5 Replies - 640 Views - Last Post: 02 October 2009 - 10:43 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Is this common or bad habit?

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:29 AM

Hi,

I would like to ask those senior programmer, if this behaviour is common for jr. programmer like me.
here are as follows:

whenever i have problem, have diffcult find a solution for certain coding. I will have mind block, meant i cant think as all. Then I let myself rest a while, playing an hour or so gaming. I end up successfully solve the problem.

Is this common for jr. programmer?
How long should i solve the problem?

Thinking for a patterns of programming development is diffcult, any recommendation- books or websites suggestion

Thanks in advance
Yaohui

This post has been edited by AndyLeo: 02 October 2009 - 09:31 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is this common or bad habit?

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is this common or bad habit?

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:44 AM

I do it all the time. I also have instances where I will need to look at something in the API, see that it's connected to something else, read that, see that those are connected to other classes, and I just get so overwhelmed by the possibilites I just kinda throw up my hands and say "screw it! I'll never figure it out!" Lol. This is why none of my projects get done.

It's kinda synominous with the overwhelming feeling you get when you look up at the stars on a clear night and think about how many possible galaxies there are, how many planets that have lifeforms like us on them, etc. ... or maybe that's just me. Idk.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2009 - 09:58 AM

sometimes, yeah, however, the break should be shorter than an hour. I'll run and get water and come back to it within a few minutes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:09 AM

This happens most to me when I look at the same piece of code for too long. I usually either take a break, or show it to someone else who immediately points out some minute mistake in my code that was completely obvious... Then I fix it and it usually works :D
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:33 AM

When you're banging your head against the wall, continuing to do the same thing probably isn't going to work.

Taking a break. Walking away and clearing your head. Trying to come back to the problem with fresh eyes. This behavior isn't unique to programmers. It does help.

Hell, it's one of the reasons I visit this site. I should be working, but I'm taking a break so I don't get burnt on it... back to work. ;)

This post has been edited by baavgai: 02 October 2009 - 10:33 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 02 October 2009 - 10:43 AM

I agree with all the comments here... I have often ran into certain roadblocks only to get even more frustrated when continuing to try and find a solution. Taking a break defiantly can help take your mind off stuff, I usually go to the gym or do something with my family when this happens, as there is not much time in the day... I miss having time to game lol.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1