How to lock computer if our web page is opened

Page 1 of 1

12 Replies - 1918 Views - Last Post: 11 October 2009 - 12:28 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

How to lock computer if our web page is opened

Post icon  Posted 22 September 2009 - 09:24 PM

Hi Friends,

I am developing a Online Examination System in ASP.net.
when user open our website for giving examination after his login he will select the subject for examination then question will be displayed on his screen at that time i want to block the other activities till he finish with exam.

Means while he giving examination he can not open other site , he can not access his computer drives , disable shortcut like shift+D ..etc because prevent copy

Is it possible in asp.net with C#??
if yes please give some guidelines
please help

Thanks in Advance

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: How to lock computer if our web page is opened

• Perl Parson
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: How to lock computer if our web page is opened

Posted 23 September 2009 - 04:35 AM

It may be possible to do so in some browsers by exploiting browser bugs. If the browser works correctly, though, then, no, this is not - and should not be! - possible.

If you come up with a way to do this, then many users will consider your site to be malware and I'll agree with them. Any piece of software which hijacks my computer and attempts to forcibly control what I can or cannot do with it is not to be trusted.

Now, you might be able to work up a piece of javascript which tracks the amount of time your page has focus, then compare that against the amount of time between when the page was sent and when it was submitted, which would potentially give you the amount of time the user spent with other tabs/windows active, but I'm not positive whether that's possible or not. But it probably is, although a malicious and moderately-skilled user would be able to falsify the returned information, so you really wouldn't be able to trust the results of this check.

And, even if you could, there's no way your website will be able to prevent a user from standing up, walking across the room, and grabbing a book.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• R.I.P. ( Really Intelligent Person, right? )
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:17 PM

I think your best bet would be to either have dedicated computers with access to your application only, or have supervisors making sure the students don't access anything they shouldn't. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:24 PM

You can disable start menu options within the Windows Registry.

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\POLICIES\EXPLORER]
"NoFavoritesMenu"="1"

"NoLogOff"="1"

"NoRecentDocsMenu"="1"

"NoRecentDocsHistory"="1"

I would do it this way, allowing Windows to administer itself, rather than forcing the end result based on the users actions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 September 2009 - 12:28 PM

It would be a major security risk if you were able to access the registry on a clients machine from a web server, so the answer you're going to get it no you cannot do that
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 24 September 2009 - 12:41 PM

The best way I can see to accomplish you intent is to have the person taking the exam, download the exam and take it offline. This would enable you to have much stricter control over what the user does or does not do by having executable rights of the logged in person on the machine. Forcing them to "install" the exam software would give you access to the registry, control of the network etc...

The problem is.. without on site supervision of the exam, as the above states there is nothing to prevent the user from opening a book, or in my case launching the browser on the side by side computer next to me.

Aet
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:31 AM

Even if you could, you shouldn’t...

For a start, it would panic the student...
"Beginning test..."
*Ha-ha, I am going to open up IEFire Fox and get the answer's*
"Blocked..."

It'd be like :o, “WHAT DID I DO? I DIDN'T DO ANYTHING I SWERE” ect... :P

Also anything the forcefully controls a computer should/(is?) considered Malware.

There's also the HUGE security risk involved, what if a 'hacker' steals your source, and modify it quite easily into a virus/malicious software

:D
If you really don't want a student to go on another website, have them "watched", or have the dedicated machine *has said above by 'Wimpy'*

bam ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:25 PM

I don't think that web dev has such a power. I might suggest designing a program that checks a users history. If they've been to other sites, automatic "F".
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:02 PM

People would exploit this hugely if this was possible. My suggestion, you're going to have to have dedicated machines to run your exams on and only install a browser. However it's just a fact, the only way you can truly prevent cheating is if someone is in the room watching.

Cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:09 PM

Also have the dedicated computers go through a firewall that only allows your site.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:12 PM

This is not really a web development problem. Make a REAL desktop application that works with your server and stays on top. You can do this in VB, disabled Ctrl+alt+delete and stop the start menu from showing up when they push the windows button.

Still, I have to agree with everyone else that I would be pretty PO'ED if you did something like that on MY computer. Now if I was using YOUR computers, you have every right to block me however you wish.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• |>|20-514<|{3|2

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:08 PM

Yeah, I would suggest developing a code to monitor the open tabs, and maybe even a keylogger (which is unusually invasive), and perhaps a string compare function for whatever is typed into those other tabs, and if it matches something that would mimic the questions on the exam, just give an automatic F for cheating...

However I wouldn't ever do this idea as it could be considered really invasive and might get you into a little bit of trouble with the district.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 11 October 2009 - 12:28 AM

If the student is taking an examination at home, then he can just grab another laptop/computer and have the test up on 1 screen and an open computer for looking things up on the 2nd computer. Therefore, why even implement this? Like others have stated, a dedicated machine or an instructor watching would be ideal.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1