3 Replies - 1797 Views - Last Post: 06 October 2009 - 12:43 PM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Will .net(c#, vb.net, ado.net etc) be easy to learn if I know Java?

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:55 AM

Will .net(c#, vb.net, ado.net etc) be easy to learn if I know Java?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Will .net(c#, vb.net, ado.net etc) be easy to learn if I know Java?

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Will .net(c#, vb.net, ado.net etc) be easy to learn if I know Java?

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:42 AM

You will find C# easy to learn with you knowing Java as the two languages are very similar in syntax, there are some differences.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Planeswalker
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:27 PM

C#, Java and C++ are all descendants of C so much of the syntax will be familiar to you. If you have seen one for loop in a C-style language you have seen them all pretty much. The writing of methods, while loops, switches, if statements and basic data types are pretty much all similar. There is a difference in multidimensional arrays between Java and C# but once you know it there isn't much of a problem. You can use jagged arrays in C# like Java though, from what I remember.

The hard part, and baavgai has said this many times, is the libraries. Java has its packages and C# has the .NET framework.

VB.NET will be a bit different. The syntax is the biggest difference though but once you know the classes in the .NET library you should be able to accomplish the same tasks in VB.NET as with C# as they both use the .NET framework.

I can't personally say the differences in database handling, ADO.NET with the .NET framework, between Java and .NET languages as I have never worked with a database in Java.

I believe you will find creating GUI applications with C# or VB.NET a little easier than with Java, from what I've heard though I haven't gotten to GUI applications with Java yet. Have too many other projects on the go to spend much time on that. I can read and understand a Java console program with no problems though as like I said if you've seen one C-style language you have seen them all. It is interesting to note that there is a big difference between the way classes work in C++ and C# and Java. C# and Java are pretty much the same but with C++ the syntax looks a little cryptic but that is just a personal opinion.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2009 - 12:43 PM

C# is very easy for someone with any Java experience. Classes are just slightly different in the way they work since C# uses namespaces, but if you are using an IDE like Visual Studio you will probably never have to deal with anything terribly different. The one thing that is different when it comes to day to day coding is getters/setters vs properties. C# uses properties, which are similar to variables in the way they are used, but instead of accessing them through getters and setters like you would in java, they create their own getters and setters.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1