2 Replies - 626 Views - Last Post: 18 September 2009 - 08:50 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Learning Programming Languages

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:23 PM

Hello All,

I am new to these forums and i have discovered some onteresting things about this forum and the information that the site provides. First, i would like to ask that you please help me by giving me extra resources on c++/ or C# and the many fields of programming as i am not yet sure on what field of programming is for me. Secondly, I am a Junior in High school(Never too early to get started).I Have begun to study c++/ over this past summer. I am fairly new in the subject, but i do need help. I am aslo confused about the subjects i need to take now and in college.

Are there any classes i can take after school or during the summer that could teach me the programming languages?

What are the classes i can take now to help my chances in getting a job in Game Programming?

Thanks in advance,
Gary

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Learning Programming Languages

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Learning Programming Languages

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:49 PM

If you are looking for a job as a game programmer there are a few subjects that you could study in high school to help you in programming games. The fist of course is programming. You should become very familiar with the language you want to program games with before you start writing games. C++ is usually the industry standard when it comes to game programming. It can be done in straight C with out the object-oriented features of C++. There is a great online book through MSDN on C++ programming:
http://msdn.microsof...r/cc305129.aspx

I would start with C# or Java as a first programming language to tell the truth. Either would help you learn C++ later on, which I do recommend learning at some point. C# and Java, in my opinion, are a little more friendly than C++. I'm not saying that they are better. There is usually no better when it comes to programming languages. Each has it's own set of pros and cons. C# and Java are both good object-oriented languages and the sooner you get used to object-oriented the better as they both will be used heavily later on.

You will also want to study math and physics. You will use both quite often in your games. Calculus is usually a given. Discrete math is another topic worth looking into eventually. Game theory is another math to like into at some point.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hater & Lover

• View blog

Re: Learning Programming Languages

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:50 PM

yellow pages
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1