11 Replies - 845 Views - Last Post: 08 October 2009 - 09:30 PM

• The Persian Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Is it reasonable for you to be forced to learn a language ?

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:16 AM

Hi, it's been years and years, every student here (iran) is forced to learn English and Arabic at school. I totally agree with English because it's a must, and it becomes very handy. As for myself, I liked to learn German instead of Arabic, but because I had to study Arabic for exams, I didn't have the chance.

Do you people think it's a reasonable fact ?
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Is it reasonable for you to be forced to learn a language ?

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Is it reasonable for you to be forced to learn a language ?

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:33 AM

Yes. I assume you are kinda young with a grudge against your schools curriculum (we all went there), but communication is a must. If you can't communicate effectively in your own national language, learning a foreign language is going to be very tough. Every job you could possibly get into involves communication of some sort. The people around you all speak Arabic, and if you speak German because you didn't want to take Arabic, then they wont understand you, and lots of problems come up. Trust me, English is my first language, and I hate it with a passion. I wished I could've stopped taking the classes in like 6th grade, but I'm in my 15th English class now, and still learn new things every day. Languages are dynamic and change very very often, and it's useful to how to utilize the different ways to use them to your advantage, whether it's writing a beautiful love poem for your lover (or an emo poem of suicide :P), a business proposal, a friendly letter, wedding vows, a book, etc. There are many different applications that require certain parts of that languages grammar or vocabulary, but if you can't apply those methods effectively, then you could say something to hurt your brides feelings on her special day, repulse said lover in love letter, lose your job, etc. It's good that the government recognizes this and makes sure that this is being taken care of..

This post has been edited by NeoTifa: 08 October 2009 - 06:40 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Ill-informed Mongoloid
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:37 AM

View PostNeoTifa, on 8 Oct, 2009 - 05:33 AM, said:

wedding vowels

Do U take I...? :P Did you mean wedding vows Neo? :)

She is right though. You really should learn your national language at school. It does kinda help.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:39 AM

Lol see, I told you I still learn things every day XD I suck at spelling. Stay in school kids, or you'll wind up like NeoTifa.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Persian Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:43 AM

Iran's language is Farsi (or either call it Persian), not Arabic... and I already know Farsi (:D Native) but still we study the grammar in school too. Farsi's font looks very similar to Arabic's, but it's proportion to Arabic is like German to English, we have 4 additional characters and different grammar.

Oh just imagine, You have to learn 3 grammars at same time... Farsi, Arabic and English! and so far, English has been easy for me to learn... but all my friends state this too "Arabic Grammar is too hard for us to learn" and there's no use for that... but who listens to us and take care of it ? :) so far, my mother understands me :D thanks God she supports me :rolleyes:
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:50 AM

Oh, I didn't know that. Well, since a lot of the surrounding countries speak Arabic, and almost everyone around the world speaks English... That does sound tough. I understand. I looked at an Arabic textbook I [s]torrented/s] acquired >_> and I got a headache.... I could just image learning that and Engrish at the same time. Sorry. ((and kus omac is a naughty word by the way tee hee hee))

((and on a side note I just realized I have 69 thanks! 69!!1!1!!!one!!1!!1!!! [/immature]))
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Persian Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2009 - 06:59 AM

Hahaha yup! it's one of the naughtiest words in Arabic, I guess. the Equivalent Persian word is... hmm nvm :D
Yes all the countries in west and south parts speak arabic, but east borders speak Farsi-Dari which is an older form of our language. There are many words looking same as each other in Arabic, but different meanings... you have to have a high concentration rate to understand it (for non-native people of course).

Anyways, this is my last year studying it :) But I feel so sorry for those kids who have to start learning it.

Edit: Congratulations with 69 thanks! I have 5 of them!

This post has been edited by Anarion: 08 October 2009 - 07:01 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Algorithmi
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:47 AM

well since you are a muslim then i guess Arabic will be better for you than German, you can still learn German later on. I am now learning German in college
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2009 - 10:36 AM

They do this because your closest neighbors speak Arabic. It's only reasonable you be able to understand them. Trust me, half the problem with American society is that no one wants to learn another language and 89% of people expect the other country to learn English.

Maybe 89% is too much. Let's say an overwhelming majority.

This post has been edited by ccubed: 08 October 2009 - 10:37 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• The Persian Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2009 - 11:50 AM

But I have never traveled to any Arabic speaking country... there is no use for me and still forced to learn it with no reason. Wasn't it better if it was optional ?
I want to learn German because I am going to move there in upcoming years, so that will be useful for me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• It's That Guy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2009 - 02:47 PM

I imagine arabic to Iran is like Spanish is to America. A lot of people don't want to learn spanish and a lot don't want to learn english. Where does it leave us?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• I am a spoon
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:30 PM

Being trilingual could land you a nice job at the UN. ;)

I think's a good idea to be able to understand a second language, but there is no reason to force a third.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1