• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 October 2009 - 05:40 PM

Here's the final result of the logo we will be making today:

Posted Image

And here is my Halloween version:

Posted Image

First off, you need to find a font that you would like to use. I generally use the font known as "Tondo" because it resembles the actual font of the twitter logo very closely.

You can download Tondo here: http://www.dafont.com/tondo.font

Install it (or whatever font) on Windows XP by opening up Control Panel -> Fonts, and then dragging the font over into the Fonts folder. On vista, simply right-click the font and select "Install."

Once you have your font ready, open up Photoshop. Your document should be properly sized to fit the logo but not too big as to leave empty space. I will be using the size 350x125 pixels. Resolution 72 pixels per inch. Color mode RGB, 8 bit. Background contents white (we will change this later). Just the default settings pretty much.

Posted Image

Now that we have our open document, let's start off by unlocking the background layer (just in case). To do this, ALT+Double Click the name of the layer.

Now, let's create a new layer using the New Layer icon or by pressing CTRL+ALT+SHIFT+N.

Go ahead and select the text tool, select the Tondo font (or whatever font you are using), set the size to about 72 points, and type out the word "twitter" (or whatever text you wish to type). Yes, leave the 't' lowercase.

Your stage should now look like this:

Posted Image

There is a small adjustment we need to make to the text's character spacing. I've noticed the twitter logo seems to have the characters pretty close together. After some experimentation, I find that -60 character tracking works best for the font size 72 points.

To change this, go to Window -> Character. On the window that pops up, find Character Tracking, and set it to -60. Character tracking is the text highlighted in the screenshot below. While your in the character panel, go ahead and change the text color to whatever you like. I will be using the twitter logo's exact color which is hex code #33ccff.

Posted Image

Now, select the background layer (the layer we unlocked earlier), set your foreground color to solid black by pressing the "D" key on your keyboard to restore default colors, or just clicking the foreground icon and changing it in the color panel. Now, press ALT+Backspace to fill the layer with black. We are doing this right now so that we can see the white stroke we are about to apply to the text.

Your stage should now look like this:

Posted Image

Alright, now select the layer with our text on it, and go to Layer->Layer Style->Blending Options. Check the box next to "Stroke". Now, we need to find a decent size for our stroke. I find that for font size 72 point, the stroke size of 8 works perfectly. Change the fill color to solid white (#FFFFFF).

Posted Image

Now, your logo is almost done. This last step is optional, but I think it adds a bit more style to the logo.

First, CTRL+Click the icon of the text layer. This will make a complete selection around the next. Next, create a new layer above the text layer. Select the elliptical marquee (you may have to click and hold down the rectangular marquee tool until a list pops up and the select the elliptical from the list). Hold SHIFT+ALT, click a bit off the stage in the top left hand corner, then hold and drag to off the stage a bit in the right hand corner. Let go of the mouse and you should have created a new, oval like selection at the top of the text.

Posted Image

Select the gradient tool by clicking down and holding on the fill tool (the bucket) until a last comes down, then selecting the gradient. Change your foreground color to solid white (#FFFFFF) and change the gradient settings to Foreground to Transparent by clicking on the gradient in the upper left hand corner of the screen under the "Edit" and "Image" drop-down buttons, then selecting Foreground to Transparent from the list (the second icon on the list).

Hold down SHIFT and click and hold a bit above the text. Drag your mouse down to a bit below the text and let go of the mouse. This will make a nice highlight on the text. You may need to experiment around with where you click and where you let go for best results. Now, if needed, drop the opacity of the new layer with the highlight on it down a bit. Sometimes I find 60% opcaity best, sometimes 40%, and sometimes I don't change the opacity at all. It really depends on where you clicked and let go of the mouse during the gradient stage on how intense the gradient is and where it fades out.

Here is what the stage should look like:

Posted Image

Now, if you wish to have a transparent background, click the eyeball next to the background layer to turn it off. Thank you for reading my tutorial. I hope it gave you new insight into photoshop and helped you create a cool logo. You can change the text of the logo to whatever you like and experiment around with the colors and settings to create new and cool logos (like the Halloween version I created).

Again, here is the final result of the logo:

Posted Image

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 1
  • +

Replies To: Twitter Logo Remake In Photoshop [Regular + Halloween]

• D.I.C Lover
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 20 January 2010 - 04:00 AM

Twitter's font is called Arista, but you will need to have Arista and Arista [bold] (for the letter 'e').
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 December 2010 - 01:09 AM

nice tutorial thank you for posting.

Sarah Johnson
Graphics Designer
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 04 May 2011 - 01:38 AM

I like your tutorial. Thank you for information. I am web developer, but I also create web design. I will try to use to use your tutorial
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 15 November 2011 - 07:44 AM

This is nice. I remember when I was browsing for such tutorials back in the days. Keep going!
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 19 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

Very nice and comprehensive tutorial. The interface may be different with Windows 7 now, though, and you could try updating this for newer OS and photo editing software. Making this into a video will be simpler and more interesting to readers as well.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 30 April 2012 - 03:13 AM

very good job
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1