5 Replies - 1895 Views - Last Post: 30 October 2005 - 04:41 PM

• printf("I'm a %XR",195936478);
  • member icon

• View blog

About </dic> using Invision PowerBoard

Posted 29 October 2005 - 05:01 AM

Whenever I search for something in </dic>...it says "Thanks your search has been completed...blah blah..Click here to stop waiting".
I'm sure that some process must be being carried out during the redirection. Or else it should have directly taken the users to the search results...
Any logging or something?
I wonder what it is....

P.S : Mods...I couldnt find an appropriate category to post in...please move this post wherever u think it's better placed.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: About </dic> using Invision PowerBoard

• g+ + -o drink whiskey.cpp
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: About </dic> using Invision PowerBoard

Posted 29 October 2005 - 05:56 AM

Actually, that sounds like it might be something with your browser...when I search, using firefox, opera, or safari, even ie, it takes me directly to the search results.

Have you tried clearing the cache on your browser, closing all instances of it, and starting the browser again?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Got Bug?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2005 - 08:01 AM

That's odd....mine tells me that it's completing my search and I have the option to click a link if i don't want to wait...but it just gos right to the results if I don't click anyway.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Head DIC Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2005 - 09:25 AM

The way the search function works on invison (to the best of my knowledge) is when you search, the board actually creates a temporary table and recordset with your results. If it's a very large query, you would be redirected to the search results and have to wait for the query to finish, the redirect serves 2 purposes, to let you know it's processing your request so you don't get a blank page, and to give the server a moment to actually finish searching.

I personally use the search in the upper right corner, that actually uses the google api with PHP and SOAP. The results aren't always as accurate as the forum search itself, but gets the job done outside the lounge pretty well.

I'm not 100% sure why the post screens and such have the redirect, probably to get the new post/thread ID. *shrugs*
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• printf("I'm a %XR",195936478);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 29 October 2005 - 09:49 PM

Hmm...thanks...was just curious.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 30 October 2005 - 04:41 PM

skyhawk133, on Oct 29 2005, 10:22 AM, said:

I'm not 100% sure why the post screens and such have the redirect, probably to get the new post/thread ID. *shrugs*

if i remember correctly when we were following invisionboards progress closely leading up to 1.0 the reason was both to get post id's as you said as well as something to help spread the load out a little more. I think the latter is more for the search pages but it does help a little while posting.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1