5 Replies - 651 Views - Last Post: 23 September 2009 - 04:24 AM

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

To template or not to template

Posted 20 September 2009 - 06:57 AM

I hope I get some honest answers here.

I'll ask my question very bluntly... now! Do you use templates in your web design? Is that common for us to use someonelse's work in our own sites. If you do, I hope you give credit.

Personaly, I do use templates in some of my test designs. cardnet, my newest project (http://cardnet.host22.com/) uses the template "Blend". Should I feel self concious about this? Is this a concern?

<babyvoice>Help me doctor!</babyvoice>

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: To template or not to template

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: To template or not to template

Posted 21 September 2009 - 06:07 AM

Well, nowadays technology in web design reached a point where a template is a must-have for a decent professional website.

When building a website think about the some aspects, like:

1) At a first view of a website the reader (especially if he has some knowledge in web development) can say whether the webmaster is an amateur or professional. And then think about how easy is for the reader to navigate through your website and how easy can he access the information he needs. You must make your reader enjoy browsing through your website and make his experience pleasant.

2) A template makes the site more pleasant for the eye, although this is not a rule. As a comparison think about Google - does it have template? no...it's simple, but efficient. Afterward think at Yahoo!'s first page. It's new design is pleasant and it's a pleasure to browse through it.

3) Organizing the information is essential.

Something about Web design and how to plan the building of a website you can find on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Web_design

Also, a more complex documentation about design and planning you can find here: http://makingthenetw...ls/webguide.htm

As it results from what I said, in answering to the question you put: "To template or not to template", planning your website is the most important step in building it.

This post has been edited by gothik12: 21 September 2009 - 06:13 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Perl Parson
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:32 AM

When building a dynamic website, it is foolish to mix your (non-display) logic with your HTML. Separating them cleanly both makes development quicker and long-term maintenance easier. Templates are the most common means of separating logic from presentation in this context.

So, yes, any dynamic site I build will construct its HTML output using one or (usually) more templates. I generally build these templates myself, based on the needs of the application which will be using them, although I'm always happy to pass that off to a designer when I find one who's familiar with thinking in terms of templates rather than final page layouts - I hate having to futz around with HTML and CSS myself.

But, then, I suspect that you're using "template" to mean "general visual appearance", while I'm using it to mean "a fragment of HTML containing placeholders which are replaced with actual content when the page is rendered".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Tired.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:10 AM

I think templates are OK when utilizing them for low end sites, basically clients that aren't willing to pay the normal cost but still want a site - that's a great way to save money.

--

Greg
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2009 - 03:50 AM

View Postdsherohman, on 21 Sep, 2009 - 06:32 AM, said:

But, then, I suspect that you're using "template" to mean "general visual appearance", while I'm using it to mean "a fragment of HTML containing placeholders which are replaced with actual content when the page is rendered".

Yea I think you need to make it clear what type of template your talking about here. Ive only had one experience working with templates like dsherohman is talking about (i.e. a fragment of HTML containing placeholders), and it was not something I would like to repeat. Admittedly I was using a v old version of dreamweaver to manage the template, but it turned out to be very unreliable - pages would break out of the template so changes would no longer cascade.

In terms of design templates, I would be lying if I said I havent used them before. More often than not its merely to get ideas for form/layout, but if your prepared to give credit where credit is due then why not.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:24 AM

dsherohman is right. I'm reffering to a downloadable webpage with preset content. You then modify the template with your content and life is easy.

Thanks for the replies guys!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1