14 Replies - 1192 Views - Last Post: 07 October 2009 - 06:07 PM

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Tell me what you think

Posted 06 October 2009 - 02:56 PM

Hi all I would like some input on what you think of my site and what improvements I could make to make it better thanks.

http://www.haiyun211...source/main.php

This post has been edited by haiyun211: 06 October 2009 - 02:56 PM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Tell me what you think

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Tell me what you think

Posted 06 October 2009 - 04:16 PM

You are not using the Web 2.0 idea consistently. The buttons and horizontal links on the left use the Web 2.0 idea but I don't really see it in the rest of the page. The right edges of the site don't match up perfectly.

The page does scale to fit screen resolutions and window sizes and it works consistently.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2009 - 06:32 PM

Have a read here: http://websitehelpers.com/design/

There are a few things which need to be dealt with.
-color scheme
-location of components
-general design
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2009 - 07:51 PM

First off, change the cursor back in my opinion. Web designers used changed cursors back in 1.0. This is 2.0, the design should speak for itself and not need a tacky cursor to make it better. Also, you're entire site could be made in HTML, you are in serious need of some gradient effects.

Cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:58 PM

Well, you have a layout, I'll give you that. However, you need to look a bit more sleek. Some gradients and images could give you that effect.

I also can't understand why you put all your posts on the side. Why not put them in the middle?

And two little details:
1) Why does my cursor change to a + symbol?
2) Your last modified script isn't working.

Not a bad start but it needs some 2.0!

EDIT: Cute baby! :D

This post has been edited by kewlkreator: 06 October 2009 - 08:59 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2009 - 08:24 AM

Thanks for all your input. I am not really familiar with this web 2.0, what is it exactly? I also don't know what you mean by needs some gradient effects.

However, you need to look a bit more sleek. Some gradients and images could give you that effect.

I am wondering if you have some kind of an example of what you are meaning here? I am still way new to the design aspects of sites.

The reason that the the last updated script does not work right is every time some one enters my site it uses my php script to count and changes the page and makes it show that it has been edited since technically it is corect. If any one knows a way I can fix this problem please give some input.

Thanks
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:36 PM

Try taking a look at this

http://bestwebgallery.com/

It's a site that keeps up with the latest trends online. Also a gradient is a change in color from one point to another. I'd say 90% of these are using gradients in some point. Good luck :D

Cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2009 - 12:39 PM

Thanks. Witch do you think is better the navigation on the side or the one at the top I really can't decide how I want it?
@markhazlett9
you had made one right here: http://www.dreaminco...topic127663.htm and I was wonder how you set that up it looks great but I think its a little to out of my league?

This post has been edited by haiyun211: 07 October 2009 - 12:49 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:00 PM

I have found that navigation is usually better at the top. Most sites I visit often all use navigation at the top. Having columns is good for the layout of your content though. I did like the column on the left of your page with the blue navigation buttons.

What graphics program do you use? That will determine, in a way, how you draw your gradients. Usually you choose two colors from a color palette that would go together. For a vertical gradient you would select the gradient tool and drag from bottom of the image to the top, or from top to bottom. For horizontal ones your drag left to right or right to left. The direction you drag determines how the gradient will be drawn. There are also many different types of gradients. Linear is the most common but there are also bi-linear, radial, square and others.

You can check out this site if you are a GIMP user on creating web 2.0 style buttons:
http://gimp-tutorial...tyles-for+-Gimp

If you use Photoshop there are probably many more tutorials on creating Web 2.0 gradients.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:09 PM

View PostSixOfEleven, on 7 Oct, 2009 - 03:00 PM, said:

I have found that navigation is usually better at the top. Most sites I visit often all use navigation at the top. Having columns is good for the layout of your content though. I did like the column on the left of your page with the blue navigation buttons.

What graphics program do you use? That will determine, in a way, how you draw your gradients. Usually you choose two colors from a color palette that would go together. For a vertical gradient you would select the gradient tool and drag from bottom of the image to the top, or from top to bottom. For horizontal ones your drag left to right or right to left. The direction you drag determines how the gradient will be drawn. There are also many different types of gradients. Linear is the most common but there are also bi-linear, radial, square and others.

You can check out this site if you are a GIMP user on creating web 2.0 style buttons:
http://gimp-tutorial...tyles-for+-Gimp

If you use Photoshop there are probably many more tutorials on creating Web 2.0 gradients.

Thanks a bunch for the info I will look at that and try out some things. I use gimp and I'm having trouble with determinig where to put my advertising links like my DIC one?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2009 - 04:31 PM

Sidebars are usually the way to go. In my newest version of my web site on XNA I have the content area on the left with a side bar on the right. In the side bar on the right I have a few recent news items followed by ads or links. That seems to work for me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:09 PM

View PostSixOfEleven, on 7 Oct, 2009 - 03:31 PM, said:

Sidebars are usually the way to go. In my newest version of my web site on XNA I have the content area on the left with a side bar on the right. In the side bar on the right I have a few recent news items followed by ads or links. That seems to work for me.

Ok thanks so I was wondering what you think of the overflow on <p> tags do you think that it dates the site too much or looks just fine I personaly like them
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Coding is a lifestyle
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:30 PM

View Posthaiyun211, on 7 Oct, 2009 - 11:39 AM, said:

Thanks. Witch do you think is better the navigation on the side or the one at the top I really can't decide how I want it?
@markhazlett9
you had made one right here: http://www.dreaminco...topic127663.htm and I was wonder how you set that up it looks great but I think its a little to out of my league?

Well I first designed it in photoshop, you have to know your way around it at least a little bit. It took me all summer to learn photoshop to design a site like that from scratch. However it's definitely do-able. Just take a look and do some research into the newest web trends, etc and then follow some of those. Most of them however do require some photoshop so learn that first :D

Cheers
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:01 PM

I don't often use the <p> tag anymore. Just don't really like it. I prefer to use <br /> to control line flow and have the text wrap in the divs.

If you like GIMP, this is a great tutorial on creating a web template with GIMP and coding the HTML/CSS for the site.
http://www.gimp-tuto...ML-CSS-863.html

You will want to change things up a bit with maybe buttons, different style nav bar, etc. I really liked the layout and used it for my tutorial site.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 07 October 2009 - 06:07 PM

Thanks a lot guys I really appreciate your help to all of you
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -