12 Replies - 1478 Views - Last Post: 28 September 2009 - 11:23 AM

• Professor Snuggly Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Image editing, what are you using?

Posted 22 September 2009 - 07:17 PM

I'm not one for graphics, but when push comes to shove sometimes I have to copy & paste for myself. Back in my early computing days, the big players were Coral Draw & Adobe Photoshop. Everyone & their brother had either MSPaint or XView, depending on your Operating System of choice.

So, fast forward about 10 years, & what are we looking at for industry standards? What are the home based free-lancers using? What's best for transparencies? What's ideal for animated gifs? What floats your boat in the graphic development world?

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Image editing, what are you using?

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Image editing, what are you using?

Posted 22 September 2009 - 10:51 PM

I have and always will like Fireworks (Macromedia and Adobe) over all other image editors. Even though Photoshop has recently advanced further than Fireworks, Fireworks is easy to use and incorporates web design elements which relate to Dreamweaver, another one of my preferred programs.

I'd say that there's not much difference in graphics editors for transparencies and animation. It really depends on the user and how they can adapt to the different techniques in achieving the final result.

~Anyway, its the final result that matters.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Untitled
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:18 PM

i prefer Adob Collection CS4, you can do anything you want in grapihcs, if you want to make a vector design then you can use Adobe illistraturs, if you want to edit your pics or want to do anything in deisging then you can use Adobe Photoshop, For Gif Animtaions you can use Adobe Flash and for web developments you can use Adobe Dreamweaver ( i like it very very much).

and about corel draw: i was using corel draw in past 3 years ago, but now i am not using it, just using Photoshop and Dreamweaver :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• フカユ
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2009 - 01:27 AM

I would have to say Photoshop CS4 or CS3, both are easy to use and have everything you could need from a graphics editor. All of my 2D games and any 3D stills I have edited have been done in Photoshop :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• $bert = new DragonUnicorn(); $bert->rawr();
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2009 - 01:39 AM

the only true photo powerhouse out there. Photoshop.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:17 AM

Photoshop is the standard. It should be the only thing your learning if your serious about work in the industry. (and by only thing I mean as far as competitors GIMP, and other raster programs go)

Fireworks is a dead program in my mind since everything can be accomplished by the rest of the suite. There are Fworks addicts though who claim that not to be the case, but I've converted many of them.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:36 PM

I have quite a few prefferences for graphics programs. I use Blender for 3D stuff (it is free), Photoshop for image manipulation, Gimp for additional effects that PS doesn't at this time implement (like some layer modes), Fireworks for web design (unless I am going for something non-vector, at which point I use a combination of Gimp and PS), and Illustrator for vector artwork (not web designs).

So I am pretty much all over the board when it comes to graphics. I just think that each of the programs have things they do well, and things they need to improve upon. So I use each of them for what they are good at.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Planeswalker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2009 - 05:26 PM

I mainly use GIMP for what I do with graphics. I also like Paint.NET for some quick things like copying and pasting image or resizing things quickly. I used to use Corel Draw frequently but I haven't really looked at it in ages. There was a time that I used Paint Shop Pro as well. I haven't heard much about them in ages though.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2009 - 04:21 AM

I'd have to say GIMP or Photoshop. Very nice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 25 September 2009 - 07:30 AM

I've tried a lot of them out there, but yes, Photoshop is the best I have found. I cannot stand GIMP, it's interface is clunky and wacky, coming from a Photoshop background. I also like flash for producing vector graphics as well. I don't use dreamweaver though, mostly stick to visual studio these days.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Everybody's crazy but me!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:01 AM

I like Ulead GIF Animator 5. According to this article, "No other stand-alone GIF animation tool provides all the components necessary to create dynamic animation at such an affordable price."

It may not be the industry standard, but it is still a worthwhile program. Much better than GIMP! And I think it is at least as good as Photoshop. In fact, the two programs are compatible. According to the article: "Users can also import PhotoImpact, Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro layers as separate objects. All object information is retained in GIF Animator project files for continued use.

One of the key benefits of using GIF Animator is its ability to integrate with external image editors. In addition to built-in editing tools, additional frame editing is possible in GIF Animator using outside image editors like Ulead's own PhotoImpact 6 or other programs such as Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro."

Some of the features that I like, as stated in the article:

Ulead GIF Animator 5 lets the Web designer and graphic design enthusiast produce highly creative animation for Web pages, presentations and multimedia titles.

GIF Animator provides the control and flexibility professional designers expect while offering an easy and intuitive interface for beginners.

Object-Based Editing gives users the flexibility to create and place True Color objects within GIF Animator for easy manipulation.

Tweening saves users time by interpolating frames between a start point and end point for position and transparency.

Advanced Text Control gives users precision options for creating customized animated text in the workspace with character level control and formatting like spacing, kerning, and baseline shift.

More Automated Effects deliver more ready-to-go animated effects that make complicated animations easy to make. This includes animated text effects, filters and transitions.

Tight Integration with Image Editors gives users integration with PhotoImpact and other image editors like Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro. Users can open layers from the image editor as individual animation frames or single frames with multiple objects.

I'm not saying that Photoshop users should switch to UGA5. After all, Photoshop is an awesome program. But I think that UGA5 is a powerful image editing tool that can be used in conjunction with Photoshop to create even better graphics and animations than you can with Photoshop alone.

For more information: http://www.ulead.com/ga/features.htm

This post has been edited by OliveOyl3471: 28 September 2009 - 08:05 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• binary decision maker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:11 AM

Photoshop and GIMP both have strengths and weaknesses. Coming from a Photoshop background it took me a fair while to get used to GIMP's interface, but once I did I was sold - there are lots of things it does much more simply than PS, but PS is a bit more comprehensive out the box.

Vectorwise, I'm a fan of Inkscape. Earlier versions of it were very unstable, but now it's pretty decent. And way, way easier to use than Illustrator.

I'll also say I use paint.NET on Windows a lot for simple tasks, like resizing an image or adding colour or changing transparency. It's not perfect on the transparency, btw. But it's really very very good for the simple things, and beats PS and GIMP on speed hands down.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Inspiring StoryTeller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2009 - 11:23 AM

Photoshop and Fireworks.

I use paint.net for quick 1 minute things
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +