1 Replies - 1094 Views - Last Post: 28 September 2009 - 09:08 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Help in the design of an accounting system

Posted 26 September 2009 - 08:36 PM

Hello Everyone, I've been assigned my final project at school and I've come here to ask for some basic design tips. We're in a group of four, and have to do things such as create an internet website, intranet, database, and more. But since I was the one who hadmost recently taken accounting I volunteered to figure out the accounting/financial system.

They want us to use vb.net(sigh, I've been using C# and java exclusively for the last 2 quarters or so, it's going to be hard to get away from the curly braces).

Anyway, here are the instructions set forth:

Using visual basic develop a comprehensive accounting system that includes:
* General Ledger
* Accounts Recievable with supporting revenue entries
* Accounts Payable with supporting expense entries
* General Journal
* Balance sheet, profit and loss Statement, Cash Flow Statement with an interface to Excel

It is also supposed to be menu driven.

See, the hardest part I'm having is whether someone is supposed to do the Journal in Excel, and from there I'm supposed to get the values from the excel worksheet(which I know how to do). Once I have somehow etermine what account was debited or credited for how much and then I can do the magic.

From there, I will probably just have a few buttons. So when the user clicks the general journal button, the general journal spreadsheet will pop up, when the user clicks the cash flow button the cash flow spreadsheet will pop up and so on.

Right now I'm just thinking to myself how to do this and is there a better or advisable way? I don't have to get started on this for a couple of weeks, but I'm starting to wonder about it.

Once again, I'm just looking for some possible design tips. Once I have the proper design, I'm going to be more than happy to program it.

Thanks so much for reading my long post. ;)

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Help in the design of an accounting system

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Help in the design of an accounting system

Posted 28 September 2009 - 09:08 PM

I'm pretty sure I was just trying to get too much of a head start on things. I'm sure they will give us more detail on how they actually want the system to look or be implemented. That's not a whole lot of information on a whole system, just right there.

I guess this post can be deleted. :^:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1