e-reader's

• (2 Pages)
  • +

26 Replies - 1337 Views - Last Post: 20 October 2009 - 05:57 PM

• serial frotteur - RUDEST MEMBER ON D.I.C.
  • member icon

• View blog

e-reader's

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:09 PM

so guys, i had been thinking about perhaps getting a kindle this winter. they have a pretty great selection at this point, and with the recent price cut to 260, it's got a pretty decent price entry point.

and yet, with all the news of apple's tablet and microsoft's courier inbound in early '10, i can't help but think maybe those are where everything is going. they would obviously contain full lcd displays rather than e-ink, but damn can you imagine all the possibilities of those? do you guys think those would be as viable to read in length? i mean, i stare at my computer monitors at work all day, it's not like anything would really be changing.

so where do you stand? intrigued by e-ink readers? waiting them out? help me make purchasing decision!

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: e-reader's

#2 Guest_Neumann*

Re: e-reader's

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:27 PM

I can stare at computer for long periods of time too, but I simply cannot read books on it. My eyes cannot withstand the stress. So I only have two choices when it comes to reading my PDF documents - print them on paper or use e-reader. The idea of printing a 600 page document did not sit well with me, so I got myself an e-reader and I love it.

I did not buy Kindle, because it had a very crappy PDF support (or so I heard). Instead I got myself Sony PRS 505 - http://www.amazon.co...l...2556&sr=8-1 I don't have any problems viewing PDFs on it. Now, if you want to get a reader for the sole purpose of purchasing books online, then Kindle is the way to go. Nothing really beats Amazon's store.

Concerning Kindle's crappy PDF support, just today I found out that there is a new version of called Kindle DX - http://www.amazon.co...d...2717&sr=1-1 Apparently it has a native PDF support and with its enormous screen you can view the documents in their natural size. So I guess if you have 500-600$ to spend then DX would be the best choice.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• Still the sexiest mofo.
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:27 PM

I think in a few years these tablets we keep seeing or whatever you want to call them will be a huge market. Think about it, all these people "going green", you would be able to download your newspaper to it, read it anywhere. You could do your homework on it and send your instructor an email with it attached. We're moving in the direction where schools no longer will have to lug around books or notebooks of paper. I for one think this is a move in a great direction and I think it will catch on fast.

Ive thougt about getting my dad a kindle for christmas but am in the same situation and not entirely sure if I want to get it now or wait until the new Courier comes out. Im really liking the looks of that.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2009 - 03:36 PM

yeah the pdf support on the dx is another thing that's holding me back.

for anyone not in the know on the courier: http://gizmodo.com/5...actually-use-it
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• What did you call me?
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2009 - 09:12 PM

I was thinking about the Sony e-reader but couldn't decide either. Maybe I'll wait for color e-Ink to come out and then maybe 256 bit e-Ink graphics...That would be awesome.

reading a book on a monitor does get strenuous at time but looking at shades of grey all day can be unnerving too...True most text are black and white but then again what about books with highlighted code and such...all grey can be boring
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• i am colt mccoy
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 13 October 2009 - 11:49 PM

View Postsupersloth, on 13 Oct, 2009 - 03:09 PM, said:

so guys, i had been thinking about perhaps getting a kindle this winter. they have a pretty great selection at this point, and with the recent price cut to 260, it's got a pretty decent price entry point.

and yet, with all the news of apple's tablet and microsoft's courier inbound in early '10, i can't help but think maybe those are where everything is going. they would obviously contain full lcd displays rather than e-ink, but damn can you imagine all the possibilities of those? do you guys think those would be as viable to read in length? i mean, i stare at my computer monitors at work all day, it's not like anything would really be changing.

so where do you stand? intrigued by e-ink readers? waiting them out? help me make purchasing decision!

buddy has a kindle and its much more like a book.

i'm a book guy. i like that i can just toss it in the corner and pick it up later. the kindle is like that. i would go for both.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2009 - 01:59 AM

1) Get an Android phone
2) Download PDF and CHM readers
3) Download PDFs and CHMs
4) ???
5) PROFIT
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• you can't fix stupid.

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2009 - 04:17 AM

Have an android phone, can't read shit on it. It's too small, which makes it even worse than reading on the computer which sucks to begin with.

These things sound pretty awesome, though there is something special about reading a "real" book.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• GabehabeSwamp
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2009 - 05:09 AM

View Postgawdlike, on 14 Oct, 2009 - 10:17 AM, said:

Have an android phone, can't read shit on it. It's too small, which makes it even worse than reading on the computer which sucks to begin with.

These things sound pretty awesome, though there is something special about reading a "real" book.

I can read on my phone just fine. Though I admittedly don't read too much anyway. Still prefer real books.

Also, the topic shouldn't have an apostrophe. Pet peeve. :)

This post has been edited by gabehabe: 14 October 2009 - 05:13 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Whorediot
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2009 - 05:50 AM

Kindle? I've heard of this. I want.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2009 - 06:27 AM

I like the kindles, but I have an Android phone which comes with a e-reader.

Calibre is a nice e-book management tool for your PC
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• you can't fix stupid.

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:07 AM

View Postgabehabe, on 14 Oct, 2009 - 04:09 AM, said:

Though I admittedly don't read too much anyway.

This I find to be the problem with reading on phones/computer, it just isn't as nice
as reading a book when you have to read more than just short passages.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2009 - 09:09 AM

i think my decision was made for me in the interim you guys

http://gizmodo.com/5...tos-and-details
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Dreaming Coder
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:01 PM

View Postgabehabe, on 14 Oct, 2009 - 02:59 AM, said:

1) Get an Android phone
2) Download PDF and CHM readers

:blink:

Thus far all PDF support for Android I've seen has sucked rocks. Perhaps you have a secret?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

#15 Guest_Neumann*

Posted 14 October 2009 - 12:16 PM

Forget the support. Who the hell would try to read a 600-page document on a phone? But even ignoring the screen size, you're still reading from an LCD screen. The whole point of e-readers is to provide us with a special technology that doesn't fuck our eyes up when we try to read for an hour or two.
Was This Post Helpful? 0

• (2 Pages)
  • +