• (2 Pages)
  • +

26 Replies - 4116 Views - Last Post: 05 June 2010 - 05:28 AM

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: c++/ VB or HTML.....

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:23 PM

@Neo: Java really doesn't lead into Javascript all that well. They're both Object-Oriented and have the word "Java" in their names, but that's about where the similarities end. I agree with you, though, on why to pick up C++, as its syntax is very similar to many other languages like C, Java, C#, and to a lesser extent PHP.

@OP: PHP, Javascript and ASP are programming languages that work with HTML, which is a Markup Language. They help add interactivity (Javascript) and dynamic content (PHP/ASP) to your webpages and websites.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:40 PM

Oh, I thought it did. :/ Never fooled with it tbh.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Using up all your 1's and 0's
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:30 PM

Oh come on macosxnerd, they're sort of similar in general syntax. Of course a lot of languages would be similar in general syntax then wouldn't they haha.

I would say go for learning C++ if that's what you want to do. If you're looking for a widely used language Java is good both for a Server-Side web language (JSP) and as an application language. It is (as far as I know, last time I checked the statistics) the most widely used language in the world. That could be wrong, but I know a lot of companies here develop in Java.

Also in relation to HTML, if you are looking at getting a basic handle on the web, look at taking a crash course on HTML and CSS. CSS is just a way to separate the styling of your web page from the content. A good site for learning web related topics:w3schools

This post has been edited by TriggaMike: 23 December 2009 - 11:31 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Self-Trained Economist
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:23 PM

View PostTriggaMike, on 24 Dec, 2009 - 02:30 AM, said:

Oh come on macosxnerd, they're sort of similar in general syntax. Of course a lot of languages would be similar in general syntax then wouldn't they haha.

These listed languages should be similar syntactically as they are all derived from C. However, not all languages are syntactically similar; just take a look in some of the other forums like Perl & Python, Ruby, ColdFusion, ASP.NET, VB, VB.NET, and especially Other Languages (Haskell, Lisp, Clojure, and most notably Assembly language). However, it makes sense that related languages look syntactically similar and unrelated languages don't look too similar. However, if you're looking at the more basic components like loops, conditionals and arrays, then yes, most all languages are very similar in how they implement these concepts. For example, the overall structure of a for loop isn't going to change from Java to Ruby in the fact that there is an init, condition, var-mod organization. If this is your viewpoint, then it is very narrow as once you get into real programming (beyond the Intro level at least), you will see that the more advanced concepts begin to take on more distinctive styles and syntax.

@Neo: Javascript is only a pseudonym for ECMAScript. It was given this pseudonym as a marketing attempt to tag onto Java's success in the 90s. As you've proven, marketing works. ;)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Pragmatism over Dogma
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2009 - 11:59 PM

If you're going into web an upfront is NEVER even THINK about using comic sans. If you want an explanation google it.

HTML is just a markup? (I know... hyper text markup language) Yes, in a sense, but it's more of a skeletal thing than just making fonts pretty, it's CSS that does the work. Php/javascript are languages, though I'd suggest javascript first, php is a tad harder to get set up for.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Can grep dead trees!
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:22 AM

Generally I think that ALL PROGRAMMERS should learn HTML basics -- its not very hard, and it comes up just about everywhere... IF you are a programmer at heart you will probably want to know at least SOMETHING about javascript so that you can do DHTML (dynamic web pages) that have roll-over buttons or whatever...

But you should also learn a "real programming language" (not that I don't consider Javascript a real language, it just... well its all client side isn't it really). For this the big choices are usually:

C/C++ -- Takes a while to really learn, teaches you a great deal about how computers work, how OS interact with programs, how data is stored in memory etc. -- It is fairly low level and VERY powerful. This can be hard for beginners esp. if they really want to get into games/graphics quickly.

Java/C# -- Both Java and C# are very powerful languages with far reaching implications on what they are capable of doing. These are both very good platforms to begin on. One can learn many more of the programming concepts without having to focus so much on the low level operations... These are both "Rapid development" platforms which means that there are lots of tools to help in getting things done quickly if your in a hurry these are very good places to start...

VB.Net (I would not recommend VB6 because Microsoft wants all VB6 programmers to die in a horrible bus accident) -- VB is perhaps a little more friendly than Java/C# -- while technically it is just as powerful, it tends to have kind of a "toy" feel to it. Its syntax is a little less strict, it does not care so much about type safety... its main purpose is to get the beginner up and running... So if you are a beginner its great... don't expect a lot of respect when you program in a language with "beginner" right in the title!

PHP -- i.e. you want to be a web developer. IMO this is not a very clean place to learn to program. Although you can do all of your typical homework assignments from a C++ class in PHP (by that I mean things like printing pattens of stars, calculating correct change, calculating interest on loan, writing a sorting algorithms etc.) -- but the whole point of PHP is to produce web pages, this mean you will need to learn HTML right off the bat... and that means CSS/Javascript... and so you will want to use jQuery, and you will read about AJAX, and how wonderful and fast JSON is... it would seem to me that PHP would be such a terrible place to begin... BUT if you love the web, you'll pick it up!

The scripting languages -- Oh there are too many to mention, but languages like Lua scripting for games like World of Warcraft, or Python scripting in Blender, or Python scripting in general etc... These are actually pretty good places to start but like PHP -- they make confuse learning "programming" with learning other things specific to some environment...

So if you are serious about learning programming, start with C/C++

If you are serious but in a hurry, learn Java or C#

If you are curious about programming but intimidated easily, learn VB

If you are serious about web development, learn PHP

If you have a scripting environment available and like to play with things learn a scripting language...
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Lover

• View blog

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:55 AM

View Postkonstanz, on 15 Oct, 2009 - 04:46 AM, said:

ok thanks alot people but i want to know is why not VB6 n why c++??????
i mean whats the drawback in preferring VB6 over c++ as you all are suggesting c++

so like PHP/ASP/java scripting they all are just mark up languages????????

the general attitude is that VB6 is for idiots and that if you know C++ you can do anything VB can do.

If you really want to do this- not just think you should, but really WANT to- brush up on your logic, brush up on your math, and just get a compiler open and start bashing out code.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• Hater & Lover

• View blog

Posted 31 December 2009 - 11:11 AM

I think anything based off C would benifit you in the long run. I personally prefer C#, but C++ and C are great for cross platform. If you want to take a look at C# then go to msdn.com and xna.com for game programming and winforms.
Was This Post Helpful? 1
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2010 - 05:51 AM

thanks a million neotifa! that was really exactly what i needed! thank you for describing it so deeply!
hey im learning python with the help of an online course! thought it would be a nice scripting language to learn! what do you guys think?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:57 PM

@lemur: you have a grudge against comic sans or something?(not that im a big fan of it anyway)
@everyone else: thanks alot guys! you are helping me alot!
i am sort of in a hurry and not in a hurry at all! its kind of in between! c++ is such a big language! all the other languages are also very big! so, skipping the intro part! (cause i have done that) where should i realy start from! any hints about that would be much appreciated? keeping in mind that my ultimate goal is games/graphics! im not really interested in making hardcore 2d applications
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• if(coden4fun.NotTired){ ContinueToCode(); }
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 04 June 2010 - 02:35 PM

At your age, stage in life, do some research. Work with all of them in as much detail as you can. Once you find something you truly find acceptable, easy to understand but still a good challenge go for it. There are many VB haters out there rather you speak of VB6 or VB.Net, however, I think they're still great! I can still write a program in VB.Net just as I could if I was using C#.

It also depends on what type of application you wish to make. For instance, if you are going the web route ASP.Net or PHP would be the first 2 languages you would look at with the markups of HTML, and then CSS/Javascript(JQuery).

If you were working on an application that you knew would utilize Windows functionality C#, C++, VB. .Net would be the route. If you were working on low-level micro-controller stuff C, or Assembly would be the choice (others possibly could be worked out with a library as well).

hope this helps

View Postkonstanz, on 04 June 2010 - 12:57 PM, said:

@lemur: you have a grudge against comic sans or something?(not that im a big fan of it anyway)
i am sort of in a hurry and not in a hurry at all! its kind of in between! c++ is such a big language! all the other languages are also very big! so, skipping the intro part! (cause i have done that) where should i realy start from! any hints about that would be much appreciated? keeping in mind that my ultimate goal is games/graphics! im not really interested in making hardcore 2d applications

If you want to do gaming learn C++ and if you want to do web based games 2d online games you could find on miniclip learn Action Script 3.0 or Java
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 05 June 2010 - 05:28 AM

View Postcoden4fun, on 04 June 2010 - 01:35 PM, said:

At your age, stage in life, do some research. Work with all of them in as much detail as you can. Once you find something you truly find acceptable, easy to understand but still a good challenge go for it. There are many VB haters out there rather you speak of VB6 or VB.Net, however, I think they're still great! I can still write a program in VB.Net just as I could if I was using C#.

It also depends on what type of application you wish to make. For instance, if you are going the web route ASP.Net or PHP would be the first 2 languages you would look at with the markups of HTML, and then CSS/Javascript(JQuery).

If you were working on an application that you knew would utilize Windows functionality C#, C++, VB. .Net would be the route. If you were working on low-level micro-controller stuff C, or Assembly would be the choice (others possibly could be worked out with a library as well).

hope this helps

View Postkonstanz, on 04 June 2010 - 12:57 PM, said:

If you want to do gaming learn C++ and if you want to do web based games 2d online games you could find on miniclip learn Action Script 3.0 or Java

thanks man! this sure will help! especially the last part! hey what about python BTW? what's it best for?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (2 Pages)
  • +