Image editing throughout a directory

Take a directory, and all subdirectories, and convert the image files

Page 1 of 1

4 Replies - 1138 Views - Last Post: 26 October 2009 - 04:55 AM Rate Topic: -----

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Image editing throughout a directory

Post icon  Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:13 AM

Please excuse my having no code to display. I am new to C/C++ and am trying to learn on my own.

I have searched Google as well as a few books on C and C++ I own, but I can not find any information on loading and/or manipulating image files such as .png, .bmp, and .jpg.

I want to write a program that takes a directory, say "Folder", and takes every image file, like all .pngs, and converts them all to black and white .bmps.

The program should go through all subdirectories under "Folder" and do the same to all the files therein.

I am not asking for code. Please understand. I am just trying to find out how to start learning image editing with C/C++. I know a good deal of the Ada language, so I can pick up another language ok, just no luck on the image stuff.

I have had no luck searching the net for this information.

Is This A Good Question/Topic? 0
  • +

Replies To: Image editing throughout a directory

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Re: Image editing throughout a directory

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:33 AM

Hello,

View PostVelvetKarudaLeopard, on 25 Oct, 2009 - 11:13 PM, said:

Please excuse my having no code to display. I am new to C/C++ and am trying to learn on my own.

I have searched Google as well as a few books on C and C++ I own, but I can not find any information on loading and/or manipulating image files such as .png, .bmp, and .jpg.

So do you want to create you're own graphc format reading/writing library?? Or use one that's built already??

If you want a to do it yourself then the Enclycodepia of Graphics formats and even Wiki has the format specifications

Jw
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2009 - 12:49 AM

I would be willing to use a prebuilt library if I knew of one.

The program I wish to write will not have the need to display anything. It will be just dandy as a pure command line program. I am only interested in the successful conversion of the image files.

For my example, I have a main folder with three subfolders, all filled with .pngs that need to be converted to B/W .bmps.

I know it sounds like I am asking for a handout, but please believe me when I say I want to learn to do this, not be handed some code for free.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• D.I.C Head
  • member icon

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2009 - 01:08 AM

View PostVelvetKarudaLeopard, on 25 Oct, 2009 - 11:49 PM, said:

I would be willing to use a prebuilt library if I knew of one.

The program I wish to write will not have the need to display anything. It will be just dandy as a pure command line program. I am only interested in the successful conversion of the image files.

For my example, I have a main folder with three subfolders, all filled with .pngs that need to be converted to B/W .bmps.

I know it sounds like I am asking for a handout, but please believe me when I say I want to learn to do this, not be handed some code for free.

Search for Magick++ then...

Jw
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

• New D.I.C Head

• View blog

Posted 26 October 2009 - 04:55 AM

[/quote]

Search for Magick++ then...

Jw
[/quote]

Ok. I just tried to install Magick++ from source from their website and it continues to fail with an error saying -lperl can not be found. I am using Ubuntu 9.04 x86_64.

I am not going to give up. I am going to try again tomorrow if I don't have time tonight. I am working on some CT Scan files right now and it is sucking my time.
Was This Post Helpful? 0
  • +
  • -

Page 1 of 1