Storing Data in C++

What is the best way to store and retrieve info?

Page 1 of 1

2 Replies - 2589 Views - Last Post: 22 October 2009 - 08:34 AM Rate Topic: -----

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Storing Data in C++

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:44 AM

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to learn C++ for a few weeks using online tut's, I want to start making an actual useful programme that I can use at work because I think this is the best way to learn, I am by no means ready to start making a program to do what I require, but I think it will be a fantastic learning curve to build and learn as I go on something that is going to be useful and that I want to see finished. Anyway I wanted to know as I have only used ifstream and ofstream to output to text files at the moment what is the best way to store large amounts of information? Would it be SQL? or is there some other C++ specific methods? I was thinking SQL over text files as I want to store customer details, order details, order history, cost prices, profit and loss, products etc, and I thought SQL would be a structured way to store all this. From my experience with text files it would be more complex to read all the information I want from a text file and put it into some sort of order? Can anyone advise?

This post has been edited by 4D1: 22 October 2009 - 07:45 AM

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Storing Data in C++

• Saucy!
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Storing Data in C++

Posted 22 October 2009 - 07:50 AM

For your ends, it seems that SQL would be the way to go. But if you're just starting out, you're right; it's a long row to hoe.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head

• View blog

Re: Storing Data in C++

Posted 22 October 2009 - 08:34 AM

Are there other methods besides SQL and text files?
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1