PHP and Java

Learning PHP and Java at the same time..good-bad idea??

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 2384 Views - Last Post: 24 April 2011 - 11:17 PM

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

PHP and Java

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:02 AM

hey guys,

Im learning PHP on my own and just got my hands on a good book for Java. Is't clever to learn both languages at the same time, how much work/stress is't?

My real interest when it comes to programming is web-related. I want to learn javascript after PHP and then AJAX and others to have a solid foundation.

With that being said, I am now considering Java because I heard some people say it gives a very good intro to programming as a whole and you get to know how things really work...focuses on the real fundamentals. Is't true? if it is should I learn both at the same time or learn one after the other??

Thanks.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: PHP and Java

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: PHP and Java

Posted 16 October 2009 - 03:20 PM

View Postcoolmac112, on 16 Oct, 2009 - 12:02 PM, said:

hey guys,

Im learning PHP on my own and just got my hands on a good book for Java. Is't clever to learn both languages at the same time, how much work/stress is't?

My real interest when it comes to programming is web-related. I want to learn javascript after PHP and then AJAX and others to have a solid foundation.

With that being said, I am now considering Java because I heard some people say it gives a very good intro to programming as a whole and you get to know how things really work...focuses on the real fundamentals. Is't true? if it is should I learn both at the same time or learn one after the other??

Thanks.

Personally, I need a little seperation between langauges to help seperate their concepts. I heard php is relatively easy to learn (I have never taken the time to learn it); so going with it first sounds like a good idea. Also there are more servers out there that let you run php scripts than java programs. Java in web development tends to be at enterprise grade level applications. If you are set to learn java; then consider learning a subset of it. Focus your attention towards applets and JSP.

The nice thing is if you learn a langauge like Java; it is easier to learn other languages. But you should get a similar benefit from php. It just won't be as great (this opinion is based on what wikipedia discribed as the langauge constructs, no having fully programmed in it).

From an intellictual point of view all languages you are interested in are going to have very similar constructs like for loops, if statements, etc. But php is going to have some things it has specialized in based on serving up web pages; and trying todo those same tasks in java is goign to be much harder.

This post has been edited by salindor: 16 October 2009 - 03:21 PM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:46 PM

This article
http://www.dreaminco...1&#entry1321041
says no. I say, sure!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Changed Man With Different Priorities
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2011 - 07:58 PM

It's not a good idea to learn both at the same time. It's better to fully grasp one then move on to the other. Learning something require a lot of focus, dedication and practice. With my experience in learning languages even after I've learned one I still from time to time type the syntax of one language in another.

In PHP you may be tempted to do this...
$a[] = array(4, 3, 5, 2); //incorrect
$a = array(4, 3, 5, 2); //correct

It happens even when you're not learning two languages with a lot of similarities in their syntax much less learning them at the same time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 24 April 2011 - 11:17 PM

Programming concepts are almost always the same. Why don't you learn one and get a good grasp of the basic concepts and how to code a little then you can move on to the next one.

That way you'll know what you want to do and it will take you less time to get the second language.

If you want to compare the languages, they're only comparable if you're speaking of Java EE. They're quite similar. Syntax is not really the same like codeparada already mentioned.

If you have to pick, go with Java first. I love both the languages btw.

Good luck to you :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1