oneself.
- A strong team ethic, and ability to compromise, and accept constructive criticism is recommended.
- Patience, and understanding that a basement project can take a period of years to get to a demo phase is also a requirement.

For the demo game within the engine, I would like to recruit the services of two 3D modelers.

- Demonstrated professional experience is again, not required, only a basic knowledge and understanding of low-poly modeling, rigging and animation.
- A strong team ethic, and ability to compromise, and accept constructive criticism is highly recommended.
- Concept art is welcomed, and highly encouraged. Any method of concept art, be it conventional pen and paper, or vector graphics, is appreciated. Art theory, etc. is out the window here, as this is a hobbyist job.
- Patience, and understanding that a basement project can take a period of years to get to a demo phase is also a requirement.
- Understanding that not every ounce of work goes into a finished product, and that often, many changes and compromises to your personal artistic vision must be made according to the requirements of the setting, the capabilities of the engine, and the time of all involved.
- Plagiarism and minor modifications violating intellectual properties of individuals or corporations will not be tolerated.

We are currently seeking artists with the ability to model organics, to include animals and people, and plants.
While the project lead can handle architectural and mechanical modeling, a second of either school will be much welcomed

Additionally, I am seeking a single texture artist.

- Demonstrated professional experience is again, not required, only a basic knowledge and understanding of tiling, smoothing, normal maps, specular maps, etc.
- A strong team ethic, and ability to compromise, and accept constructive criticism is highly recommended.
- Concept art is welcomed, and highly encouraged. Any method of concept art, be it conventional pen and paper, or vector graphics, is appreciated. Art theory, etc. is out the window here, as this is a hobbyist job.
- Ability to create your own unique textures using no stock or online resources is much appreciated. Plagiarism however, will not be tolerated.

In the future

In the future, we will be hunting down and training two or more mapping and event artists to use the suite of tools the programming team will create. The initial tools should merely include a map editor, and an AI scripting tool. I should expect the completion status of the project will be somewhere around 40% at this time. Positions are currently not being sought.

Pay and entitlements

We will begin the project simply hosting a blog with progress posted regularly and a tip jar. I will cover any fees at my own expense.

Upon signing on with the project, each team member will be made aware that proceeds will be split three ways.

1) Reimbursal of funds.
2) Reimbursal for time.
3) Royalties.

This job should be taken as a hobbyist position, and will not directly pay a salary, however, proceeds will be divided as detailed below:

Team members with access to the source code will sign a non-disclosure agreement, and all team members will sign an agreement stating that they waive all rights to remove their intellectual properties from the project after dismissal or willful removal from the project. Should the project be completed, and generate revenue, funds and time will be reimbursed once in as quickly and direct a manner possible. Likewise, should the completed project generate revenue, and a team member has left the project prior to revenue generation, funds, and a fair assessment of time contributed will be reimbursed by the team in as quickly and direct a manner possible. Intellectual property royalties will be divided equally apportioned to overall time, quality, and importance of continued property for any holder, without regard to their current working status on the team.

I will personally mail a signed and legally notarized contract to each team member swearing to the above system of payment and reimbursal.

This is a chance for indie gamers to get together with a team, work from home, and complete something no single programmer could ever put together. For someone wanting to break into the game development field, this is an opportunity to not only do it for real, but to actually compete head to head with a major gaming studio, to be part of a project that's got more meaning than just killing aliens and zombies, telling a mediocre story, all the while selling a million copies because it's got the word "Duty", "Army" or "War" in the title or it just happens to be a "sequel"(*cough* modification).

I've been brewing this idea for too many years for it to be "Just another B-shooter the XBox360 slammed the door on.". This is a time where the Indie developer has more recognition than ever. Companies ridicule the Indie, the guy who does it for the love of writing a game, and not a paycheck. The way I see it, books, movies, and games have too much in common. Movies tell a story, Books tell a story, and so do games. The only difference, is has a videogame really ever made you question yourself? How often have you unraveled the last chapter of the newest blockbuster videogame, and just gone back through for more than trophies and unlockable levels? I promise you, if you read the script I've written, you will be blown away (or at least have your brain run through a serious workout). This project isn't a fleeting wish. I've been gearing up for this for ten years. It's culminated, and now the time has come for the independent developers, technology has caught up to my vision, and videogames have entered the mainstream more than ever.

Now is the time.

Send me a PM, or even just reply to further discuss the project, etc.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:22 AM

How much of a time commitment would be needed?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:41 AM

View Postsyfran, on 28 Sep, 2009 - 03:22 AM, said:

How much of a time commitment would be needed?

Well, I'm military, and as such, generally busy about half of the time, so I'm not asking for a forty hour workweek. I'm just asking for a single weekly update on a blog, even if it's just "I've been thinking this". And as much work as you can commit to the project itself in any chosen branch.

It's really a hobbyist volunteer position. I generally have time to commit thirty hours a week, but that's on top of an average 60 hour workweek, a girlfriend, and some semblance of a life. I'll be having more time after december, though, so I'll be doing the lion's share of the work until a team is assembled.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1