4 Replies - 891 Views - Last Post: 04 October 2009 - 07:02 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Wordpress Org or Com

Post icon  Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:00 AM

I'm thinking of adding a blog to a website but I've come across 2 versions of Wordpress - .org and .com Whch is the better/easier to use and install for somebody with limited IT and HTML skills? Any recommendations appreciated.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Wordpress Org or Com

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Wordpress Org or Com

Posted 04 October 2009 - 03:15 AM

Wordpress.com is a website that allows you to create a blog hosted on their own servers.

Wordpress.org allows you to download the files to install it on your own server.

A wordpress installation is really simple and doesn't require any HTML at all so I believe you shouldn't have any problems when trying to install it yourself. Of course you will need to familiarize yourself with the interface but it really is a great blog platform.

You can always make an account on wordpress.com first to try it out.

Feel free to ask any additional questions.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2009 - 04:54 AM

Both sites are interrelated. They service each other. Like said, .com provides hosting through the company's servers, and .org provides the files needed for a personal blog, hosted through your personal host.

Do you have your own host?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:28 AM

I don't have my own hosting facility....... I use 3rd party such as 1and1. What are the benefits for me hosting myself or through 3rd party such as 1and1 rather than just hosting it through Wordpress on wordpress.com? Really appreciate the responses. Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:02 AM

I think firebolt was referring to a 3rd party host like 1and1 when he said "personal host".

The benefits of running wordpress from a host (not wordpress.com) is you get total control over the files / code, you can add( and modify/tweak) plug-ins, themes and widgets. Also you would be able to run it along side your website (on the same server).

This post has been edited by Trilation: 04 October 2009 - 07:03 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1