9 Replies - 25959 Views - Last Post: 22 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

how to host a site on my local machine

Post icon  Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:17 AM

Hi
i have registered a domain name at godaddy.com.. i have a little bit of experience of working in php . but strangely i don't know how to host my site on my localmachine. i can configure IIS or apache on my machine to create php pages and i did in my machine. i have created some pages for my site.

but now i want to know how to host my site on my machine. what should i do in order to show the pages on my machine to show to the user when he enters my domain name in the browser.

after buying the domain name what is the next step i have to do. but the webpages are ready. but i dont know how to link them to my domain name.

thanks for any advice...

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: how to host a site on my local machine

#2 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: how to host a site on my local machine

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:26 AM

** Moved to Web Servers & Hosting **
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:49 AM

hi,
i did some search on google and i found this site .. [a]http://www.wikihow.c...m-Your-Computer[/a]

in that they mentioned following steps to convert home computer to webserver.

1. Find your web server computer. The computer should be able to store a lot of information. The processor is not very important. If you have a router, the computer should be directly connected to that router and not wireless to minimize server downtime.
2. Get a good web server program. The program runs the web server so it is very important. If possible, find a program that can run in the background without making your computer unusable. One of the more popular web servers is Apache.
3. Configure the web server. Normally the web server program has a guide on how to do this.
4. Create a basic main page to test the server. Make sure that you put this file in your web server's document path and name it as one of the index files.
5. Check that you can see the website from http://127.0.0.1/. If you see the site continue to the next step. If your server does not run on port 80 then test your site on http://127.0.0.1:portnumber/. You may need to reconfigure your web server if you can't see this site at all.
6. Get a friend to test your site on http://yourWANip/. If he/she sees the site then continue on. If not, check some of the tips.
7. Purchase a domain and set it to your WAN ip. If you have a dynamic ip, make sure that the domain registrar has dynamic DNS services.
8. Make your site. If you want to use server-side scripting you will need to install those applications and configure them in your server.

i am clear till step no 6.. but i dont know how to map my domain name with my wanip..
can any one tell me how to do it...

in [a]http://lifehacker.co...rver-124804.php[/a] the author said that we need to register in DynDNS... is it necessary or is there any other way of doing that to map domain name with local machine IP.

"Register for a free account at DynDNS. Agree to the site's terms, and use a legitimate email address to complete registration. Once in awhile, DynDNS will email you at that address asking you to confirm that it continue your service.

Log into your new account. Go to the "My Services" area on the left side. Under "Host Level Services" click "Add Host Services." There, click "Add Dynamic DNS Host." DynDNS will autofill your IP address (if you're doing this from your home computer). Choose a domain and type in a custom subdomain, which can be anything from lifehacker.kicks-ass.org or john.is-a-geek.com or gtrapani.dyndns.org, "

pls bare my ignorance..
thanks for any help

This post has been edited by kummu4help: 30 September 2009 - 12:50 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2009 - 01:04 AM

You'll need to 1st make sure that your ISP allows for traffic on port 80, since that's the standard port for HTTP requests. After that, you'll need to log onto your router (or what shares your external interface to your internal network, & forward all port 80 requests from your modem to your webserver.

After you have verified that's working (you can test with your ip address), on your GoDaddy account you have a nameserver section. You will need to point this to your nameserver, or server that translates web names into NS records. Since you are asking about it, it's safe to assume that you are not running a DNS server, otherwise you'd know the answer to this step.

You'll need to signup for a free DNS server, I use everydns.net. Once singed in, you'll need to know if your ISP assigns you a static or dynamic ip address. If you are hosting on home service (chances you are) you'll need to use a dynamic ip address, & you'll probably need some software to run as a server/service to update the DNS record anytime that your external (routable) ip address updates from your ISP.

Once you have your DNS records setup, you'll need to reflect those settings in the NameServer options on your GoDaddy account.

Then, when someone visits your website (domain name) The request will say "this domain name points to this ip address", the viewer will then hit your modem, requesting port 80, where your modem hands off the request to the router. Your router forwards port 80 requests to your server, & your server answers.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:01 AM

thanks no2pencil..
its very hard to me to understand whole concept at once... i am trying to digest it one by one...

i am trying to host on my home computer but my ISP assigns me a static ip. so do i need to signup in dns server?

also can you tell me what this dns server actually do..

thanks again for your help...

it is a new learning curve for me...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2009 - 10:12 AM

Ok, well this is a nice trick. On any computer, get a dristribution of linux. One of the linux systems has a program that lets you use your system as a server. Make sure at your house your modem/router allows two way traffic and you have enough bandwidth. Keep the computer on if you want the website to be hosted all the time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#7 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2009 - 06:21 PM

tdzaleski : He has Apache, & what you suggested he already has working. He just needs to make forward routable traffic to the non-routable subnet.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:19 PM

thanks no2pencil and tdzaleski...
i resolved my problem... thanks for the help
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 17 September 2013 - 09:52 PM

View Postkummu4help, on 19 October 2009 - 11:19 PM, said:

thanks no2pencil and tdzaleski...
i resolved my problem... thanks for the help

Kummu4,Can you share how you fixed the issue ? I want to do the same from my local machine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#10 no2pencil  Icon User is online

• Admiral Fancy Pants
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 September 2013 - 03:36 PM

This topic is from 2009, I don't think that kummu4help is coming back to the site. Perhaps you should open a new topic with your specific situation & problems, & we'll do what we can to help you along.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1