3 Replies - 968 Views - Last Post: 06 October 2009 - 08:14 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Where can I find a good free Tutorial or Ebook on...

Post icon  Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:36 AM

Alright, I am a prgrammer but the programming course I took focused on business programming and not game making. I have knowledge of the old VB 6.0 programming and pre .NET ASP but as of late I have really gown to love programming in PHP and Javascript. I have been wanting to take up a prject and start developing a web based fantasy game but have no clue where to start with game development. I have database knowledge and love using mysql. I was thinking that Adobe Flash would be a good tool to use on making my game and I have started dabeling in Action Script 3.

My question is, where can I find a decent free tutorial or ebook that I can print off and follow to really get a good understanding of how to make an internet based game? I have the programming knowledge, I just now need to be rewired to focus on game making and not business stuff. I have tried googling for tutorials but have not really found anything too great to get me started.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Where can I find a good free Tutorial or Ebook on...

• NeoTifa Codebreaker, the Scourge of Devtester
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Where can I find a good free Tutorial or Ebook on...

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:51 AM

Think more creatively. If you know how to program, think about algorithms for collision detection, moving things around the screen, and other various functions. File IO is a must as well...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2009 - 05:51 AM

you can always look at torrent sites for game development game programming etc
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:14 AM

I know this may seem to defeat the purpose, but you may have better luck finding ebooks by dividing what you want into seperate topics. Find an ebook on game theory, game design, and possibly game creation. Then find seperate ebooks on PHP, Flash, Javascript, and Action Script 3. You might even get lucky and find an ebook on RPG creation.

Unfortunately your chances of finding a single ebook to provide all the information you need is very slim. By seperating the topics you'll also learn a lot more about your chosen topics that may be more helpfull in the long run.

Other topics of interest for developing an RPG include: Artificial Intelligence, Memory Management, Graphic Arts, Sound Effects, Storyline development, Project Management, Language specific prototyping, Database management, Webpage development, Website security, among hundreds of others.

If you've never made a game before, my best suggestion is to put RPGs on the back burner for a while and work on a few puzzle games, then a few arcade games, then perhaps an adventure game or two, all before you even start on your RPG. The reason I suggest this is that those types of games all have key concepts that you'll learn that are essential for making an RPG.

This post has been edited by magius96: 06 October 2009 - 08:15 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1