3 Replies - 785 Views - Last Post: 10 October 2009 - 06:43 PM

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Simple question

Posted 10 October 2009 - 01:25 PM

As I am pursuing my CS degree I have extra elective classes and so my question to you guys would be; which of the two would be a better choice for learning first, C# or C++. Especially since I would like to end up working for a company such as Lockheed and Martin or Boeing. I am already on my way into java and thoroughly enjoying it.

Any opinions would be great.
Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Simple question

• using Caffeine;
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Simple question

Posted 10 October 2009 - 02:16 PM

Think this will be moved to the Corner Cubicle as it is not really a C# question and the question has been asked many times before.

It depends on what you are planning on doing at the companies you mentioned. If you will be working on embedded systems or other low level systems then you will want to focus on C or possibly C++. C# is a .NET language which means it will require the .NET framework in order to be used, or now there is Mono but I haven't looked at that so I can't say much about it. If you think you will be creating desktop or web applications, with ASP.NET then I would say C# would be the language of choice.

In either case learning C/C++ or C# will make learning the other much easier. The syntax is quite similar between the two as they are C-style languages. There are some major differences between them but the similarities in syntax are there: if statements look the same, switch statements look the same, for, while and do while loops look the same.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Addict
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2009 - 03:29 PM

I currently work at Boeing as a contractor. All of the work that I'm currently doing is in Java and some in C/C++. Most of the work that I've seen using c++ is for real-time embedded systems. The only time I've really seen C# used is for web apps.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 10 October 2009 - 06:43 PM

Thanks for the replies so far.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1