Need Motivation!

I need help getting started learning C++/VB!

Page 1 of 1

9 Replies - 907 Views - Last Post: 02 October 2009 - 01:28 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Need Motivation!

Posted 26 September 2009 - 06:08 PM

Ok, I am still in HS, so my attention span is still developing, I need help putting phone for texting down and picking up my keyboard (figuratively, you don't pick up a keyboard when typing, DUH) I learn quickly under pressure but thats NOT a good habit, so can anyone help get me motivated to learn the languages. Im having like a block, I dont know where to start, or what do T.T only thing I know is for my first GUI project, will be a simple calclulator (I know its played out but idc) one i will do without copy/pasting code. I just cant do it, i open MS VB Express 2008, look at the design of it, then pick my phone, walk out of room and forget about it. Its not that I dont want to learn, I do, but I just need to get over the beginner language hump, i've done it once, need help doing it again.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Need Motivation!

• Programming Theoretician
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Need Motivation!

Posted 26 September 2009 - 06:46 PM

Pick a project you would be excited about doing. Maybe something that you could show off to your friends. Is there a video game or something that you really like? Create a small program that will compliment it. Maybe a program to calculate stats for players or figure out the probability of an event happening in a game. Maybe find out probability of loot dropping etc. If you are excited about what you are doing, it is your best shot at wanting to do the project.

Second thing is to set deadlines that certain pieces of the project has to be done by and hold yourself to it. Make many deadlines and make the tasks quick and short so you are always seeing completed tasks and don't get discouraged. Its the positive reinforcement that you get from tasks being completed (despite their size) that keeps you moving forward and anxious to tackle the next phase of the project.

But we aren't exactly here to teach motivation, just code. So take the words of advice I have given you as a starting point and read up more on how to be motivated in general. :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 September 2009 - 07:24 PM

THANKS!
I thought about what me and my friends like to do, Play football (Im on JV ^_^) and go the Varsity Games. We also like to play MMORPG, so theres alot of merchanting or armor calculation. What do they have in common? They need Calculator! Out JV team is Undeafeated, just like last year, and the Varsity isnt so great, so We like to make jokes about how much better are but getting the total scores from last year and seeing how much better we did scoring wise, and how much we let opponents score, and for gaming, openin the MS calculator is a pain when we want a simple damage calc or stat boost type thing if its not pinned or a shortcut, so I decided to make my own^_^ Its pretty basic, probably considered noobish to pros, but it rocks because i made it, all by myself. The concepts were similar to BYOND's DM language, so i figured out basic text manipulation and VERY basic output controls ^_^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2009 - 12:25 AM

Cookies. Set a goal and if you get it you get a Cookie :D

Even better make a machine that you can hook up to your computer. When the computer decides that you have met your goal it will despense a cookie... you'll make millions :)

This post has been edited by syfran: 28 September 2009 - 12:26 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2009 - 05:40 AM

View Postsyfran, on 28 Sep, 2009 - 06:25 AM, said:

Even better make a machine that you can hook up to your computer. When the computer decides that you have met your goal it will despense a cookie... you'll make millions :)

If OP doesn't make this, I'm tempted.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2009 - 06:30 AM

Hi, :D

Go on the internet and do a google video search on something you are interested in. For example, Visual Basic calculator tutorial, there are lots of video tutorials that could help you get started. Reading text is not too exciting; however, some of the video tutorials are fun to watch.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2009 - 08:50 AM

Oh I have already made the Calculator ^_^
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:05 AM

View PostHaffCAff, on 26 Sep, 2009 - 06:24 PM, said:

THANKS!
I thought about what me and my friends like to do, Play football (Im on JV ^_^) and go the Varsity Games. We also like to play MMORPG, so theres alot of merchanting or armor calculation. What do they have in common? They need Calculator! Out JV team is Undeafeated, just like last year, and the Varsity isnt so great, so We like to make jokes about how much better are but getting the total scores from last year and seeing how much better we did scoring wise, and how much we let opponents score, and for gaming, openin the MS calculator is a pain when we want a simple damage calc or stat boost type thing if its not pinned or a shortcut, so I decided to make my own^_^ Its pretty basic, probably considered noobish to pros, but it rocks because i made it, all by myself. The concepts were similar to BYOND's DM language, so i figured out basic text manipulation and VERY basic output controls ^_^

For some reason, just reading this forum makes me pumped about programming. Although I guess it didnt work for you lol
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:16 AM

It does for me now, Making it into s toolkit type thing with login system, using MySql Database and VB.NET
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• "ADDICTED"[2:5]
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2009 - 01:28 AM

Someone already posted about do the work - get the reward, so I won't bother you with that. It's true, but it's been said.

Anyway, creating motivation for positive things (programming) is much like creating motivation for stopping negative things (smoking, drugs, drinking, slacking, whatever).

First, (And this is the first time I've used such languages in my posts) PUT THAT FUCKING PHONE DOWN!

Now, with that out of the way, create obligation around your goal. Tell your friends that you are working on projects. Tell them that you won't be replying to their texts until you're done - so sorry.

Then - FOLLOW THROUGH. Commit yourself to not touching that phone until you have achieved your goal for the day.

Now, goals... commit to coding a bit each day. Either clean up your existing code that you hate working with, or add new features, or maybe go comment some weird actions, or whatever. Just code a little each day in some facility.

This goal is your gate keeper. If you don't achieve your goal for the day, the phone stays off - the texts stay unwritten - and your friendships degrade.

If you do achieve your goal for the day, text your ass off - it's your time now. Enjoy it!

YOU - AND ONLY YOU - DECIDE YOUR LEVEL OF INVOLVEMENT.

Grab it by the balls or quit.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1