which one should i choose?????

• (2 Pages)
  • +

26 Replies - 3696 Views - Last Post: 05 June 2010 - 05:28 AM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

c++/ VB or HTML.....

Post icon  Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:46 AM

i have what you can say basic training of C. but now im in grad and i want to be able to do something with my programming! VB is in my course this year. what i want is help to figure out which language should i pursue. lyk which language would really help me in my career. which one should be my priority! c++/ VB or HTML.

P.S. HTML being there cause i think it will be a surplus to learn it

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: c++/ VB or HTML.....

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: c++/ VB or HTML.....

Posted 08 October 2009 - 09:38 AM

Take C++ over VB6 (if that's the VB you're referring to), you could also check into VB.NET which is more widely used (But out of the 2 go with C++). HTML isn't a language per say, it's just a markup language for the web. Also, this really doesn't belong in this forum as it isn't a programming question, it's a What should I focus on question so I'm moving it to the Corner Cubical :)
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2009 - 05:19 AM

Whichever syntax makes the most sense to you. If VB makes more sense, go for VB. If C++ makes more sense, go for C++. :)

HTML isn't a programming language, it's a markup language. You can't "program" in HTML per se, it's just a way to make text bold and stuff. But if you want HTML, you may be considering a web-based career, ASP/PHP (again, whichever of the two makes most sense to you) with Javascript + CSS/HTML is your best bet.

off topic:

View PostPsychoCoder, on 8 Oct, 2009 - 03:38 PM, said:

What should I focus on question so I'm moving it to the Corner Cubical :)
I thought that was what the student campus was for? :blink:

This post has been edited by gabehabe: 09 October 2009 - 05:21 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Stomach
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2009 - 12:35 AM

If you choose C++ go for it. We have the same age of the language and still widely used. If you choose windows based programs choose the latest. Honestly, no offend to windows coders, programming languages from windows will die eventually and replaced with the new one. I knew one programmer here she only knew Visual Foxpro for quite a long time now the language is already dead she study again from scratch.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2009 - 04:01 PM

View Postnirvanarupali, on 10 Oct, 2009 - 06:35 AM, said:

I knew one programmer here she only knew Visual Foxpro for quite a long time now the language is already dead she study again from scratch.

I still use visual foxpro. ;)

No offence to you friend, but if you have to "study again from scratch", I don't think you really belong in the industry. As a programmer, you should be capable of simply adapting to new technologies, not having to start over. :/

This post has been edited by gabehabe: 10 October 2009 - 04:04 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2009 - 05:46 AM

ok thanks alot people but i want to know is why not VB6 n why c++??????
i mean whats the drawback in preferring VB6 over c++ as you all are suggesting c++

so like PHP/ASP/java scripting they all are just mark up languages????????
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2009 - 03:07 PM

The common argument against VB is that it goes against the common programming practices a language should normally utilize.

Also, and someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, I believe VB, in any form, isn't widely used in professional software development.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:23 AM

[font=Comic Sans Ms][color=#CC66CC] and c++ is used in professional software production?????????

and what type of programming practices r u really referring to?????? the change in synatx or the interpreter thing?????????
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 23 October 2009 - 10:36 AM

View Posterik.price, on 15 Oct, 2009 - 02:07 PM, said:

The common argument against VB is that it goes against the common programming practices a language should normally utilize.

Also, and someone correct me if I'm wrong on this, I believe VB, in any form, isn't widely used in professional software development.
Off-Topic:
Actually our company used VB6 for our program. It's not being rewritten in VB.NET

On-Topic:
You should go for what's more comfortable for you. That being said, you also need to look at what you want to do with this knowledge. Is there something you want to develop or a company you want to work for? What do they use for programming.

I was taught .NET, ASP and VB, but now I'm trying to branch out go into C++ and Java. The thing you will notice about most programming languages is that the syntax is really only the main difference.

Looking at Javascript, trying to learn it too, I notice that a lot of what I was reading I had already learned the concept with .NET. So now my hurtle to overcome is the syntax itself.

This post has been edited by MacAnimeGirl: 23 October 2009 - 10:37 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 October 2009 - 04:21 AM

Is there something you want to develop or a company you want to work for? What do they use for programming.

i personally want to be able to freelance program n try a bit of game programming. a specific company is not in my mind right now and i dnt knw about many companies either.
i dont know what skills are needed to be able to freelance. i thought learning the more popular languages would do the trick but now im kinda lost
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• ninja DIC
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:33 PM

View Postkonstanz, on 23 Oct, 2009 - 09:23 AM, said:

and c++ is used in professional software production?????????

and what type of programming practices r u really referring to?????? the change in synatx or the interpreter thing?????????

ummm.... Yes! C++ is one of the most widely used Professional languages. An industry standard. About 80% at least of all the OSs are written in C or C++.

The following is a link, from Bjarn Stroustrup's site of Major applications written in C++

http://www.lextrait....mentations.html

programming practices, like semi-colons after a line of code ; which is pretty common, use of brackets for seperating blocks of code { ...... }

to name a few, which are used in most languages, but not VB.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Google.Sucks.Init(true);
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 06 November 2009 - 01:42 PM

View Posterik.price, on 15 Oct, 2009 - 01:07 PM, said:

Ok I will correct you :) A couple years ago I worked for a very large company (we had over 500,000 clients, give or take a few) and all the work there was done in VB.NET (VB.NET for Windows application and ASP.NET w/VB.NET for web.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:37 AM

The following is a link, from Bjarn Stroustrup's site of Major applications written in C++

this link here mostly shows soft wares based on c/c++ it dosent even have basic and i have heard basic is a very strong and important language!

but thanks alot all of you! i really now know what i have to do and which language i should pick up thank you!!!!!!!!!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2009 - 06:52 AM

View Postkonstanz, on 23 Dec, 2009 - 12:37 AM, said:

this link here mostly shows soft wares based on c/c++ it dosent even have basic and i have heard basic is a very strong and important language!

but thanks alot all of you! i really now know what i have to do and which language i should pick up thank you!!!!!!!!!

Basic is turing complete, meaning it can make the computer do anything any other turing complete language can do. It's no stronger than any other language. I wouldn't really call it important...

C/C++ will get you farther, so I most definitely suggest that. If you go with VB, I would highly recommend that you at least go with VB.NET. VB6 is a disaster.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:27 AM

Well, since you're going down the gaming path, let's look at it this way:

Think of C++/VB6 and HMTL as class paths, as in, say C++/VB6 is like warrior and HTML is sorcerer. When you first create a character, you have to decide of the main path you want to take. You evolve in this path a bit, but you sort of want to cross train a bit to combine the skills, say, to make a Paladin (Holy warrior who can cast healing or holy spells). This path will mean you have to refine your original path a little to lean more towards your desired mixed class. That's where say a .NET or scripting language comes in.

C++ is an object oriented programming language to create applications. VB6 can be used for that, but it's mostly just used for Macros and stuff as far as I've seen. If you're going into game dev, stick with C++ or even my baby, Java. C++ knowledge can lead you to C# easier (Java is very similar in syntax), which you can use XNA to develop games and stuff for Xbox. Java can lead to Javascript and then you can make browser based games and such. That's where the HTML will come in. HTML is just for appearances and layout. It does nothing by itself. To make a website actually do stuff, you need a scripting language such as Javascript or a web programming language such as PHP. PHP is similar to VB6 imho, so if you learn VB6, you can be on the right track.

No one can tell you what to learn, and the learning path is one you can customize and morph into something truely unique. The only thing we can do is guide you by giving suggestions. ^__^ Happy coding!
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +