Is it really worth it???

Page 1 of 1

10 Replies - 900 Views - Last Post: 16 October 2009 - 03:32 PM

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Degrees of worth

Posted 09 October 2009 - 09:45 AM

Ok, so I'm more than halfway to getting an Associates Degree in Computer Programming, and I'm definately planning on continuing my education for higher Computer Programming Degrees. I know that getting an Associates or Bachelor's degree is well worth the effort, as I've seen countless job postings demanding no less than a Bachelors or an Associates with 10 years experience.

My question comes down to this: I'd like to continue all the way to a Doctorate, but is it really worth it? Then again, if it's not then is it worth it to obtain a Master's? I don't really see a lot of job posting requesting for Masters degrees in Computer Programming, the few I do see asking for Master's almost always request for a Masters in Computer Science or a Bachelor's in Programming.

I'm asking this because it's cost me around $42,000 to get my Associates, and I know my monthly payments will be about $200-$300. I'm concerned that if I go all the way that I'll end up spending almost $175,000 for a Doctorate and my payments would be a little over $1,000 a month. I've got two child supports to pay, so I'd have to earn a lot of money to be able to afford the student loan payments.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Degrees of worth

• g++ jameson.cpp -o beverage
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Degrees of worth

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:04 PM

Bachelor's: yes

Master's: yes, but it'll mean more if you do it after you are in the workplace for a bit

doctorate: sure, if you want to teach
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:43 PM

KYA, just wondering because it intrigued me... Why do you advise to go for your Master's after you've been in the workplace for a little bit? Is the experience more beneficial?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#4 Guest_Neumann*

Posted 09 October 2009 - 01:44 PM

View PostKYA, on 9 Oct, 2009 - 11:04 AM, said:

Bachelor's: yes

Master's: yes, but it'll mean more if you do it after you are in the workplace for a bit

doctorate: sure, if you want to teach push the industry forward

Was This Post Helpful? 0

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 09 October 2009 - 02:02 PM

View Postcmwise, on 9 Oct, 2009 - 01:43 PM, said:

KYA, just wondering because it intrigued me... Why do you advise to go for your Master's after you've been in the workplace for a little bit? Is the experience more beneficial?

I'm told you appreciate it more, real world applicability, etc...
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2009 - 07:06 AM

Funny thing is, I've already been in the workforce programming for about 5 years. Though without a degree I'm lucky to earn 25k per year.

My real concern I guess is if there is a job market with enough compensation to make up for the student loan payments if I go all the way.

As for getting the doctorate to teach...that is kind of one of my dreams, though I wasn't really planning to teach until I get to the point of retirement. You know, teach after retirement to supplement any retirement funds I'm earning.

This post has been edited by magius96: 10 October 2009 - 07:08 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2009 - 08:51 AM

If you are a good programmer, you can easily earn more than 25k a year without a degree. Continuing education to Masters and Doctorate level degrees are essentially aiming to take lead developer, management, or teaching related jobs. I wouldn't recommend continuing unless your goal is these areas, and are willing to push to get into one of these positions. It is a very competitive market these days, so whatever you do, do it with all your heart... that's what it requires.

$42,000 to get my Associates

Holy crap dude... that's about how much my BS is going to cost after financial aid. And my Masters Degree in Software Engineering from Drexel University will cost about 41k before financial aid. Maybe look at some other schools?

This post has been edited by W3bDev: 13 October 2009 - 09:00 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 15 October 2009 - 12:53 PM

I won't have much choice but to look at other schools soon. After I get my Associates my fiance and I are moving to a different state. When I decided to go to college, this one was the only one in my range that taught C#, VB.NET, and Java.

I thought about trying for an online degree, but that wasn't really an option because I can't always afford internet. But let's say I could afford internet, are the online degrees really worth the same as a degree obtained from a brick and mortar school?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#9 Guest_Neumann*

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:01 AM

View Postmagius96, on 15 Oct, 2009 - 11:53 AM, said:

are the online degrees really worth the same as a degree obtained from a brick and mortar school?

Obviously not. I wouldn't even call them degrees.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:02 AM

If a brick and mortar school has online classes, then yes.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:32 PM

There is a great prejudice in the defense industry towards those that have degrees over those that don't. For them; a masters degree counts as an additional 2 years experience. Granted it takes 2 years to get a masters degree going full time (longer if part time).

However, with their prejudice they also tend to offer education assistance to those who want it. So unless you have alot going on; it is foolish not to get your masters in that scenario cause otherwise your not getting your full benefits package.

The problem with doctors is depending on your field it can actually cause you to have fewer jobs available to you. You either need to want to teach; perform research; or be so incrediably talented companies can pay what they feel you should be worth. If a company doesn't feel it can pay your worth they won't hire you even if you say you would be willing to work for less. At least so I have been told by a couple of others.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1