ASP.NET Project to IIS 6 Web Server Issue

I am trying to deploy my 2005 ASP.NET Project to IIS Server

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 6082 Views - Last Post: 22 September 2009 - 02:26 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

ASP.NET Project to IIS 6 Web Server Issue

Post icon  Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:09 AM

Hello World,

I have created a ASP.NET project in Visual Studio 2005 and now I'm looking to take the project to a web server I have. I am using IIS 6 on Windows Server 2003. I set the IP Address to localhost (127.0.0.1) and TCP Port 80 and the home directory to the project folder. Using IIS 6 I have the option of using ASP.NET version 1.1.4322 or 2.0.50727. When I use version 1.1 I get the error message of:

Configuration Error 
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. 

Parser Error Message: Unrecognized configuration section 'connectionStrings'

Source Error: 

Line 7:	  \Windows\Microsoft.Net\Framework\v2.x\Config 
Line 8:  --><configuration>
Line 9:	  <connectionStrings>
Line 10:	  <remove name="LocalSqlServer" />
Line 11:	  <add name="RockwareJustice0001ConnectionString" connectionString="Data Source=Rock.Courthouse.com;Initial Catalog=RockwareJustice0001;Integrated Security=True"

Source File: C:\Rockware\PublicAccessTerminal\web.config	Line: 9 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2407; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2407 

If I change the version to ASP.NET 2.0.50727 I get the usual "The page cannot be found" error.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can resolve this issue?

Thanks

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: ASP.NET Project to IIS 6 Web Server Issue

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: ASP.NET Project to IIS 6 Web Server Issue

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:20 AM

Quick question(s):
1) What is the difference between where you are developing and where you plan on deploying?

2) do you research on the web.config file. There was a major change between 1.x and 2.0.x. The XML format structure changed dramatically. Also, IIS 6 will utilize the 2.0 requirement as well as the 1.x XML structure. I would suggest using the 2.0 but thats your call.

3) what framework is your site programmed in? If it is 1.x then use the 1.x framework for the virtual application. If its programmed in 2.0 then use 2.0. Although you can always downgrade the framework, be sure to understand that 1.x and 2.0 are very different beasts. There was alot of changes made between 1.x and 2.0.

4) Make sure you set the page load files into the Virtual path (such as default.htm, default.asp, default.aspx, index.aspx, etc) otherwise the virtual application will not know what file to load. I usually use default.htm, default, aspx, index.htm, and index.aspx.

5) Which web.config are you using? There are 2 config files. One is the server config file and the other is the application config file. If you go into IIS 6 and goto the ASP.Net tab, you will see either a "Edit Global Configuration.." and/or "Edit Configuration.." If you choose "Edit Global Configuration" you are editing the server config file. If you goto the "Edit Configuration" you are editing the application config file. I would suggest staying away from the Server config file as it will affect ALL your applciations.

Let me know what the answers are to those questions and you might find that you have solved your own problem.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2009 - 12:53 PM

1. i am developing on my windows XP machine and deploying on my windows 2003 Server. What could be different is the .net framework version.

2. I did look it up and made changes to my file system and my server:

A. 'Add' and 'Allow' the ASP.NET v2.0.50727 in "Web Service Extension"
- File: C:\%windows%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\as pnet_isapi.dll

B. Grant write permission for the "NETWORK SERVICE" to folder >>> C:\%WINDOWS%\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\Te mporary ASP.NET Files

These changes did get me by my first error but now im receiving other errors:

Server Error in '/' Application.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Configuration Error 
Description: An error occurred during the processing of a configuration file required to service this request. Please review the specific error details below and modify your configuration file appropriately. 

Parser Error Message: Could not load file or assembly 'CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=10.2.3600.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

Source Error: 

Line 30: 				<add assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.WebForms, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>
Line 31: 				<add assembly="Microsoft.ReportViewer.Common, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=B03F5F7F11D50A3A"/>
Line 32:   <-- Where the error starts--><add assembly="CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=10.2.3600.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692FBEA5521E1304"/>
Line 33: 				<add assembly="CrystalDecisions.Shared, Version=10.2.3600.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692FBEA5521E1304"/>
Line 34: 				<add assembly="CrystalDecisions.ReportSource, Version=10.2.3600.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692FBEA5521E1304"/>

Source File: C:\Rockware\PublicAccessTerminal\web.config	Line: 32 

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'CrystalDecisions.Web, Version=10.2.3600.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=692fbea5521e1304' could not be loaded.

WRN: Assembly binding logging is turned OFF.
To enable assembly bind failure logging, set the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog] (DWORD) to 1.
Note: There is some performance penalty associated with assembly bind failure logging.
To turn this feature off, remove the registry value [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Fusion!EnableLog].

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.3082; ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.3082

I searched for CrystalDecisions.Web and windows found it in a folder located in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Business Objects\2.7\Managed So I copied that folder and put into the Managed folder of my Server. That did not work.

3. I programmed in 2.0 and im going to stick with 2.0, the simplest way is the best way.

4. Yes I have it going to default.aspx

5. I am using the application config file. I have not and will not mess with the system config file.

A quick note: My project consists of a gridview, and reports. Where if they select a case in the gridview and it opens a report about that individual case.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:26 PM

First off have you made a Library Reference in the Project, make sure that when you make the reference that it is copied locally to the application. Problem is mostly likely related to the fact that the CrystalDecisions is not installed on the server as a public reference. But you dont need to install it on the server to make it available. Just make a library reference and make sure that it is setup to copy local.

Let me know what happens.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1