• Last »

123 Replies - 10553 Views - Last Post: 06 November 2009 - 09:43 AM

• .. does not guess solutions
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Windows 7 Released

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:16 AM

View PostCore, on 22 Oct, 2009 - 07:10 AM, said:

Got the copy from MSDN a while back. Enjoying it so far and I can say that I really like the updated API and UI possibilities.

You totally just reminded me, updated the first post :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Baller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:16 AM

I bought it. Why? I have been using Win7 for months and found it deserving of my money. I preordered it. Why? Because I was able to get it for $29.99 instead of the much higher retail pricing.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• #include "soul.h"
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:18 AM

I am getting the free upgrade with the promotion they had going.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:43 AM

I got the full professional version from the msdnaa at uni for free as well but I canít really install it until I get back home because itís not possible to upgrade from the windows 7 ultimate RC to the windows 7 professional release which is understandable but a complete pain as all my personal data is on a network drive that I sync to my laptop. I also think I've been forced into installing it onto all the machines my family has so that will be a few days of pain when I get back.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Baller
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:53 AM

Damn, that's a minor problem I guess. I didn't think about it when I purchased my upgrade. Guess I will have to install vista or something first. I also had the copy from MSDNAA but I used that license on one of my computers already and needed another.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:54 AM

As far as I'm aware, just like previous "Upgrade" versions, you don't actually have to upgrade - Just choose Custom on the install.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2009 - 09:47 AM

Even the few remaining XP Idiots are considering moving to 7 from what I've seen - That's a biggggg step

I am thinking of putting XP back on my desktop from Vista. There is no benefit to "Jump into 7" for me. So I guess that makes me only half an idiot.

If I really wanted to upgrade I would install Ubuntu 9.10 on my production machine.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:03 AM

no doubt I'll probably be forced into using it at some point, i don't mind, you gotta move with tech! I don't know what all the fuss is about with the 'touch screen' thing though. I can just see it now, greasy paw marks all over the screen yuk!! :)

This post has been edited by 1cookie: 22 October 2009 - 10:03 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:06 AM

View PostNykc, on 22 Oct, 2009 - 08:47 AM, said:

If I really wanted to upgrade I would install Ubuntu 9.10 on my production machine.

I'll say prayers for your quick+safe return to sanity ;)

View Post1cookie, on 22 Oct, 2009 - 09:03 AM, said:

no doubt I'll probably be forced into using it at some point, i don't mind, you gotta move with tech! I don't know what all the fuss is about with the 'touch screen' thing though. I can just see it now, greasy paw marks all over the screen yuk!! :)

Haha, I think it's more about the multitouch technology and how it's put to use within the OS, it's pretty amazing - Tried it out??

This post has been edited by RudiVisser: 22 October 2009 - 10:07 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:10 AM

Haha, I think it's more about the multitouch technology and how it's put to use within the OS, it's pretty amazing - Tried it out??

I haven't. :) I'll prolly fall in love with it like! :) Anayways, theres nothing wrong with Vista!....bold statement! lol

This post has been edited by 1cookie: 22 October 2009 - 10:12 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:10 AM

My husband bought 2 Home Ed and 1 Profession Ed.

I'm kind of excited.

Even the few remaining XP Idiots are considering moving to 7 from what I've seen - That's a biggggg step

And I never upgraded to Vista because
1. Couldn't afford it
2. Hated it from having to do tech support for clients that ran it.

I work as Tech Support for an EMT software company and it was h311 having to deal with clients running Vista.

Now my mom's computer that had Vista wasn't bad to deal with. I liked it on hers, but hate it on our clients...

This post has been edited by MacAnimeGirl: 22 October 2009 - 10:13 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:14 AM

View Post1cookie, on 22 Oct, 2009 - 09:10 AM, said:

Anyways, theres nothing wrong with Vista!....bold statement! lol

I'm with ya :D But I still love Windows 7 and the changes it has from Vista.

View PostMacAnimeGirl, on 22 Oct, 2009 - 09:10 AM, said:

I liked it on hers, but hate it on our clients...

I'm with you too on that, I've never ever had a single issue with Vista, but my machine was built for Vista from the start, fastest processor available at the time, 4GB RAM, big HDs, etc. It never ever ran slow, it never ever crashed, and I never had any compatibility issues with the programs I used. Like you say, it's a different story for clients (or many non-savvy people), and I think it was primarily due to the manufacturers mis-advertising their systems as "more than capable for Windows Vista", when they really weren't - Thus shipping underpowered hardware.

This post has been edited by RudiVisser: 22 October 2009 - 10:17 AM

Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:19 AM

The only problems I've had out of Vista specifically are:

1. It's quite a bit slower than XP overall
2. Many games are incompatible, though you can generally get them to work (all but a few).
3. You can't play line-in through your speakers (hopefully this is fixed in 7).

In total, Vista is better than XP in security and operation. I've talked to a few people with 7 and they said it's uber fast, so that's a great upgrade from one of the Vista's problems. As far as the compatibility of all XP and Vista games and software working seemingly on 7, all I can do is hope. If anyone knows, please tell me.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Regular

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:22 AM

I've never ever had a single issue with Vista, but my machine was built for Vista from the start, fastest processor available at the time, 4GB RAM, big HDs, etc. It never ever ran slow, it never ever crashed, and I never had any compatibility issues with the programs I used. Like you say, it's a different story for clients (or many non-savvy people), and I think it was primarily due to the manufacturers mis-advertising their systems as "more than capable for Windows Vista", when they really weren't - Thus shipping underpowered hardware.

...I agree, turn off all the bells and whistles, switch off all the unnecessary s and it runs pretty fast and without incident, even on a two year old box with a measly 1gig of ram! :)
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• Gentleman of Leisure
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 22 October 2009 - 10:25 AM

If my safe return to sanity involves M$ - those days have long since been gone my friend. :) I have found Linux and never looked back since.

But I am not here to make an OS war, Windows is great for people less educated on how to use a PC. They can point and click there way to facebook, check emails and chat with their buddies.

Windows is pretty much regarded as the standard in the corporate world. Schools and Universities force you to learn Office and tell you that there is no other alternatives.

I actually heard this first hand when I went to school. I also had to argue the fact that I can do my Word homework in Word 2003, just because she had Word 2007. She wasn't aware you could convert .docx files and make them readable in older versions of Word as well.

It is amazing that our educators are brainwashed by the fact that there are no other alternatives to Windows.

As for touch screen, there is nothing more that irks me than a figer-banged screen.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »