this is off topic in a way

it regards programming language

• (2 Pages)
  • +

16 Replies - 1161 Views - Last Post: 29 September 2009 - 12:35 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

this is off topic in a way

Posted 27 September 2009 - 12:54 PM

What would you say is the best programming language to design/develop video games and what would be the best visual software?

I would like everyones opinion, and a reason why and proof backing it up if possible, I'm thinking about doing this for my final research paper for Advanced composition, thanks to all that respond your information is always appreciated
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: this is off topic in a way

• D.I.C Head!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: this is off topic in a way

Posted 27 September 2009 - 01:01 PM

Im guessing here but i think C# is good for programing games. You can check out the forums of C# or the Game Programming they are on the left side of your screen.

:P

This post has been edited by poncho4all: 27 September 2009 - 01:01 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• SCIENCE!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2009 - 02:20 PM

In my opinion C/C++ is a very nice language for games too.
Another that is not so much good is Assembly! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Engineer
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2009 - 02:20 PM

well using OpenGL makes life easier
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2009 - 02:34 PM

love the replies so far keep them coming;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2009 - 02:58 PM

View PostImaSexy, on 27 Sep, 2009 - 01:20 PM, said:

OpenGL

+1. I would recommend that as well: OpenGL
If you like c++, then I would also try DarkGDK. It's easy to use B)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2009 - 03:31 PM

Moving to Game Programming.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:27 PM

The language you know best, and with the best libraries.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 27 September 2009 - 06:07 PM

For something easy to pick up and get going with I would say C# with the XNA Framework. XNA simplifies game development quite a bit. I have found developing games with C# and XNA easier than any other language and SDK/API. C# is, I found, relatively easy to pick up.

If you don't know C# though I would suggest going with a language that you know well. It is best to have an understanding of the language before you undertake game programming. The reason I say that is game programming in my opinion is a specializing of programming, like embedded systems in a way. There are concepts that you will not find in other types of programming.

I would highly recommend that you try and use object-oriented ideas when designing and coding your game. Inheritance and polymorphism being the two most important but in a way encapsulation is also up there on the list. For example if you are developing a 2D game you will definitely need sprites, as sprites are at the heart of a 2D game. Having a base class for sprites and inheriting from that class for the specifics is a great idea. To give a better example if you were doing a space shooter you would have a base class for sprites. Then the other objects in your game, the player's ship, bullets, lasers, missiles, enemies, etc would inherit from the base class. This will allow all of the inherited classes to use the features of the base class. The base class would have things common to all sprites like position, velocity, scale, rotation, center/origin, etc. You can also use polymorphism, the idea of a base class being able to call virtual methods of an inherited class, to aid in your game.

Compared to C++ I have found C# a little easier to work with inheritance and polymorphism. That is just a personal opinion though. C++, or just plain C, is the industry standard when it comes to creating games.

I guess the point of it is that if you know C++ and are comfortable with C++ then go with C++ and probably OpenGL. If you do not know C++, or any language, I would recommend starting with C# and then moving on to XNA once you are comfortable with it. It is just my personal opinion and I really do not want to start a language war in the forum. Every language has it's benefits and drawbacks.

Good luck with your programming adventures.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Hater & Lover

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2009 - 02:31 PM

C# all the way, it turns me on and is perfect for making games, even more when you have XNA game studio. or KSL with the compiler Karma Shop, jk its not even finished yet...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:08 PM

cool anyone else got some more opinions I'm looking on all langauges so feel free to post and I don't want a language forum war but a debate is ok ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:24 PM

One problem with .NET, ie C# and XNA, is it is easier for somebody to reverse engineer your code. I think that is part of the reason why we don't see as many professional games written with XNA. .NET languages also rule out operating systems that do not use the .NET Framework. With XNA you can develop games for the XBOX 360 and the Zune but those run on .NET Framework as well. To develop for the XBOX you do need a membership in http://creators.xna.com

Console games, PS-3, Ninetendo Wii, etc I believe use either C++ or C with their own custom graphics libraries. If you would like to develop for those platforms eventually you are stuck with C/C++.

With C/C++ and OpenGL, SFML, SDL you can write games that will run with little or no modification on Windows, Linux and Macs.

Java is also cross platform and will run on any platform that has Java installed on it.

If you are interested in browser based games, which are exceedingly popular, Java is one option. You could also look into PHP for browser based games. For graphics there is also Flash/Actionscript and now there is also Silverlight.

Basically though you can create games with ANY language. Pick the one that YOU like the best. Try and have a good understanding of it and try programming games in it.

I will stick with my original position. If you want ease of use and rapid development I would go with C#/XNA.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Segmentation fault
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:27 PM

Professional games aren't written with XNA because XNA is a toolkit for hobbyists.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:57 PM

View PostTom9729, on 28 Sep, 2009 - 05:27 PM, said:

Professional games aren't written with XNA because XNA is a toolkit for hobbyists.

I agree that XNA was released to bring game programming to the masses and it has filled that role beautifully. It is entirely possible to create a professional game with XNA though. If it evolves and continues to grow it may, and I stress may, be considered a platform for professional development, especially for the XBOX 360 and Zune.

When Windows first started it wasn't truly considered a platform for PC game development at first. Game programmers didn't want to give up their control over everything. They were concerned that sharing with Windows would bog down their games terribly. Once people started to see what was possible with it the games started to pour in. As XNA continues to evolve who know what is possible. Let's just say that I see potential there.

I agree with the point you are making. I have said it in both of my previous posts. C/C++ is the industry standard when it comes to writing games. If you want a job in game programming learning C/C++ is the way to go.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 28 September 2009 - 07:04 PM

ok let me ask some other questions when it come to making games I'm learning C++ right now/ my question is which one has the best fuctionality for overall use and being able to make games for any platform pc, console, internet games, and portable games? How easy will it be once I understand C++ to move onto other languages? What are the pros of each language, what are the cons of each language? Also if I'd want to make sure I'm getting credible information if you can whenn you post what is your experience with the different languages? Like I said I'm doing a research paper and I would like to use your opinions, facts, if you could lead me to more sources as well it would be great. So far my thesis was going to be C++ is the best language in the prgramming industry due to useabilty, functionality, runtimes, etc... But now C# with the xna isn't sounding too bad either. I am looking for credible sources so magazine articles, written books, or even programmers in the industry will work great. Also I just want to let you all know I think your all great as well and appreciate all these responses, keep the thread going;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +