Beginning Comp. Sci. major

• (2 Pages)
  • +

17 Replies - 1204 Views - Last Post: 19 October 2009 - 03:21 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Beginning Comp. Sci. major

Posted 16 September 2009 - 07:23 AM

Three weeks into my sophomore year in college, I've decided to start taking the intro courses working towards a computer science degree. I decided I wanted to major in Comp. Sci. at the end of last year, so over the summer I learned a couple languages (Java, PHP, Python). I've been picking up everything very quickly, but now there's just one problem. My Intro to Computer Science Majors course is SO BORING!!!!

It's the third week and we've just started looking at Java... and I use the term "looking" very VERY loosely. Ugh, anyone else have this problem? lol

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Beginning Comp. Sci. major

• Cabbage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Beginning Comp. Sci. major

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:02 AM

Kick back and get a couple of easy credits. Use the time to put extra effort into a class you find difficult or teach yourself some new stuff. Or party. Probably party. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Epic Awesomeness
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 September 2009 - 02:01 PM

Seriously dont hate the class because it's easy :P. When i switched to MIS i had already had two semesters of C++ and my first languages for MIS was Visual Basic, and COBOL (they usually make you take them separate semesters, but my advisor let met take them bot at the same time). I aced both with flying colors...Actually i finished ALL of my VB assignments and most COBOL assignments by the third week in January...(Spring semester started Jan 7th). So kick back...and maybe pick up some extra work for yourself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2009 - 06:23 AM

Yeah, I'm taking a fairly high level web programming course and it's confusing me quite a bit right now so I suppose I'll just be putting some extra effort into that class :P
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 20 September 2009 - 10:51 AM

I had the same problem when I went back down and took a 125 class over the summer. It was HTML and we learned nothing I hadnt taught myself when I was in Middle School. Seriously, I taught myself everything back in 2000 when I was 13 and messing with Tripod and Homestead. We never even got into Javascript so I just sat in the back and went through tutorials myself.

If I was you I would look at your future classes, what languages you'll be learning, then think of where you would like to work. Look up their application process and then determine if theres anything you'll need to know that your school wont teach you. If you spot anything I would use any free time you had on certification in that area.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#6 Guest_Neumann*

Posted 25 September 2009 - 12:37 PM

In this thread - people going to easy colleges complaining about classes being easy.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:53 PM

Your input was quite necessary, Neumann. No I don't go to a 'Top 10' college or anything, but by no means is the college I attend "easy."

Moving back to the conversation though, I've been talking to more and more people who have left the CS major to move to something else... and they all say the same thing: "I can't see myself doing this for the rest of my life." Well, it's either that or "Too much math." Haha
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#8 Guest_Neumann*

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:55 PM

View Postcmwise, on 25 Sep, 2009 - 12:53 PM, said:

Your input was quite necessary, Neumann.

You're welcome then.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2009 - 06:15 PM

View PostNeumann, on 25 Sep, 2009 - 11:37 AM, said:

In this thread - people going to easy colleges complaining about classes being easy.

i think most of the classes they are taking/took are programming stuff... i did take some programming courses at my uni but i also studied a lot of different stuff, a shitload of math, electric circuits, signals and systems, physics, digital logic, theory of computation, computer organization..and i still have a shit load of courses to go, digital system design, compilers, artificial intelligence, analysis and design of algorithms, embedded systems, microprocessors, networking...besides other software oriented courses..what courses did you study so far and what are you going to study next?

This post has been edited by mostyfriedman: 25 September 2009 - 06:16 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2009 - 08:32 PM

A professor once told us that..students tend to give themselves excuess when they don't do too well in the class..

students will always say " oh the class is too easy, so i don't want to do anything...."

or

students will always say " oh the class is too hard, so i couldn't do anything...""

Well! what is in between..hahahah dont' want to do it when it's too easy and can't do it when it's too hard....there is nothing in between..
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2009 - 09:01 PM

i agree
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:10 PM

Im having a similar problem I am taking a CS course in data structures and my prof is so boring. He rarely even looks at the class. Problem is his assignments are hard as hell
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2009 - 01:09 PM

I was a CS major but after working as a programmer and seeing what I would be doing for the rest of my life I decided to switch my major. I am a junior in college and this year I switched to CIS with a focus on networking, so far so good :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:16 PM

View Postbradley32, on 28 Sep, 2009 - 12:09 PM, said:

I was a CS major but after working as a programmer and seeing what I would be doing for the rest of my life I decided to switch my major. I am a junior in college and this year I switched to CIS with a focus on networking, so far so good :)

Obviously you've never worked as a networking technician lol.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:36 PM

View PostW3bDev, on 30 Sep, 2009 - 12:16 PM, said:

View Postbradley32, on 28 Sep, 2009 - 12:09 PM, said:

Obviously you've never worked as a networking technician lol.

lol, that's freaking hilarious. I worked as a network engineer for 2 years before I switched my major to electrical engineering
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +