Graphic Design

Degree and how to get started

Page 1 of 1

3 Replies - 1326 Views - Last Post: 09 October 2009 - 11:23 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Graphic Design

Posted 29 September 2009 - 02:47 PM

Hi! My name is Franzi and I recently discovered a strong interest in Graphic Design. My current job in an e-commerce business required me to do some promo box resizings and image updates myself. I started playing around and experimenting with photoshop and I quickly realized how much fun this is. Now I am wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions on how to get started to learn more about it and get really good at it. I already have a bachelor in a totally different field and don't know much about Graphic design yet. Do I have to do another BA in graphic design if I decide to pursue this field as my career or is it sufficient to just get a bunch of certifications? Thanks in advance.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Graphic Design

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Graphic Design

Posted 29 September 2009 - 11:35 PM

Graphic Design is a strange breed.... its very vast but i'll try to be as encompassing as possible.

There are a million different uses for the art of graphic design, its almost like saying your an 'artist', and that could mean you create music or you paint. For a designer you could be doing web design, magazine production, posters, art, etc....

There are degrees that will teach you good design practices and software, my school offers something along the lines of what could be considered a "graphic design" degree under the major of Radio-Television-Film (you just specify a more graphics oriented approach).

Some schools, have a more specialized major for graphic design, but I have less info on exactly what they teach.

Here is my deal. I'm a government major graduating in December. However, Graphic Design is my field of choice. My boss, one of the best designer's I know, is a history major, my previous boss was an english major. If your aiming in a particular direction, all you need is a solid portfolio of work.

However, if you go more into webdesign your gonna have more specific needs, such as some sort of coding background to know the ins and outs of what your designing.... or if you go into magazine production your gonna have to know more about typography and subtler aspects of design. Again, this is probably the same sort of thing you would expect with any job and a college major, there are gaps of knowledge you will have to fill in on your own.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• $bert = new DragonUnicorn(); $bert->rawr();
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:35 AM

If you are looking to just learn more about photoshop I would suggest these videos. The artist is Burt Monroy Once you can get past his hair he is an excellent source of Photoshop information. You can access his site on Revision 3 networks here http://revision3.com/pixelperfect
or just download the podcast weekly with I-tunes. Best of luck with your learning experience.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2009 - 11:23 AM

kudos on realizing learning more about gd and having the paper to prove you know what you're doing are seperate things. propaganda by deed gets you a heckuva lot farther than random bits of flare on your vest.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1