C++ and HunterXL

I'm really interested in C++

• (2 Pages)
  • +

18 Replies - 1218 Views - Last Post: 18 September 2009 - 05:39 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

C++ and HunterXL

Post icon  Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:02 PM

Once again this is HunterXL, and im totally interested in C++ right now, and I have no idea how to navigate this site. Yea it's easy to a point, but I hate forums and stuff like that being on the same page, as tutorials because people always forget to state which one their post is. Anyway, please help me out by teaching me yourself, or giving me a link to a tutorial, that i can use without having to downloadd some kinda program. I have MS Word, FrontPage,and Office. My IM adress (for ppl who will teach me themselves) is thampboy (at)hotmail. I also have Yahoo!which is alphagamer38 (at) yahoo. Message me back please, and I'd love for someone to teach me Real Time, hands on.

*mod edit: edited email addresses.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: C++ and HunterXL

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: C++ and HunterXL

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:06 PM

our forums should not really contain tutorials.... though our tutorial sections are forum-like. You can find our tutorials over here and you can find the snippets over here.

I personally don't think posting your email address on a forum is a good idea (great way to get spam) -- so I will go ahead and remove that for you.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:07 PM

For the tutorial i guess that if you see the right side of your screen you will notice there is a title C++ Tutorial you can go throw them and youll find alot xD

Its nice that you have all those programs on your computer but for programming you will need a compiler(IDE) and there are alot, non better than the other just a matter of tastes.

Visual Studio
VC++
Code::Blocks
Dev

And lots more

Welcome to D.I.C xD
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:15 PM

View Postponcho4all, on 17 Sep, 2009 - 07:07 PM, said:

For the tutorial i guess that if you see the right side of your screen you will notice there is a title C++ Tutorial you can go throw them and youll find alot xD

Its nice that you have all those programs on your computer but for programming you will need a compiler(IDE) and there are alot, non better than the other just a matter of tastes.

Visual Studio
VC++
Code::Blocks
Dev

And lots more

Welcome to D.I.C xD

Oh, well my computer sucks, and sadly i can't download from it (besides the .doc and .txt files all over the place. Thanks for letting me know about that, I'll get one ASAP. Can ya give me a link that will get me a compiler for windows format games or whatever? (found this tutorial for 2D game using isometric based view).

View PostNickDMax, on 17 Sep, 2009 - 07:06 PM, said:

our forums should not really contain tutorials.... though our tutorial sections are forum-like. You can find our tutorials over here and you can find the snippets over here.

I personally don't think posting your email address on a forum is a good idea (great way to get spam) -- so I will go ahead and remove that for you.

Lolz thanks man, btw think you can help me with the tutos? I'm alot better with real time, than watching and trying. I'm doing a tutorial right now, and it gets boing, and irritating quick. I feel like asking the person who posted it questions without having to wait a while for an answer. Plus I didnt know about the email thing btw.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:18 PM

Here you go this are free
VC++ http://www.microsoft.com/express/vc/
Code::Blocks http://www.codeblocks.org/downloads
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:50 PM

I'll be blunt with you, but your approach to programming won't allow you to get far. Here are some statements you made that raise red flags in my head:

"Anyway, please help me out by teaching me yourself"
"Can ya give me a link that will get me a compiler for windows format games or whatever"
"think you can help me with the tutos"
"it gets boing, and irritating quick"

You're interested in the end result, but can't be bothered with the exploratory process. Programming, like many things, isn't something you can learn by being spoonfed. You need to go out and explore, which requires that you are genuinely curious and motivated to burn the time satisfying that curiousity. That involves the effort needed, so you don't get the end result without the hard work.

I probably would sound like a nice person if I gave you pats on the back with big thumbs up, but reality is completely different. You should introspect and determine if you really care to do extensive reading and trial and error and lots of hours of work on your part. If you're bored of that process quickly, consider what you are really interested in.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2009 - 11:49 PM

I actually agree with Oler1s on this one.

If you really on one-on-one help with learning to program you would do better to hire a tutor. i.e. PAY someone.

I like helping people on this site, but those times when I have given out my IM I have been sorely disappointed and been interrupted at work and late at night when I was trying to do other things.

call me selfish but I like to help people on my terms not theirs. If someone wants me to bend to their needs and their schedule they can start paying me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:19 PM

View PostOler1s, on 17 Sep, 2009 - 09:50 PM, said:

I'll be blunt with you, but your approach to programming won't allow you to get far. Here are some statements you made that raise red flags in my head:

"Anyway, please help me out by teaching me yourself"
"Can ya give me a link that will get me a compiler for windows format games or whatever"
"think you can help me with the tutos"
"it gets boing, and irritating quick"

You're interested in the end result, but can't be bothered with the exploratory process. Programming, like many things, isn't something you can learn by being spoonfed. You need to go out and explore, which requires that you are genuinely curious and motivated to burn the time satisfying that curiousity. That involves the effort needed, so you don't get the end result without the hard work.

I probably would sound like a nice person if I gave you pats on the back with big thumbs up, but reality is completely different. You should introspect and determine if you really care to do extensive reading and trial and error and lots of hours of work on your part. If you're bored of that process quickly, consider what you are really interested in.

I don't actually feel anything like what you are ASSUMING, I have spent about 3 years of my life (im only 14) trying to learn coding. Alot of the things I find lead to dead ends, and only teach me small things that help me in the wrong direction. I learned HTML on my own (thought i was gonna be learning some Linux). I have no problem working hard at all. I don't care about the end result unless there is no more to learn. I explore alot (how do you think i found this site? i wasn't told about it and never heard of it either). I'm just way better at being taught, than being told.... Tell me something and I'll hear you, teach me something I'll excel you. Obviously I should've made that more clear in my post, sorry about that. I didn't want to sound lazy, I would rather have a...."partner" than a tutor. I just need someone who knows what they are doing before they try and show me something. If you're able to teach me real time (on your terms or mine i dont care) then let me know. If not, then fine, but don't lecture me about how my words reflect me. Sorry if i sound rude, but I'm honestly offended that my word was taken so highly on the negative side..... Anyways, thanks for that note, I'll make sure to let people know that I'm not lazy lolz, but like i said, if you can help me out I'll accept the terms if negotiable I'd say the weekends at anytime. Cya
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:56 PM

Just to let you know how this sites like this work:

So you are following along some tutorial and you have a question about some point -- you post your question and normally someone will pipe up pretty quickly to help. If you don't get an answer pretty quick the chances are that either your question might be unclear, or you provided a little too much information, or your question is a little advanced.

I myself often do a good bit of research and perhaps coding some examples and so sometimes I can be a little slow when I respond.

When you ask a question tell us your thoughts on the matter -- show some effort. Often I find the answer I was looking for as I write out my post (happened to me just today).

When you ask questions like "how do I read data from a file" people will normally get a irritated and tell you to google it. or RTFM or something like that -- generally that means that you asked a question you could have easily answered by yourself -- a BIG part of being a programmer is learning to do research, To program something you MUST understand it, and that often means doing a lot of research. So asking a programmer how to do something that comes up as the first hit on Google is just going to irritate people. -- If you DID google something but still don't understand it, then post a link to some of the stuff you found and say "I found this stuff via Google, but it is not really helping" -- i.e. Show us what you did to answer the question on your own.

As for learning to program in general: You have to understand that you don't start out writing fully fledged applications -- baby steps. You start by writing boring console apps that display stupid messages. You learn concepts and you build upward. At the same time you have to find ways to make programming your own. That means that you have to say, "Well the example does this.... can i make it do that?" There your new target is related to the current example (possible taking knowledge from the previous examples).

The key to learning to program is to program -- you have to DO IT to learn it. So don't just copy/paste examples -- type out the programs, customize them in some way -- make them your own.

When you get stuck, ask a question on DreamInCode and we will help you get back on track.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:19 PM

View PostNickDMax, on 18 Sep, 2009 - 01:56 PM, said:

Just to let you know how this sites like this work:

So you are following along some tutorial and you have a question about some point -- you post your question and normally someone will pipe up pretty quickly to help. If you don't get an answer pretty quick the chances are that either your question might be unclear, or you provided a little too much information, or your question is a little advanced.

I myself often do a good bit of research and perhaps coding some examples and so sometimes I can be a little slow when I respond.

When you ask a question tell us your thoughts on the matter -- show some effort. Often I find the answer I was looking for as I write out my post (happened to me just today).

When you ask questions like "how do I read data from a file" people will normally get a irritated and tell you to google it. or RTFM or something like that -- generally that means that you asked a question you could have easily answered by yourself -- a BIG part of being a programmer is learning to do research, To program something you MUST understand it, and that often means doing a lot of research. So asking a programmer how to do something that comes up as the first hit on Google is just going to irritate people. -- If you DID google something but still don't understand it, then post a link to some of the stuff you found and say "I found this stuff via Google, but it is not really helping" -- i.e. Show us what you did to answer the question on your own.

As for learning to program in general: You have to understand that you don't start out writing fully fledged applications -- baby steps. You start by writing boring console apps that display stupid messages. You learn concepts and you build upward. At the same time you have to find ways to make programming your own. That means that you have to say, "Well the example does this.... can i make it do that?" There your new target is related to the current example (possible taking knowledge from the previous examples).

The key to learning to program is to program -- you have to DO IT to learn it. So don't just copy/paste examples -- type out the programs, customize them in some way -- make them your own.

When you get stuck, ask a question on DreamInCode and we will help you get back on track.

EXACTLY!!! See, I didn't make it clear enough, but that's what I mean. I have NOTHING to start from. I know i said I've done some stuff, all of that was via a book from a library or a friend who wasn't very close to me. So yeah, I see why you're saying post what I know or have found. Basically, I want someone to help me start from scratch on a language, preferably C++, and I have no experience at all with C++. I don't mind the small stuff as a start, when i joined byond.com I found a tutorial posted by a member named Zilal, and she taught me about mobs and icons being related, and how to make the world, show mobs (from icons) on the map with variables of health strength and defense. It seemed useless, until I found out that everything had the same idea, just written and hidden in different types of code. I tried finding something like that here, and I did find one that was helping until it said that i need a compiler and what not. I don't feel ready for that, I wanna know what all the
<Code>
#indef 
</Code>
type stuff means, not just be able to type it then compile. The tutorial was http://www.dreaminco...wtopic11833.htm

This post has been edited by HunterXL: 18 September 2009 - 03:20 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:21 PM

I prioritize being honest when I respond on forums. First, as to your query itself:

If you want some kind of teacher, then there are avenues for that. There is of course the school you currently are in, and then there's universities and their computer science programs. There's a reason people go through these 4 year or however long programs. There's value to be gained from that formal teaching experience. You pay money, and in turn, you get formal teaching. If you need people to guide you (the name for this tutoring), then there are ways to pay and get such help.

What you are apparently looking for is someone to expend time freely in taking those roles. I hope you understand that this is considered an extremely unrealistic request. It's also going to get commented upon in this manner if you post on a forum.

As to my judgment of you, I didn't call you lazy, and if that was how you read my post, then my words didn't convey my thoughts accurately. Look, programming is a craft. Like any other craft, you need to expend significant time gaining proficiency. That means, you need to be open to putting in those hours by yourself in the learning process. Teacher or not, a major component of gaining proficiency is what you put into it. You can have the best music teacher or football coach, but you aren't getting anywhere without time you burn on your own and without the interest in burning that time. Based on your statements, I made a judgment, with whatever experience I have now, about you. I judged whether you had that genuine interest in going through the learning process.

You are your own advocate, and of course you should defend yourself. But you need to reflect on whether you like spending time by yourself learning. Because that is what it takes. It says nothing about your intelligence or work ethics. But you aren't getting ahead if you can't spend time reading by yourself, absorbing that information, being curious about what you learn, and trying out different things on your own.

I don't mean any of what I said in a hostile manner. I say it so you genuinely learn something. This isn't a debate about you, and I hope you realize that. If you don't understand why I make the judgments I do, or why I make such statements about the learning process, please ask about them directly. That's a more interesting conversation than about you yourself.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:35 PM

View PostOler1s, on 18 Sep, 2009 - 02:21 PM, said:

I prioritize being honest when I respond on forums. First, as to your query itself:

If you want some kind of teacher, then there are avenues for that. There is of course the school you currently are in, and then there's universities and their computer science programs. There's a reason people go through these 4 year or however long programs. There's value to be gained from that formal teaching experience. You pay money, and in turn, you get formal teaching. If you need people to guide you (the name for this tutoring), then there are ways to pay and get such help.

What you are apparently looking for is someone to expend time freely in taking those roles. I hope you understand that this is considered an extremely unrealistic request. It's also going to get commented upon in this manner if you post on a forum.

As to my judgment of you, I didn't call you lazy, and if that was how you read my post, then my words didn't convey my thoughts accurately. Look, programming is a craft. Like any other craft, you need to expend significant time gaining proficiency. That means, you need to be open to putting in those hours by yourself in the learning process. Teacher or not, a major component of gaining proficiency is what you put into it. You can have the best music teacher or football coach, but you aren't getting anywhere without time you burn on your own and without the interest in burning that time. Based on your statements, I made a judgment, with whatever experience I have now, about you. I judged whether you had that genuine interest in going through the learning process.

You are your own advocate, and of course you should defend yourself. But you need to reflect on whether you like spending time by yourself learning. Because that is what it takes. It says nothing about your intelligence or work ethics. But you aren't getting ahead if you can't spend time reading by yourself, absorbing that information, being curious about what you learn, and trying out different things on your own.

I don't mean any of what I said in a hostile manner. I say it so you genuinely learn something. This isn't a debate about you, and I hope you realize that. If you don't understand why I make the judgments I do, or why I make such statements about the learning process, please ask about them directly. That's a more interesting conversation than about you yourself.

Yea once again, I chose the wrong words. I agree with you, and I wasn't trying to make it sound like I thought you were being hostile... I need to make better word decisions. I will definitely put time in to learn and experiment on my own, but I have no where to start. I don't know what to begin with in order to try anything. I'm ignorant of C++ in everyway other than the fact that it's a computer language, and i can program games in this language. I'm actually kind of glad you said what you said, I can honestly say that I don't have what it takes to learn it all on my own, but I will take what i learn from someone and try to improve it. As I said before, If you tell me I'll hear you. Basically I'll know that you said "this'll work if you do this, that won't be right unless this is done." But if you teach me, show me the ins and outs of the basic part of something, I'll be able to improve, and discover new things about it until I am taught more about it that I haven't looked at from the right angle. Basically I need someone to start me off, not spoon feed me. It's like (and no I'm not trying to say I'm a child, but i lack knowledge like one in this specific area) teaching a child how to cut their own steak. Once I know how to cut it, I'll figure out how to make it "taste better", and soon I'll be "cooking" like a "world class chef" lolz. Help me pick up some small stuff, I'll see if I can make them better for what I'm trying to do. That's all I need for now.

This post has been edited by HunterXL: 18 September 2009 - 03:37 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2009 - 03:53 PM

The classic first C++ program would be the hello world, its a good place to start
#include <iostream>//this is a standar librarie used in this example for cout
#include <conio.h>//we will use a function of this library to make a pause

using namespace std; //this will give us the ability to use standar operators 

int main()//its better to use int main you will get to that latter
{
   cout<<"Hello World!";//cout is used to print in screen. 
//<< standar output operator. 
//"" used for being able to write text. 
//';' should be in every end of a command or operation.

getch();//used to make a pause so the prompt doest close
return 0;//we need to return a number since the main is an int wich means integer
}

Hope that helps
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:08 PM

View PostHunterXL, on 18 Sep, 2009 - 05:19 PM, said:

I wanna know what all the
<Code>
#indef 
</Code>
type stuff means, not just be able to type it then compile. The tutorial was http://www.dreaminco...wtopic11833.htm

#indef as far as I know "#indef" has no meaning in c/C++

but you probably mean #ifdef and #ifndef -- These are pre-processor directives "if defined" and "if not defined"

These directives will include a block of code if some symbol has already been defines, or has not been defined. The block of code is ended by "#endif"

So for example you will often find something like this:
#ifndef MY_CODE
#define MY_CODE

...some code...

#endif
This will include "...some code..." if the symbol MY_CODE has not been defined... it will also define MY_CODE so that next time the preprocessor encounters "#ifndef MY_CODE" it will know not to include that block.

This construct is used to ensure that a header file's content is included only once. So I may using "#include <stdio.h>" in a number of different program, but the compiler will only include the contents of that header file once.

Another use might be to make special source code for different situations. For example platform independent libraries often check to see if some flag is set telling them that the code is compiling for windows or for linux etc.

In windows the headers will check to see if you define UNICODE -- and if you do then the functions for MessageBox etc. will expect unicode strings rather than ASCII strings. -- This is achieved by using "#ifdef".."#endif" blocks to include and exclude code.

BTW -- if you are just beginning why are you looking at windows game tutorials? Start small. You are not ready to start OpenGL programming by a long shot.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 18 September 2009 - 04:10 PM

Learning C++ isnt like learning calculus or english. You will never reach the end of your learning capacity and the only way to learn is by practice.

On Windows : Download the Microsoft Visual C++ express
1) Open A new project
2) Select Win32 Console Application
3) Post The code that Poncho4all posted
4) Click Build Project
5) Then run the application

On Linux : Download the GCC compiler along with the Eclipese IDE
1) Im not a huge linux guy but it was annoying for me to get everythging set up so might wanna ask a linux guru

This post has been edited by ImaSexy: 18 September 2009 - 04:10 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +