Here is my site up and running. http://www.fordracers.com/ It's not completely finished, I'm still waiting for the .php based forums to be released and I'm still working on customizing the chat room. But let me know what you think and what I should add, thanks!
(Edited by Red93Cobra at 7:12 pm on April 11, 2002)
just one thing, i got to get out of here fast. ill come back and give a little more later.
the contact link, i dont like it when it goes straight to an email address. make it go to a page w/ the email addres.. then u could also include some other info, if u dont want 2 include anything else still put another page, it may be just me but i dont like it when it goes straight and opens up outlook.
I like it! Like capty said about the e-mail thing, I don't know why but I don't like it when sites do that either. If you don't want to create a separate page than type out the whole address firstname.lastname@example.org instead of FordRacers. That way it gives an indication of being a link that opens in outlook. Or whatever. Also, the red links on the right nav sort of give me seisures like red on green or blue on red. Nice work. I like the head with onslaught of facts about Fords. Although I'd never buy a Ford...but that's not relating to the design. No flames please, I don't care. Good solid design.
ok, i love the layout, great work, just a few little problems that i can see
1) the particular shade of red that you're using, a little tough on the eyes, i'd try a darker shade, perhaps the shade of the 'Ford Racers' title
2) 'coming' only has one 'm' you'll want to fix that for professionalism sake, unless you're going for the long drawn out effect in which case i'd add at least 2 more m's
3) there's this little out of place red dash on the same line as your contact link, but on the darker gray, i think it might be something accident, but just thought i'd point it out so you know
other than those three things and the email issue mentioned by other members, excellent work i think
oh, one more thing, i didn't check it, but i see that you're using i-frames, do you have it so a page pops up just in case a person who's browser doesn't support i-frames can still see your content?
I second what fyrestorm said about the red links on the right hand side, a bit tough to read. Also, everything is so crisp except for the Ford Racers logo (I know it's suppose to have that blowin' in the wind look), but it seems a bit dithered----unless that's the effect your trying to create, in that case--nevermind.
Overall, I believe the meticulousness with which you approached this project is paying off, but ironically, is also producing the few problems that exist (red links on gray etc.). I suspect that because of the intensive attention, you're making some elementary errors you'd never make in our commercial work. This is only natural of course, when you work on something this strenuously and long, you become accustomed to seeing the errors.
I've four suggestions.
1. I believe the bar with the semi-transparent "9.2 seconds" etc. might look more appealing as a solid.
2. Additionally, the manner in which the motion blurred logo rides over the car in the background, makes it look as though the vehicle is in a high velocity reverse. This could easily be remedied by flipping the image horizontally. Naturally, this would pull the eye rightward, which is where the navigation is weighted anyway.
3. Also, what madcat caught is that your graphical departures from the AM modular angularities are more than a little disconcerting. I agree with him, but that's a good thing. There isn't much that's safe or serene about hitting 160 in 9.2 seconds.
4. By putting your external links on the index page you are demonstrating a rather unusual eagerness to lose your visitors quickly. Being trigger happy, I had actually clicked on a link before I noticed it was a path off the site.
Ya, I like the look and color sceme alot. The only thing I don't like is that scroll bar in the middle of the page. I hate them there, just cluters it up in my opinion. This is just my personal preference, so don't change it unless you think so as well.